PDA

View Full Version : News: Captain Free, 3 Pirates Dead

angelatc
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/12/somalia.pirates/index.html

The official said Capt. Richard Phillips is uninjured and in good condition, and that three of the four pirates were killed. The fourth pirate is in custody. Phillips was taken aboard the USS Bainbridge, a nearby naval warship.

Jeremy
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
owned.

Crew members aboard the freed cargo ship described how some of their colleagues attempted to "jump" their pirate captors.

A scuffle ensued and one of the sailors stabbed a pirate in the hand in the battle to retake the container ship, one of the sailors told CNN.

I bet that didn't happen with the European boats :D

fedup100
04-12-2009, 01:11 PM
So sad it took so long. This has shown America in a bad light as being helpless and leaderless.

klamath
04-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Good job. A proper move and use of the US Navy.

Objectivist
04-12-2009, 06:40 PM
SEALs WIN! HOO-YA!

He Who Pawns
04-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Good job, US Navy. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon14.gif

axiomata
04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Three simultaneous headshots in the midst of two boats bobbing with the waves. Impressive.

UtahApocalypse
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
According to the reports I heard the Captain was able to get out on his own. It was after he jumped ship into the ocean that the Navy took the shots. Obama left this US Citizen out to die and he found his own way out. FUCK that.

Spike
04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Good to see they still make men like Philips in America.

But that still doesn't excuse western governments dumping their waste in a third world country. Justice is long overdue for Somalia. But this was a small slice of justice for innocent ship men, so good on Philips and the US Navy..

axiomata
04-12-2009, 07:31 PM
According to the reports I heard the Captain was able to get out on his own. It was after he jumped ship into the ocean that the Navy took the shots. Obama left this US Citizen out to die and he found his own way out. FUCK that.

What I heard was he jumped in a few days ago and a few AK rounds over his head stopped his escape and the pirates pulled him back on board. It would have been badass if there was a seal scuba team under the boat at that time and if they would have pulled him under and gave him oxygen and made an underwater escape (bullets don't do much damage after a few feet in the water.)

But what the news is most recently saying is that the pirates had an AK pointed at his back and the US commander order his snipers to take them out.

He Who Pawns
04-12-2009, 08:00 PM
They said he was tied up inside the lifeboat when the shots were taken.

One of the pirates, who is like 16 yrs old, was stabbed during the initial "scuffle" on the freighter. That pirate was taken on board the navy guided missile cruiser to receive care for his stab wound. But then, according to the Navy, the pirate did not want to go back on the lifeboat! haha.

The anchor on CNN seemed confused by this, and was asking the CNN Pentagon correspondent, "It seems strange that he would not want to go back with the other pirates. Do we have any idea why he didn't want back?"

At this point I was LMAO and screaming at the TV, "Maybe because he wanted to live??"

The Pentagon correspondent was like, "Well maybe he looked at the overall situation and decided he'd be better off in US custody than on that lifeboat."

HAHAHA.

slacker921
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
whew.. now we can get back to dumping radioactive garbage off their coast (http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-you-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates-1225817.html).

Matt Collins
04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Three simultaneous headshots in the midst of two boats bobbing with the waves. Impressive.Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I know they weren't very far away, but still when EVERYTHING is moving including you, the target, and any points of reference it makes for a very hard shot.

Matt Collins
04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I still don't understand why the ship crew wasn't able to repel the pirates?

axiomata
04-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I still don't understand why the ship crew wasn't able to repel the pirates?
The unarmed crew successfully repelled the AK-47 armed pirates, but the pirates were able to take the captain as a hostage.

http://features.csmonitor.com/globalnews/2009/04/08/to-stop-pirates-do-ships-need-firepower/

Matt Collins
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
The unarmed crew successfully repelled the AK-47 armed pirates, but the pirates were able to take the captain as a hostage.
I don't understand that. And why would a crew be unarmed?! :confused: When one is on the hgih seas and going into foreign ports it is IMPRUDENT to be unarmed! :mad:

Zolah
04-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't understand that. And why would a crew be unarmed?! :confused: When one is on the hgih seas and going into foreign ports it is IMPRUDENT to be unarmed! :mad:

I think they're not allowed to be armed, though it seems pretty obvious, to me at least, that American crews would be safer if they were armed themselves.

JamesButabi
04-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Get ready for blowback

Zolah
04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Get ready for blowback

Blowback...

