PDA

View Full Version : Can C4L run issue ads in support of HR 1207

Bruehound
04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Does the tax status allow the C4L to run cable tv ads in support of HR 1207? Does anyone know?

angelatc
04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Does the tax status allow the C4L to run cable tv ads in support of HR 1207? Does anyone know?

That's been one of me pet peeves with C4L. They're a 501(c)4 which means they can be involved in politics as long as that isn't their main reason to exist. (The NRA is also a (c)4, as an example.)

However, they continually announce that they can't do these type things because they're a 501(c)4.

SO, apparently even if they can, they won't.

Bruehound
04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
What a waste of the most fantastic fundraising list the freedom movement has ever known. What a shame if that is so.

angelatc
04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
What a waste of the most fantastic fundraising list the freedom movement has ever known. What a shame if that is so.

Oh my gosh - you're absolutely right, and it is exactly how MoveOn got started. They were formed as bipartisian opposition to Clinton's impeachment.

A single issue, with a request for money.

LibertyEagle
04-10-2009, 05:53 PM
That's been one of me pet peeves with C4L. They're a 501(c)4 which means they can be involved in politics as long as that isn't their main reason to exist. (The NRA is also a (c)4, as an example.)

However, they continually announce that they can't do these type things because they're a 501(c)4.

SO, apparently even if they can, they won't.

Doesn't the NRA have a sister organization that allows them to do that? :confused:

angelatc
04-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Doesn't the NRA have a sister organization that allows them to do that? :confused:

No, they have a sister organization that allows them to lobby.

I know this stuff inside and out.

LibertyEagle
04-10-2009, 05:56 PM

Oh, ok. Thanks.

KCIndy
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Are you talking about the NRA-ILA? (NRA's "Institute for Legislative Action")

C4L definitely needs to get something similar going.... As Bruehound notes, this is an organization with incredible reach, and I thought the entire idea of C4L was to promote "Freedom-minded" ideas ala Ron Paul's views.

Rather than wasting (our!) money paying outside organizations to run slipshod phone banks, C4L needs to start looking at the idea of being able to legally endorse and support Ron Paul style politicians.

angelatc
04-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Are you talking about the NRA-ILA? (NRA's "Institute for Legislative Action")

C4L definitely needs to get something similar going.... As Bruehound notes, this is an organization with incredible reach, and I thought the entire idea of C4L was to promote "Freedom-minded" ideas ala Ron Paul's views.

Rather than wasting (our!) money paying outside organizations to run slipshod phone banks, C4L needs to start looking at the idea of being able to legally endorse and support Ron Paul style politicians.

I had to look it up, but yes - that's the lobbying arm.

The C4L can, technically, endorse politicians (even though they have indicated that they don't want to pursue that avenue. ) They can't support them though, and they can't exist solely for political purposes. Essentially all they can do is send a message out that they endorse so and so for the office of such and such.

I am like you - I sort of wish they had just gone the PAC route.

scandinaviany3
04-11-2009, 07:50 AM

i think they have a ssf fund ...so if they do then yes they can..if not...then i think only internal communication amongst members on issues is the allowed.