PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Cato's Fred Lovefest.

Harald
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
It is the second Fred Love article in recent weeks.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=8701

FREDeralism!
by Chris Edwards

Chris Edwards is director of tax policy studies and author of "Federal Aid to the States."

The candidates, however, have overlooked a central idea that animated Reagan's view of government. That was federalism, the constitutional principle that the federal government's responsibilities are "few and defined" as James Madison put it.

Reagan believed that the federal government had grown too big and swallowed up too many activities that, in the words of the 10th Amendment, should be left to the states and the people.
What about presidential candidate Ron Paul? Paul is certainly a strong believer in the 10th Amendment, but he has been mainly occupied by the war in Iraq and hasn't focused his campaign on cutting domestic spending.

That's why I'm pleased that Fred Thompson has thrown his hat into the ring. Thompson has been talking and writing about his belief in federalism. In a recent speech, he argued that "centralized government is not the solution to all our problems...this was among the great insights of 1787, and it is just as vital in 2007."

Thompson rightly argues that the abandonment of federalism has caused a range of pathologies including a lack of government accountability, the squelching of policy diversity between the states, and the overburdening of federal policymakers with local matters when they should be focusing on national security issues.

Federalism "is a tool to promote freedom" as Thompson puts it. So for the supposed heirs to Ronald Reagan who are running for president, let's hear more about expanding our freedom by cutting the federal government down to constitutional size.

disinter
09-18-2007, 12:40 PM
"What about presidential candidate Ron Paul? Paul is certainly a strong believer in the 10th Amendment, but he has been mainly occupied by the war in Iraq and hasn't focused his campaign on cutting domestic spending."

What a bunch of bullshit!!

nullvalu
What a shitty article. I can't believe the CATO Institute would fall for Thompson's rhetoric..... Could they??

FSP-Rebel
Cato is Whack! They are not Libertarian. They're a 'libertarian' drag club for neocons.

disinter
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
CATO used to be friendly.... I guess they are just another whore organization.

nullvalu
09-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I say its time for an email campaign to these sellout bastards.. If they don't hear from us, they'll think its ok to continue republishing this bullshit.

http://www.cato.org/people/staff.html#contactus

disinter
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Contact the author:

cedwards@cato.org

http://www.cato.org/people/edwards.html

disinter
09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
"The Cato Institute seeks to broaden the parameters of public policy debate to allow consideration of the traditional American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace. Toward that goal, the Institute strives to achieve greater involvement of the intelligent, concerned lay public in questions of policy and the proper role of government."

http://www.cato.org/about/about.html

WHATEVER!!!

Dustancostine
09-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Yea I can't wait for all that peace thay Fred is going to bring.

katao
09-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I have lost a lot of respect for CATO recently. A Thompson presidency will be a rerun of both Bush's presidencies - which is the antithesis of their stated mission:
"Individual Liberty, Limited Government, Free Markets and Peace". They have lost one donors support completely.

Please contact them and politely tell them the same thing:

Gayllis Ward, Director of Planned Giving
The Cato Institute
1000 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
(646) 717-2080
E-mail: gward@cato.org

Paulitician
09-18-2007, 12:52 PM
What about presidential candidate Ron Paul? Paul is certainly a strong believer in the 10th Amendment, but he has been mainly occupied by the war in Iraq
Bullshit. It's the media who've been mainly occupied with Ron Paul's position on the war. Ron Paul stresses a departure from our current foreign policy, that is one main issue, but he also speaks of many other issues. He understands how these issues are multi-faceted, unlike most of the other candidates. You propagandists never give him a chance to speak about the other issues, yet he is more than willing to do so.

and hasn't focused his campaign on cutting domestic spending.
Yes he has. F*ck off!

Frederalism blows.

theseus51
09-18-2007, 12:54 PM
What the hell. I used to love the Cato Institute, even bought a t-shirt from them once. =p But seriously, they have always been about principle over politics. It's just stupid they would support Fred.

nullvalu
09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
My message to about 4 people inside CATO, including the author:

Wow.. I just got through reading the article "FREDeralism!" that was posted today. I honestly can't believe anyone within the CATO Institute could fall for the rhetoric of a CFR member, let alone that of Fred Thompson!

In the article: Paul is certainly a strong believer in the 10th Amendment, but he has been mainly occupied by the war in Iraq and hasn't focused his campaign on cutting domestic spending.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Paul has been the only one in this presidential run calling for true cutting of domestic spending, through libertarian ideals like getting rid of the a slew of useless federal programs and organizations.. Do you guys, and/or the author of that article truly believe Fred Thompson will represent us in any manner once he takes office?? He's perpetuating this war.. For hell's sake, what has been a larger expense to our country than that?? He is a Neocon! Surely, CATO and it's editors can see that!

drednot
09-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Cato never endorses candidates, they only endorse specific actions and policies.