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate from the Somali pirate town of Eyl, told the Associated Press: "From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages).

"(U.S. forces have) become our No 1 enemy."

Abdullahi Lami, one of the pirates holding a Greek ship, said that pirates would not be cowed by the US action.

"Every country will be treated the way it treats us," he said. "In the future, America will be the one mourning and crying. We will retaliate for the killings of our men."

"A US congressman came under mortar fire on Monday as he was leaving in a plane from Mogadishu airport, Somalia. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/somalia/5149000/US-congressman-comes-under-mortar-fire-as-he-leaves-Somalia.html

Somali piracy is itself blowback of the actions of companies dumping waste off their coast, it is now of course the recession-proof, booming business on the east and west coasts of Africa, but this won't be resolved with politicians only interested in addressing the symptons of the problem.

He Who Pawns
04-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Who cares about their stupid threats. The real question is, what "laws" are preventing these ships from having a couple of machine guns onboard?

That's the solution to this problem.

JamesButabi
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
yep.....they will be labeled terrorists, im sure we will move in to occupy a naval force in the region....etc etc.

Zolah
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Who cares about their stupid threats. The real question is, what "laws" are preventing these ships from having a couple of machine guns onboard?

That's a solution to a sympton of the problem (piracy), it doesn't address the problems at all.

LibertyEagle
04-13-2009, 02:49 PM

But that still doesn't excuse western governments dumping their waste in a third world country. Justice is long overdue for Somalia. But this was a small slice of justice for innocent ship men, so good on Philips and the US Navy..

Is Somalia being paid for allowing this? If they are, how is this not merely a transaction?

Somali piracy is itself blowback of the actions of companies dumping waste off their coast, it is now of course the recession-proof, booming business on the east and west coasts of Africa, but this won't be resolved with politicians only interested in addressing the symptons of the problem.

Is it really? To me, it looks like a bunch of thieves who thought they found their own personal get rich quick scheme. And it's been working quite well for them too. It's time for that to be over.

What am I missing?

NerveShocker
04-13-2009, 03:16 PM

+1 I wish even one of the media outlets would mention the fact we have been dumping nuclear waste on their shores since the 90s along with the French and British. I'm glad they saved the captain, but as usual ashamed of the coverage of this event by the MSM. Even on these forums it seems most aren't aware of how this all started.. it only takes a little research.

He Who Pawns
04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
That's a solution to a sympton of the problem (piracy), it doesn't address the problems at all.

well the somalians will have to learn to govern themselves and create some wealth through hard work and industry. it's not up to us to give them jobs.

again, if foreign fishermen are in somali waters, it's fine with me if somalis repel them. any nation would.

dannno
04-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Is Somalia being paid for allowing this? If they are, how is this not merely a transaction?

Who would there be to get paid?? They don't have a govt. And you can't pay a government to dump nuclear waste on land that kills innocent people. That is not a free market transaction.

What am I missing?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=188327&highlight=pirates

Zolah
04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
well the somalians will have to learn to govern themselves and create some wealth through hard work and industry. it's not up to us to give them jobs.

again, if foreign fishermen are in somali waters, it's fine with me if somalis repel them. any nation would.

That's what they do have to do, from my understanding they would be relying on their fishing industry to accommodate themselves, and the problems they've ran into with foreign companies over-fishing in Somali seas and polluting have already been stated. Understanding this is to understand why it began, now of course we're probably nearly 2 decades on and it's a booming business as I said - why bother with back-breaking labour for 14 hours a day when there's no one to pay you anyway, when you can make a quick buck on the high seas - spare the cost of a few AKs and RPGs, they're saying that each pirate receives upwards of $70,000 per heist.

And the problem is on the west coast as well as the east coast of Africa, and the west coast of Africa (around the gold coast) has exploded in recent years as a new drug route for South America~Europe as well as having a piracy problem, a couple of those west-coast countries are said to be Narcotic States (http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-03-10-fears-for-stability-in-west-africa-as-cartels-move) the main target of which was Guinea-Bissau as I understood the situation - why, because there's almost nothing standing in their way in Africa basically.

But these problems won't just go away by throwing a few dozen warships at them, like I've said before, that only deals with a sympton of the problem.

donnay
04-13-2009, 06:14 PM

The IMO are following guidelines from the UN (UN agenda to disarm us all!) and ship owners would have to pay an exorbitant insurance rate for arming their ships. Bottom line they do not care about the mariners. :mad: