PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Military Considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

Thrashertm
04-13-2009, 07:26 AM
The U.S. military is considering attacks on pirate bases on land and aid for the Somali people to help stem ship hijackings off Africa’s east coast, defense officials said.

The military also is drawing up proposals to aid the fledgling Somalia government to train security forces and develop its own coast guard, said the officials, who requested anonymity. The plans will be presented to the Obama administration as it considers a coordinated U.S. government and international response to piracy, the officials said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=aYhvgOfyTmYA

TER
04-13-2009, 07:32 AM
How many innocent people would die due to land missions/bombings compared to how many innocent people would die if instead you mounted machine guns on the ships instead?

acptulsa
04-13-2009, 07:36 AM
The Military Industrial Complex has seemingly finally installed in power their Dream Team. It took Raytheon sponsoring a lot of Time Magazine and Boeing a lot of "public" broadcasting propaganda, but they seem to have achieved the perfect rubric. Next thing we know the queen of England will turn off the tube during an Obama speech and we'll be invading the U.K.

We have become such bullies that we might as well make Mike Tyson czar. We make ancient Athens look like a church choir. We're big and bad and hard to overrun, but at this rate we're risking giving all the world a common enemy. And when that happens...

ghengis86
04-13-2009, 07:40 AM
How many innocent people would die due to land missions/bombings compared to how many innocent people would die if instead you mounted machine guns on the ships instead?

shit, a few Ak's, even a few 1911 .45's would do wonders. 4 pirates, FOUR FUCKING PIRATES, is all the manpower required to take of a multi-million dollar vessel with millions and millions of cargo!!! you've got to be fucking kidding me. I think i heard somewhere that the ports where the ships dock prohibit firearms, so that's why the ships are floating goldmines.

millions in u.s. military foreign intervention or a $500 to outfit the crew with the ubiquitous AK? the choice is obvious

acptulsa
04-13-2009, 07:43 AM
I think i heard somewhere that the ports where the ships dock prohibit firearms, so that's why the ships are floating goldmines.

A few of the ports. Not hardly all of them.

Seems to me like a problem that could be solved with one gun safe.

Thrashertm
04-13-2009, 07:47 AM

But it's much more profitable to Haliburton if we invade.

TER
04-13-2009, 07:49 AM
shit, a few Ak's, even a few 1911 .45's would do wonders. 4 pirates, FOUR FUCKING PIRATES, is all the manpower required to take of a multi-million dollar vessel with millions and millions of cargo!!! you've got to be fucking kidding me. I think i heard somewhere that the ports where the ships dock prohibit firearms, so that's why the ships are floating goldmines.

millions in u.s. military foreign intervention or a $500 to outfit the crew with the ubiquitous AK? the choice is obvious

Good point. This pirate problem could be solved almost overnight without invading a country and risking innocent lives.