PDA

View Full Version : Maddow talks about Ron Paul - Tea Party connection

BenIsForRon
04-14-2009, 01:01 AM
She had a whole segment comparing the grassroots Ron Paul movement against the top-down "astroturf" tea party thing happening in a few days.

It was mostly a good segment, talking about how well we organized during the campaign. Towards the end though, they made a couple jabs that seemed to discount our ideology. We should email her and tell her to have Ron Paul on and get the complete story.

pahs1994
04-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Anyone tube it?

HOLLYWOOD
04-14-2009, 01:28 AM
She's well aware and had Ron on before and actually gave him some time to speak. Still this doesn't discount her Ideology and that Clown from Air America slandering the nationwide TEA PARTY cause as. a fringe group of people, manufactured Fake Grass Roots. Then Cox with that "morphus outrage with the Tea Baggin leader" nonsense.

Of course the preposition junk... I didn't realize that Keynesian Paul Krugman, is now well versed on International pirating commerce(latest statements) and astro turf grass root tea parties and investigation into poticial affiliation. Seems the more Krugman opens his mouth, the more his true colors shine through.

Yes, the usual, give some accolades (to appear unbiased), only to discredit later in the subject, typical MSM Bias coverage/trailer 101.

BenIsForRon
04-14-2009, 01:48 AM
How I see this tea party is that it is in a sense "astroturf". The people promoting this are the same people behind fox news and some other neocon organizations. The actual people participating in these protests are genuinely angry republicans, however, many are misguided.

I'm totally participating in my local tea party, just to help spread C4L ideals. I just know the score and realize that this isn't some popular uprising, but a finely planned political tool for certain groups that aren't going to benefit from this stimulus like other industries.

IPSecure
04-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Anyone tube it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJBcnVbYLY

0zzy
04-14-2009, 02:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKUdEOLrUxo

Dripping Rain
04-14-2009, 02:38 AM

that was excellent coverage. thanks

hotbrownsauce
04-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Oh wow... we need to set the record STRAIGHT

At about the 4:20 mark on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJBcnVbYLY the guest Ana Marie Cox says "the Ron Paul people are very anti-tax of any kind."

We need to e-mail blast the Maddow show. We need to hold everyone accountable as we would our government for making false accusations! I believe many of us are for "much LESS taxes in an ideally sound Constitutional manner", not "anti-tax of any kind."

I'm also going to include something about it isn't Ron Paul, the message carrier, that I am completely "disillusioned" and "fascinated" with, it's the freedom, limited constitutional government, states right message that I am a thorough supporter of. The fascination everyone thinks they see we have for Paul don't understand it is the MESSAGE not him. Plus he is one of the only principled creditable men on the hill. It would be unfair that a media outlet spread half-truths or lies.

Send e-mail to rachel@msnbc.com

TheTyke
04-14-2009, 03:26 AM
Despite the problems, I really loved the piece! I spontaneously wrote an email, which is rare for me:

Rachel,

I appreciated the credit you gave to the Ron Paul R(evol)ution for using the tea party idea before the more synthetic version of today! Thanks for a wonderful piece.

You seemed puzzled as to our purpose, so I thought I’d explain it. Government spending is taxation. The government cannot create wealth – it can only take it from its citizens. Whether it taxes, borrows, or prints the money (devaluing the currency), the people of the United States always pay the bill. And, as we know, large corporations and powerful lobbies influence where that money goes – if spending was truly for the people, they’d be left to decide what to do with their money.

Since the Bush administration spent far more than any administration that came before, and with Obama working on spending far more than that, we may accurately look at them as the greatest taxers in US history.

We hope to spread these concepts at the tea parties, and keep them from being a mere party façade.

We support Ron Paul because he makes sense, and acts on principle. I would love to see him on your show again to explain our positions, and talk about important legislation like HR1207 to Audit the Federal Reserve for its role in our economic woes.

Thanks again!

hotbrownsauce
04-14-2009, 03:43 AM
I encourage everyone to e-mail the Maddow show

rachel@msnbc.com

You can use my letter on one condition, you reword it. Using the same kind of letter just helps the letter get ignored easier.

Who cares if the tea parties are or aren't spontaneous? You are insinuating that if the tea parties are promoted by certain people that the events are less meaningful. Why should that (if it's true) all of a sudden make the tea parties any less credible? The people who go to the tea parties are there of their own will protesting high taxes and protesting government bailouts because that is what they believe. It is not because they are told to or paid to. And just because entities may be behind the scenes helping organize the events shouldn't make the events any less meaningful. I encourage organization so more people show up to voice their thoughts.

Ana Marie Cox said, "the Ron Paul people are very anti-tax of any kind." Correction! I and just about everyone who was part of the Ron Paul campaign believe in much LESS taxes in an ideally sound Constitutional manner, not "anti-tax of any kind". This is gross negligence of the truth and makes us sound extreme. I think it would be unfair if the media can say what they think is true before knowing it is true first and not correct their mistake. I watch this show from time to time. I hope similar experiences don't happen in the future.

Rachel said, "I noticed even through the presidential campaign...that he [Ron Paul] sort of disavowed the movement around himself even though it was so obviously about him." I am unsure what Rachel was saying. I hope she wasn't saying supporters flocked to him because he is Ron Paul and we know nothing. If that is what she was saying then she is completely wrong. Ron Paul supporters flocked to him because of the message of freedom, liberty, and a limited constitutional government and we'll continue to flock to anyone who shares similar ideas to ours. It was never about Ron, it was about promoting the principles of freedom. Paul is one of our voices and we will continue to support the heck out of him and everyone else who have values similar to ours.

nayjevin
04-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Despite the problems, I really loved the piece! I spontaneously wrote an email, which is rare for me:

Rachel,

I appreciated the credit you gave to the Ron Paul R(evol)ution for using the tea party idea before the more synthetic version of today! Thanks for a wonderful piece.

You seemed puzzled as to our purpose, so I thought I’d explain it. Government spending is taxation. The government cannot create wealth – it can only take it from its citizens. Whether it taxes, borrows, or prints the money (devaluing the currency), the people of the United States always pay the bill. And, as we know, large corporations and powerful lobbies influence where that money goes – if spending was truly for the people, they’d be left to decide what to do with their money.

Since the Bush administration spent far more than any administration that came before, and with Obama working on spending far more than that, we may accurately look at them as the greatest taxers in US history.

We hope to spread these concepts at the tea parties, and keep them from being a mere party façade.

We support Ron Paul because he makes sense, and acts on principle. I would love to see him on your show again to explain our positions, and talk about important legislation like HR1207 to Audit the Federal Reserve for its role in our economic woes.

Thanks again!

woohoo!

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1120/woohoo.gif

Government spending is taxation. The government cannot create wealth – it can only take it from its citizens. Whether it taxes, borrows, or prints the money (devaluing the currency), the people of the United States always pay the bill. And, as we know, large corporations and powerful lobbies influence where that money goes – if spending was truly for the people, they’d be left to decide what to do with their money. <-- epic

nayjevin
04-14-2009, 03:57 AM
mine:

WOW

I didn't realize that some of the Tea Parties were being run by such transparent political interests.

I'm not sending any teabags to DC, I think that's tacky, and wasteful.

I will, however, be attending my local tea party to remind folks that the theft of our citizens' wealth is a bi-partisan effort.

End the Fed,

Jay Nevin

speciallyblend
04-14-2009, 04:57 AM
mine:

good one. i plan on attending wed in denver colorado:)

angelatc
04-14-2009, 05:20 AM
How I see this tea party is that it is in a sense "astroturf". The people promoting this are the same people behind fox news and some other neocon organizations.

They jumped on after the Cincinnati party was such a success. There's no reason to open the tent if we're not going to let anybody in.

speciallyblend
04-14-2009, 05:46 AM
They jumped on after the Cincinnati party was such a success. There's no reason to open the tent if we're not going to let anybody in.

we can always let folks in,but the problem is they are not coming in our tent, they are burning it!!

they have already hi-jacked the tea party. my bet is they spoil the tea party.

i plan on attending the tea party,but i expect it will be overrun by deaf dumb and blind neo-cons.

i am more concerned about the neo-cons and brainwashed old right wing of the gop then the media.

i will be looking for non brainwashed republicans and outsiders to educate. if i see any fox idiots or brainwashed gop folks ,i will be telling them to end the gop corruption!!