I'm going to speculate that while they secretly agree with Ron Paul, they want to emphasize the mainstream nature of libertarian ideas, rather than backing a single horse that's under 5% in scientific polls.

nullvalu
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
but it makes them look like they're falling for rhetoric.. what if some moron read that and now becomes a thompson supporter because of his willingness to cut domestic spending? please

katao
09-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Here is my letter to them:

I am writing to let you know how disappointed I am in CATO for publishing the Daily Commentary column, “FREDeralism”.

A Fred Thompson presidency will be a rerun of both Bush's presidencies - which is the antithesis of your stated mission, "Individual Liberty, Limited Government, Free Markets and Peace". Soft support for state’s rights on a few issues does not equate support for any of the other platforms of the Institute. Is CATO so shallow to believe his pandering rhetoric?

As evidence, I refer you to his actual voting record in the Senate. Of the 50 appropriations bills Thompson voted on between 1995 and 2002, he voted FOR all but 2 of them (including agricultural subsidies, the National Endowment for the Arts, Discretionary education spending, and on and on). He voted FOR the No Child Left Behind Act, and the McCain-Feingold act. He voted for tens of billions of foreign aid and doubling the President’s salary.

Even worse is his absolute support for Bush’s War on Terror. There is no greater threat to our Individual Liberty, Limited Government and Peace.

I am so deeply disturbed that I am forced to look elsewhere for my future donations to the cause of Liberty. It is a shame, because CATO should be so much better than that. From the discussions I have had recently with other colleagues, I know I am not alone in this feeling.

Regards,

AlexAmore
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Rupert Murdoch is on the board of directors of CATO.

tsopranos
09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Rupert Murdoch is on the board of directors of CATO.

Ummm, no.

http://www.cato.org/people/directors.html

Board of Directors

K. Tucker Andersen, Senior Consultant, Cumberland Associates LLC
Frank Bond, Chairman, The Foundation Group
Edward H. Crane, President, Cato Institute
Richard J. Dennis, President, Dennis Trading Group
Ethelmae C. Humphreys, Chairman, Tamko Roofing Products, Inc.
David H. Koch, Executive Vice President, Koch Industries, Inc.
John C. Malone, Chairman, Liberty Media Corporation
Robert A. Levy, Senior Fellow in Constitutional Studies, Cato Institute
William A. Niskanen, Chairman, Cato Institute
David H. Padden, President, Padden & Company
Lewis E. Randall, Board Member, E*Trade Financial
Howard S. Rich, Chairman, Americans for Limited Government
Donald G. Smith, President, Donald Smith & Co., Inc.
Frederick W. Smith, Chairman & CEO, FedEx Corporation
Jeffrey S. Yass, Managing Director, Susquehanna International Group, LLP
Fred Young, Former Owner, Young Radiator Company

AlexAmore
09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Ummm, no.

http://www.cato.org/people/directors.html

Board of Directors

K. Tucker Andersen, Senior Consultant, Cumberland Associates LLC
Frank Bond, Chairman, The Foundation Group
Edward H. Crane, President, Cato Institute
Richard J. Dennis, President, Dennis Trading Group
Ethelmae C. Humphreys, Chairman, Tamko Roofing Products, Inc.
David H. Koch, Executive Vice President, Koch Industries, Inc.
John C. Malone, Chairman, Liberty Media Corporation
Robert A. Levy, Senior Fellow in Constitutional Studies, Cato Institute
William A. Niskanen, Chairman, Cato Institute
David H. Padden, President, Padden & Company
Lewis E. Randall, Board Member, E*Trade Financial
Howard S. Rich, Chairman, Americans for Limited Government
Donald G. Smith, President, Donald Smith & Co., Inc.
Frederick W. Smith, Chairman & CEO, FedEx Corporation
Jeffrey S. Yass, Managing Director, Susquehanna International Group, LLP
Fred Young, Former Owner, Young Radiator Company

Ummm, I guess he left or something.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/cpr-19n6-10.html

SWATH
09-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes Fred is a federalist...a Hamiltonian federalist. The opposite of it's intended meaning.

Hook
09-18-2007, 05:34 PM
WTF!
I guess I won't be giving them any more donations.

Korey Kaczynski
09-18-2007, 06:09 PM
"What about presidential candidate Ron Paul? Paul is certainly a strong believer in the 10th Amendment, but he has been mainly occupied by the war in Iraq and hasn't focused his campaign on cutting domestic spending."

What a bunch of bullshit!!

LOL