PDA

View Full Version : Google Latitude!

DamianTV
04-14-2009, 05:11 AM
:mad:

http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html

See where your friends are right now

Oh my god this just screams total Invasion of Privacy on so many levels!

I swear to that little gross looking thing floating in my beer that if ANY of my friends ever use this shit on me I am going to knock their fucking teeth out!

malkusm
04-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up - I signed into my Google account and changed my settings so that the program won't detect where I am. Although, it looks like you can only get info on people in your contacts/friends anyway, which I don't have any listed on Google...

DamianTV
04-14-2009, 05:25 AM
So, what do you do when your "friend" is the US Govt and they've come looking for you? Im sure there is a setting Google has made (invisible to us) for that...

The electronic leash tightens!

Kludge
04-14-2009, 05:27 AM
Well... Every idea isn't a winner. I don't see much practical use in this over existing alternatives, and I imagine this is just one thread of many.

Kludge
04-14-2009, 05:31 AM
So, what do you do when your "friend" is the US Govt and they've come looking for you? Im sure there is a setting Google has made (invisible to us) for that...

The electronic leash tightens!

The U.S. government required in 2005 that all cell phone manufacturers start including GPS in their phones so that the government can track you. This is not new at all. Cell phones are an incredible danger to political dissidents and future (and current!) "terrorists".

DamianTV
04-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Since 2002 I believe, all car manufacturers have been required to also have GPS systems installed.

Yeah its not new, but I dont think this will really hit the news until some google stalker kills his victim via knowing their location via cell phone. Of course with the way our media is, we would be lucky to hear so much as a peep out of them if something like that were to happen.

idiom
04-14-2009, 06:32 AM
The U.S. government required in 2005 that all cell phone manufacturers start including GPS in their phones so that the government can track you. This is not new at all. Cell phones are an incredible danger to political dissidents and future (and current!) "terrorists".

Just drop the phone in an aluminium lined purse or pocket.

We're all tinfoilers now!

DamianTV
04-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Shit! Im out of tinfoil trying to tinfoil wrap my car! Can I borrow, oh say, 500 rolls of tinfoil? I promise I'll give it back when Im done with it!

idiom
04-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Also when did GPS start transmitting? The GPS in your phone can only be used to track you via a cellular inquiry.

To track a GPS in your car it would need some sort of adjunct transmitter.

DamianTV
04-14-2009, 07:23 AM
I vaguely remember a Penn & Teller where, IIRC, they had all the GPS data being transmitted back to the LA country traffic center. It used cell towers to transmit the data. That is, if I remember correctly. Couldnt find a link to it tho.

The upside of this that we wont hear from the cops, however, is the likelyhood that we all get to find out how many bullshit tickets they have been issuing to unsuspecting motorists who had not committed any crime to begin with!

http://www.expandmywealth.com/2008/01/11/gps-vs-radar-new-defense-for-speeding-tickets/