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Letter to Rachel:

Dear Rachel,

Your recent piece indicated your deep interest (and possible obsession) with Tea-Bagging activites. It is obvious to me that you are considering changing sides. Please contact me at your earliest convenience, and it would be my pleasure to introduce you to the other side.

Fondley yours,
xxxxxx xxxxxxx
xoxoxoxox@hotmail.com

The whole piece was a bit Onionesque... ;)

pahs1994
04-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks! this is why i missed coming to RPF. All you have to do is ask and you shall recieve :D

Chieftain1776
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Ana Marie Cox is a wonktard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_Marie_Cox). And Wonktards read RPF (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=188527). "In December of 2007, your editor heard about a wonderful idea hatched (of course) on RonPaulForums.com — they wanted to rent an advertising blimp..."

And most of the active Wonktards are somewhat familiar with our ideology.

Chieftain1776
04-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Letter to Rachel:

The whole piece was a bit Onionesque... ;)

Did you really email that? Hopefully you didn't mention Ron Paul.. if so that's unfortunate. Maddow is a fan (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=164078) of Ron Paul's (for what that's worth).

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Did you really email that? Hopefully you didn't mention Ron Paul.. if so that's unfortunate. Maddow is a fan (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=164078) of Ron Paul's (for what that's worth).

Lol! I am assuming she would see the humor in it. :D

They have certainly beat the dead horse into creamed dog food in regard to MSNBC's bad tea-bagging joke. How many times can they say it?

I'm sure Rachel agrees with Ron on some issues. Big deal. So does Hannity.

If it makes you feel better, no, it wasn't emailed to her. I won't even send her a tea-bag just so that I can say I tea-bagged Rachel Maddow. :eek: :D

Who knows, maybe she really does want to change sides and attend a Tea Party...

LibertyEagle
04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
That is not today's segment. Go here to watch "Tea vs. Tea". It's much better.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#30218198

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2009, 09:48 PM
That is not today's segment. Go here to watch "Tea vs. Tea". It's much better.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#30218198

I saw today's too. I don't get the excitement around here. Certainly she gave the Ron Paul movement some credit for last year's Tea Party events, but it's a hit piece.

All MSNBC has been doing is a 24x7 divide and conquer on the whole Tea Party anti-Bailout and anti-Tax concept. Very straight forward propaganda. They are trying to undermine us, not support us.

speciallyblend
04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I saw today's too. I don't get the excitement around here. Certainly she gave the Ron Paul movement some credit for last year's Tea Party events, but it's a hit piece.

All MSNBC has been doing is a 24x7 divide and conquer on the whole Tea Party anti-Bailout and anti-Tax concept. Very straight forward propaganda. They are trying to undermine us, not support us.

actually they just informed americans. that we are republicans and libertarians fighting the gop:)

better then nothing , we must be doing something right or we the grassroots wouldn't be on tv and fighting the old guard corrupt gop:)

Mandrik
04-14-2009, 09:58 PM
She spent another day making idiotic "tea bagging" jokes as if her target audience is junior varsity football teams. Oh my, u r hilarious with the tea bagging!

She isn't really focusing on what the rallies are about. I think the only reason she's even talking about it all is because it's another way to do a hit on mainstream Republicans. I'd rather her talk about how we're trying to spread support for HR1207, and Austrian economics.

Chieftain1776
04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Lol! I am assuming she would see the humor in it. :D

They have certainly beat the dead horse into creamed dog food in regard to MSNBC's bad tea-bagging joke. How many times can they say it?

I'm sure Rachel agrees with Ron on some issues. Big deal. So does Hannity.

If it makes you feel better, no, it wasn't emailed to her. I won't even send her a tea-bag just so that I can say I tea-bagged Rachel Maddow. :eek: :D

Who knows, maybe she really does want to change sides and attend a Tea Party...

Good Stuff. Unfortunately I don't know whot to make of Stephen Gordon who brought teabags to the show and referenced them a lot even though Maddow & Co have been making fun of it mercilessly and Ana Marie Cox did give libertarians props for knowing what tea bagging was the night before :rolleyes:

Oh and to those who realized it late like me. Apparently THERE ARE TWO CONSECUTIVE SHOWS. Can the ORIGINAL POSTER please edit thier OP and add the links? Thanks.

1st night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJBcnVbYLY

2nd night: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#30218165

AdamT
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Interesting how she kept mentioning the urban dictionary, as if wanting people to go there and look up "tea bagging". LOL actually the phrase has moved to the UD homepage (http://www.urbandictionary.com/) - looks like people have been looking it up.

RSLudlum
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
So she lists anti-tax, anti-fed, and pro-gold standard as a means of claiming RP supporters are "crazy and wacky"? And by omitting supporter's anti-Aggressive Wars, anti-telecom immunity, and anti-Patriot Act stance from the list, Maddow keeps the viewers (of which a majority are probably left leaning) in the dark on agreeable positions.

<sarcasm>I'd say the she deserves a raise for the effort she puts into biased, willful neglect. </sarcasm>

Athan
04-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Thing is, I would much rather cuddle with Rachel Maddow than hannity or levin.
And I'm a long time paleo-conservative.

Matt Collins
01-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Thing is, I would much rather cuddle with Rachel Maddow than hannity or levin.
And I'm a long time paleo-conservative.Unless you are a girl, I don't think Rachel wants to cuddle with you ;)

mello
01-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Does anyone remember a youtube of an early tea party event where a republican
politician was heckled off stage for being a hypocrite by Ron Paul supporters since he voted
for all the bailouts? I remember people in the crowd turning away from the stage. I'd
love to see that video again.

Hayek's Heroes
01-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I always like John Boehner saying that he'd vote for it again while the crowd yells at him. Bet he wishes he could have this one back. Bailout question starts at 8:00 til the end.

YouTube - House Leader John Boehner - Voice Of America Rally - 18,000 Strong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByGeVVaff4Y)

Matt Collins
01-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Start 2:30 into the video....

YouTube - Stephen Gordon on Rachel Maddow #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRLPXEr3ZoQ)

revolutionary8
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Does anyone remember a youtube of an early tea party event where a republican
politician was heckled off stage for being a hypocrite by Ron Paul supporters since he voted
for all the bailouts? I remember people in the crowd turning away from the stage. I'd
love to see that video again.

I believe this is what you might be talking about...

John Cornyn, Rick Perry Booed at Fourth of July Tea Party Event

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/8942/john-cornyn-rick-perry-booed-at-fourth-of-july-tea-party-event
by: Matt Glazer
Mon Jul 06, 2009 at 09:41 AM CDT

I hope you had a better Fourth of July than Rick Perry and John Cornyn.

Andrea Lorenz wrote about the event for the Statesman.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn drew boos from a crowd outside the Texas Capitol this afternoon as he spoke at a "tea party" rally organized by the Texas office of Americans for Prosperity.

[...]

"You're the problem," a crowd member hollered.

Another crowd member yelled that Cornyn voted for the initial federal bailout of Wall Street approved by Congress last year, the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

Cornyn admits to the Statesman he wasn't sure what the reaction would be like, but said, "I didn't want to come some place that I wasn't wanted."

Clearly he was wrong.

Cornyn is the current chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee and is one of the de facto leaders of the Republican Party in the U.S. Senate. This July 4th event shows the problem the Republican Party is having throughout Texas and the country. Their inability to lead at any level of government and their continued failures is costing them both elections and their natural base of support.

The ire wasn't directed at just Washington, Republican Governor Rick Perry also drew more than a few boos as well.

Perry drew scattered boos, notably from crowd members aware of his advocacy of toll roads to relieve traffic congestion.

If the Republican base is furious at their own party and the Democratic party in Texas is highly motivated and organized, it's hard not being optimistic about the upcoming cycle.

Update: The video is really interesting to watch.

YouTube - Sen John Cornyn at Austin Tea Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92zmYCd81s&feature=player_embedded#at=176)

mello
01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I believe this is what you might be talking about...

