PDA

View Full Version : Big brother alert: Calif. considers ban on big screen TVs

emazur
04-10-2009, 01:36 PM
http://american.com/archive/2009/april-2009/who-should-decide-the-size-of-your-tv
http://digg.com/politics/Big_brother_alert_Calif_considers_ban_on_big_scree n_TVs#
The most recent example comes from (where else?) California, which is considering a proposal to ban big-screen TVs. The unelected bureaucrats who comprise the state’s energy commission are working up new efficiency regulations aimed at big-screen televisions, which are condemned as energy hogs.

Big-screen televisions require more energy than smaller ones, and really big plasma TVs can suck more power than your refrigerator. That’s hardly surprising, but it upsets regulators all the same. The California proposal—which could be adopted this summer—would forbid retailers from selling TVs that require what state officials think is too much power. Proponents claim they are mandating energy efficiency, and who could object to that? The practical effect, however, would be to remove TVs with screens 40 inches or bigger from the market.

Last year, the California Energy Commission floated a proposal giving it authority to remotely regulate or even shut down homes’ thermostats via radio-controlled devices at the government’s discretion. It did not get far, but did reveal a bureaucratic desire to dictate appropriate levels of consumption rather than leave consumers to decide what they want and will pay for. The move to ban big-screen TVs is just another version of this bureaucratic power grab to control how other people power their lives.

RonPaulCentral
04-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow... so drive the next State over and buy one... and give the tax money to a State that doesn't have their heads up their ass.

acptulsa
04-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Bwahahahahahahaha! No big screen tvs in the state that contains Hollywood? Woo hoo! I can just see the smuggling ring to sneak them in from Nevada and Arizona! Can't you just see the new big box electronic stores in the Mojave?

Sure, California--cost yourself some more sales tax revenue! Knock yourselves out!

MyLibertyStuff
04-10-2009, 01:46 PM
:( when is the revolution?

Freedom 4 all
04-10-2009, 01:48 PM
If I was the owner of an electronics store on the Nevada side of the border I would totally be jizzing my pants right now. I'd hold a "California refugee" sale where I'd throw in a tank of gas with the purchase of a big screen TV. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with California nowadays, pretty soon it will make Canada look libertarian.

acptulsa
04-10-2009, 01:50 PM
If I was the owner of an electronics store on the Nevada side of the border I would totally be jizzing my pants right now. I'd hold a "California refugee" sale where I'd throw in a tank of gas with the purchase of a big screen TV. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with California nowadays, pretty soon it will make Canada look libertarian.

Look like gubernatorial material to you?

http://vineetnov.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/terminator-4.jpg

H Roark
04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I work as a commissioned salesman at an independent home theater chain in CA. So I did some research at the California Energy Commission website and found this FAQ. There are a couple of things that are incorrect with the OPs article...

What exactly is being proposed for new televisions?

The California Energy Commission is proposing energy efficiency standards for new televisions offered for sale in California beginning in 2011 and 2013.

Is California considering banning plasma, large screen, or HD televisions?

No, the state is not banning any type of TV. Consumers have the freedom to choose any type and size of television that meets the efficiency standard.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/appliances/tv_faqs.html

I'm all for the industry's voluntary Energy Star compliance program, but I disagree with any of this regulation. The majority of all TVs I sell are at least 40" and above. Yes its true that plasmas waste about 25% more energy than LCDs, but you would be hard pressed to find a 40" or smaller plasma; therefore the proposal the article make would essentially ban all plasmas. The stakeholders involved will cause way too much noise for the regulators. People love their idiot boxes (TVs).

Who is supporting these proposals?

The second largest manufacturer of flat screen TVs in the nation, Vizio; television component manufacturers 3M and Agoura Technologies; the LCD Television Association; the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), and all three major California electric utility companies (Pacific Gas and Electric, San Diego Gas & Electric, and Southern California Edison) endorse the proposed regulations.

Well well, look who endorses these regulations. No surprise. The LCD Television Association which of course would like to see Plasmas wiped out. And look, Vizio; maker of the crappiest TVs on earth that probably don't utilize that much energy to begin with.

TastyWheat
04-10-2009, 03:09 PM
California, secede for God's sake! It's win-win for everybody!

Harris4LarouchePAC
04-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Arnold is the problem of Cali. His father was an Austrian Nazi and Arnold has an admitted admiration of Hitler himself calling him his "childhood hero."

For Real? And this guy wants to be President?