PDA

View Full Version : Self described libertarian banker

BeFranklin
04-12-2009, 01:36 PM
"Beal has barely got a dime from the feds. A self-described "libertarian kind of guy," Beal believes the government helped create the credit crisis. "

The Banker Who Said No
Bernard Condon and Nathan Vardi, 04.03.09, 05:00 PM EDT
While the nation's lenders ran amok during the boom, Andy Beal hoarded his money. Now he's cleaning up--with scant help from Uncle Sam.

Standing outside the glass-domed headquarters of his Plano, Texas, bank in March, D. Andrew Beal presses a cellphone to his ear. He's discussing a deal to buy mortgage securities. In just a few minutes, the deal's done: His Beal Bank will buy $15 million of face value for $5 million. A few hours earlier he reviewed details on a $500 million loan his bank is making to a company heading into bankruptcy--the biggest he's ever done. A few floors above, workers are bent over computer screens preparing bids for chunks of $600 million in assets dumped by two imploded financial firms. In the last 15 months, Beal has purchased $800 million of loans from failed banks, probably more than anyone else.

Andy Beal, a 56-year-old, poker-playing college dropout, is a one-man toxic-asset eater--without a shred of government assistance. Beal plays his cards patiently. For three long years, from 2004 to 2007, he virtually stopped making or buying loans. While the credit markets were roaring and lenders were raking in billions, Beal shrank his bank's assets because he thought the loans were going to blow up. He cut his staff in half and killed time playing backgammon or racing cars. He took long lunches with friends, carping to them about "stupid loans." His odd behavior puzzled regulators, credit agencies and even his own board. They wondered why he was seemingly shutting the bank down, resisting the huge profits the nation's big banks were making.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/03/banking-andy-beal-business-wall-street-beal.html

strapko
04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
That's awesome. These types of banks would strive on the free unregulated market.

Chieftain1776
04-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Wow this is great! How @!#$@! is it that any profit he makes is going to be to bail out THE VERY EXACT scumbag behavior and institutions he avoided???

Chieftain1776
04-12-2009, 02:15 PM
OP you should send this to Lew Rockwell (lewrockwell@mac.com)..or if you'd prefer not to I will.

axiomata
04-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Definitely worth spreading around in market libertarian circles. If he opens a branch in my area, I'm moving my deposits.

AutoDas
04-13-2009, 08:43 PM
It's sad how he spent $200 million over 4 years in space but had to stop because he couldn't compete with the subsidies NASA gets.