John Cornyn, Rick Perry Booed at Fourth of July Tea Party Event

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/8942/john-cornyn-rick-perry-booed-at-fourth-of-july-tea-party-event
by: Matt Glazer
Mon Jul 06, 2009 at 09:41 AM CDT

I hope you had a better Fourth of July than Rick Perry and John Cornyn.

Andrea Lorenz wrote about the event for the Statesman.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn drew boos from a crowd outside the Texas Capitol this afternoon as he spoke at a "tea party" rally organized by the Texas office of Americans for Prosperity.

[...]

"You're the problem," a crowd member hollered.

Another crowd member yelled that Cornyn voted for the initial federal bailout of Wall Street approved by Congress last year, the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

Cornyn admits to the Statesman he wasn't sure what the reaction would be like, but said, "I didn't want to come some place that I wasn't wanted."

Clearly he was wrong.

Cornyn is the current chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee and is one of the de facto leaders of the Republican Party in the U.S. Senate. This July 4th event shows the problem the Republican Party is having throughout Texas and the country. Their inability to lead at any level of government and their continued failures is costing them both elections and their natural base of support.

The ire wasn't directed at just Washington, Republican Governor Rick Perry also drew more than a few boos as well.

Perry drew scattered boos, notably from crowd members aware of his advocacy of toll roads to relieve traffic congestion.

If the Republican base is furious at their own party and the Democratic party in Texas is highly motivated and organized, it's hard not being optimistic about the upcoming cycle.

Update: The video is really interesting to watch.

YouTube - Sen John Cornyn at Austin Tea Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92zmYCd81s&feature=player_embedded#at=176)

That was a good video but it wasn't the one that I saw. It was outdoors. The politician
was on a stage on the left side of the screen & the video repeatedly pans to the right
as the crowd berates him & then people start turning around so their backs are facing
him. He ends up leaving after 5 minutes of getting torn a new one.

revolutionary8
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
That was a good video but it wasn't the one that I saw. It was outdoors. The politician
was on a stage on the left side of the screen & the video repeatedly pans to the right
as the crowd berates him & then people start turning around so their backs are facing
him. He ends up leaving after 5 minutes of getting torn a new one.

Okay, here you go:

CONGRESSMAN, GUBERNATORIAL CANDIDATE, SUFFERS WRATH OF ANGRY CROWD FOR VOTING FOR BAILOUT, SUPPORTING STIMULUS

The message from folks in Greenville to Congressman Gresham Barrett was clear Friday evening: Voters are mad about the $700 billion bailout he voted for and the massive government stimulus package he is now supporting.

Barrett, a Republican, attempted to speak before an estimated crowd of 4,000 people at a Post Tax Day Tea Party in the Upstate only to be greeted by boos from most everyone in attendance.

None of the other speakers — including Gov. Mark Sanford, Sen. Jim DeMint and Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer — were booed.

Protesters screamed “go home” and blew air horns during the duration of Barrett’s five minute speech. Some even turned their backs to him.

Messages on dozens of signs and hundreds of fliers also expressed a similar contempt for “Bailout Barrett.”

The gubernatorial candidate did his best to deliver his speech, but the crowd never let up.

“I know you’re mad, I know you’re frustrated, and I hear you,” a shaken Barrett said over the crowd. “You may boo, you may turn your back on me, but I’ll never turn my back on you.”

Barrett has come under heavy fire across the state for his bailout and stimulus support, something that will seriously hamper his gubernatorial bid. Especially with so much of the anger coming from his own backyard in the Upstate.

View the video on YouTube or in High Res on Viddler. To get involved in the South Carolina Tea Party movement, head to SCTeaParty.com.

YouTube - Barrett booed at Greenville Tea Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QsY2r7HbTM&feature=player_embedded)

mello
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
That was the video! I just love the consistent booing & shouts of "GO HOME"!

Brian4Liberty
05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes, the usual, give some accolades (to appear unbiased), only to discredit later in the subject, typical MSM Bias coverage/trailer 101.

FYI, this is a very old thread.

"Hollywood" hit it on the head. ;)