PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Ron Paul delegation

Eric21ND
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
1.) Ron Paul, with an advantage in fundraising and somewhat favorable media coverage, Paul was unable to win a primary or caucus, or place as runner-up. What circumstances do you think would make him able to win in 2012?

2.) As of the Presidential Election last year, Ron Paul was 73, a year older than John McCain for whom many considered his age to be detrimental. If Paul runs in 2012, at the age of 77, how do you expect him to confront this issue successfully?

3.) Many Paul supporters deviated from the party in the General election. As the liberalism of the current Congress and President is what many conservatives would consider a nightmare scenario, what will you do if he loses primaries in the next election?

4.) Supposing that when Congressman Paul makes his announcement later this year of his intentions for 2012, and chooses NOT to run, who do you support at that time for the nomination?

nate895
04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
1) The "Fundraising Advantage" you speak of is made up. Ron Paul had ~$35,000,000 over the course of the campaign, compared to ~$105,000,000 for Romney and ~$59,000,000 for Giuliani (McCain also had more, but I can't find his primary numbers, just primary+general). Huckabee also did well with about half as much money as Ron Paul, but he got a ton of free media and his organization was better.

The circumstances that will lead to a Ron Paul victory in 2012 is that he predicted the crisis and has a popular, American message. Also, Ron Paul wasn't hardly heard of outside of a few libertarian circles before 2008, now he is well known to most politically active people, and those are the people who vote in primaries and caucuses. Ron Paul can also hopefully get a better organization than last time.

2) The reason why McCain's age was a problem is because he has had health problems in the past. As long as Ron Paul makes a demonstration of his youthfulness for his age, it won't be a problem. If he acts like Fred Thompson did last election, well, we have a problem. He might want to make it clear that he wouldn't necessarily run for a second term.

3) Same thing I did last time: See if I like the Republican, almost assuredly, I won't. I will then choose the best candidate to support.

4) I don't know. I did like Johnson, but not so much anymore. Maybe Sanford, maybe. I really don't know other than that though.

brandon
04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
He already said he has no intentions of running again, so it's pretty much out of the picture.

There are no viable alternatives.

If the Libertarian party actually nominates a real libertarian in 2012 I'll probably vote for that person. Otherwise I just wont vote at all. And I won't campaign for any presidential candidates either.

Basically, it's Paul or nothing. And most likely it is nothing.

Gotta get people elected at local/state levels.

euphemia
04-13-2009, 05:20 PM
1. Some things have changed since last time. Ron Paul has become a very distinct and popular face and voice for the mainstream media. People are no longer afraid of Ron Paul. He has become a stablilizing factor in the upheaval of the present politcal climate. In addition, the Campaign for Liberty is gaining traction in a lot of places. If Washington continues to do business as usual, Ron Paul will be a very attractive candidate.

2. Ron Paul seems fit and healthy as far as anyone knows. He's had three careers, so that means he has a broad life experience. Ron Paul is amazingly popular with young voters, and they already don't think the age thing is a big deal.

3. If Ron Paul does not gain a nomination I will do what I did before: Research all the candidates and choose the one that best represents what I believe to be a Constitutitonal point of view.

4. I don't think I can make a choice right now, should Ron Paul decide not to run in 2012. I will wait to see who does plan to run and make a choice when there is a choice to make. I continue to stay in touch with various groups and will sign petitions and do what I have to do to see that the people of Tennessee have choices to make in the primaries and in the general election. Tennessee does not have open primaries, so we have to declare one way or the other when we go to the polls. We are not limited as to number of petititons we can sign to help get other people on the ballot, however. Election law differs from state to state, so what I decide in Tennessee has no bearing on the choices voters might be called on to make in other states.