PDA

View Full Version : Bush 6 to be indicted in Spain

lynnf
04-14-2009, 04:30 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-04-13/the-bush-six-to-be-indicted

by Scott Horton - April 13, 2009

Spanish prosecutors will seek criminal charges against Alberto Gonzales and five high-ranking Bush administration officials for sanctioning torture at Guantánamo. By Scott Horton.

Spanish prosecutors have decided to press forward with a criminal investigation targeting former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and five top associates over their role in the torture of five Spanish citizens held at Guantánamo, several reliable sources close to the investigation have told The Daily Beast. Their decision is expected to be announced on Tuesday before the Spanish central criminal court, the Audencia Nacional, in Madrid. But the decision is likely to raise concerns with the human-rights community on other points: They will seek to have the case referred to a different judge...

------------------------
lynn

lynnf
04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.alternet.org/rights/135937/why_spain_can_actually_prosecute_bush_and_co._for_ their_crimes/

Why Spain Can Actually Prosecute Bush and Co. for Their Crimes

By Marjorie Cohn, San Francisco Chronicle. Posted April 10, 2009

A Spanish court has initiated criminal proceedings against six former officials of the Bush administration. John Yoo, Jay Bybee, David Addington, Alberto Gonzales, William Haynes and Douglas Feith may face charges in Spain for authorizing torture at Guantánamo Bay.

If arrest warrants are issued, Spain and any of the other 24 countries that are parties to European extradition conventions could arrest these six men when they travel abroad.

They can use "universal jurisdiction," often used to prosecute foreign nationals for crimes that shock the conscience of the global community.

A Spanish court has initiated criminal proceedings against six former officials of the Bush administration. John Yoo, Jay Bybee, David Addington, Alberto Gonzales, William Haynes and Douglas Feith may face charges in Spain for authorizing torture at Guantánamo Bay.

If arrest warrants are issued, Spain and any of the other 24 countries that are parties to European extradition conventions could arrest these six men when they travel abroad.

lynn

speciallyblend
04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Go Spain:)

Feelgood
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Wow, as much as I hate Bush and his cronies, if Spain or any other country tried that shit, I would have to enlist in the military or take up arms myself to go fight those bastards. Yea I wouldnt stand a chance, I know, but what are in those articles is just out right criminal in itself. IMO its flat out kidnapping of a US citizen, regardless of what they think or how they feel about him. :rolleyes:

Indy4Chng
04-14-2009, 11:02 PM
You don't actually believe that other countries should be able to prosecute our citizens do you? I thought we were against the NWO and for national sovereignty.... am I mistaken????:confused:

RonPaulFanInGA
04-14-2009, 11:23 PM
You don't actually believe that other countries should be able to prosecute our citizens do you? I thought we were against the NWO and for national sovereignty....

I agree.

acptulsa
04-15-2009, 06:06 AM
I don't think Spain is planning to try to come get them.

I do think the world just keeps getting smaller and smaller for those criminals. You can't take them anywhere--except Dubai, of course.

What I don't understand is there are felony warrants out for them in certain U.S. jurisdictions, but they aren't getting extradicted. Yet the Constitution calls for extradition between states for accused felons. What's up with that?

Reason
04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
YouTube - Spanish Judge Keeps Bush Torture Prosecutions Alive! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nnp8aAroU8)

dgr
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I guess president Bush forgot to read the TranAtlantic US-EU Interragration Agreement, when he sidned it ''WE WILL SUPPORT AND WORK TOGETHER ACTIVELY IN A SPIRIT OF MUTUAL RESPECT AND COOPERATION TO ADVANCE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND ACCOUNTABILITY FOR WAR CRIMES, GENOCIDE AND CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY"

oophs

lynnf
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
http://en.timeturk.com/spain-court-mulls-us-torture-case--17679-haberi.html

Spain court mulls US torture case
Spanish judges have agreed to consider charging six former US officials with providing legal justification for alleged torture at Guantanamo Bay.

Judge Garzon was responsible for bringing a prosecution against former Chilean leader Augusto Pinochet, who was arrested in the UK in 1998.

lynn