PDA

View Full Version : "Who Killed the Constitution" by Thomas Woods and Kevin Gutzman

Barackistan
04-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I bought this book at the end of last year. A bit pricey at $29.95

The book talks about some of the unconstitutional practices by past presidents and unconstitutional Supreme Court decisions.

Namely:
1) Harry Truman's seizure of steel companies (sounds like Obama and GM)
2) FDR's seizure of gold commodities owned by US citizens
3) Busing students to meet race quotas
4) "Bridge to Nowhere" projects (aka Pork Barrel spending)
and much more...

It's a short read, about 200 pages. The final chapter asks us: "What to do from here?" where both authors simply say that there is nothing we citizens can do about it. A bit sad, but nonetheless it does pose an honest answer. :(

DamianTV
04-14-2009, 04:54 AM
I hate to say but Im not gonna blow $30 bucks to read it, especially when Im laid off.

But what is this honest answer that is discussed?

NightOwl
04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I bought this book at the end of last year. A bit pricey at $29.95

The book talks about some of the unconstitutional practices by past presidents and unconstitutional Supreme Court decisions.

The list price is $25.95 according to Amazon, which is selling it for $17.13.

It's an OK book, but not as interesting as Woods' others, in my opinion, particularly 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask and The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History.

silverhawks
04-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree, but it's a great book for all those "what about the constitution" people. Yes, the constitution is very important, but it has failed to restrain the government, and that has to be understood. The document has been bastardized by supreme court rulings that now are the law of the land whether we like it or not.

The Constitution is a piece of paper.

WE have failed to restrain the government.

Barackistan
04-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Offhand, I don't really remember what the answer was to how we can gain back control to the Constitution. However, the book itself said that it has been violated so many times that there is little chance of its revival as the true influence of our government.

I think our rights as citizens are unknown to most Americans because of our education system and our conditioning towards believing EVERYTHING the government does is right for us, while infringing on our civil liberties. (No need to go on here.)

But with that said, has anyone experienced in their lives in education from Kindergarten through college ever explained to you your rights as citizens? I haven't. Social studies courses hardly touch on it, yet you need to pass a state mandated or federally-mandated Constitution test in order to go into college.

Mostly just a bunch of propaganda and public opinion fuels our conditioning to believe that the government truly believes that they know what is right for all of us as citizens.

And when will we exercise our ruling power as a republic? Too many of we citizens speak about "democracy", "we the people" and "strength in numbers". What ever happened to Constitutional law?