PDA

View Full Version : Texas Governor FTW!

thasre
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Why haven't we done more for Debra Medina in her run for TX governor? She's a Ron Paul supporter (heck, she even spoke at his End the Fed rally), and she's actually interested in running for the office.

http://www.runmedina.com/

I know I've seen stuff on this site before talking about her, but I feel like we get all caught up in races we don't even really have a candidate for, and then in this race, we just ignore it. I want Schiff and Kokesh and Rand Paul to succeed as much as the next guy, but one has expressed no personal interest, one is a bit out there, and one is waiting for a self-serving incumbent to step down. I think it would make more sense to be following / promoting Medina's run for TX governor.

Any thoughts?

MsDoodahs
04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
There are Medina supporters here.

Like me.

:)

DXDoug
04-09-2009, 11:16 PM
dito just havent busted out yet...

Kotin
04-09-2009, 11:43 PM
has everyone donated yet??

I already put up 200.. hope she is rasing a good amount..

Anwar_S
04-10-2009, 01:52 AM
She needs one of those donation meter's like the old RP presidential website had.

Dripping Rain
04-10-2009, 02:18 AM
i dont personally know medina but i watched her texas convention speech. that woman got cajones
ps will perry run again? does tx have term limits?

lynnf
04-10-2009, 04:07 AM
i dont personally know medina but i watched her texas convention speech. that woman got cajones
ps will perry run again? does tx have term limits?

yes, Texas has term limits - 2 elected terms. but Perry's first "term" wasn't elected, he took over Bush's remaining term when Bush became President, which gave Perry the opportunity for 2 subsequent elected terms.

lynn

Chase
04-10-2009, 04:33 AM
This thread delivers very well... I'd never heard of this liberty warrior but I'm an instant supporter. However, the thread is poorly titled. Needs visibility! 5 stars. :D

Petar
04-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Check out this page I made for Debra in the "Liberty Candidates" section of www.thelibertyhive.com:

http://www.thelibertyhive.com/bin/view/Liberty_Candidates/United_States_Texas_Debra_Medina_Governor_2010

I think that we should cover Texas in pages that show our support.

Bern
04-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Why haven't we done more for Debra Medina in her run for TX governor? ... Any thoughts?

Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Unless the CFL has completed it's coup of the Texas GOP, she's going to be squashed under the feet of two "giants" fighting.

I wish it were otherwise (I'll vote for Debra), but I don't see the Texas GOP supporting a relative unknown when one of it's most popular high ranking members is going to be running.

thasre
04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Unless the CFL has completed it's coup of the Texas GOP, she's going to be squashed under the feet of two "giants" fighting.

I wish it were otherwise (I'll vote for Debra), but I don't see the Texas GOP supporting a relative unknown when one of it's most popular high ranking members is going to be running.

I kind of dislike the idea of just writing her off, though. If nothing else, she can play a similar 'speaking truth to power' kind of role that Ron Paul played in the Presidential primary. I still think we should be doing at least as much to promote her as we do for Peter Schiff or Rand Paul.

thasre
04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
This thread delivers very well... I'd never heard of this liberty warrior but I'm an instant supporter. However, the thread is poorly titled. Needs visibility! 5 stars. :D

Yeah, sorry, I totally suck at naming threads, which is part of the reason I rarely make them.

Aratus
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
a mid-day bump!

Kotin
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
blimp.

Indy4Chng
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't live in Texas, but who I would like to see run for governor would be RON PAUL. I think he could accomplish much more in Texas as governor rather than one decenting vote out of 450+ as a house rep. He would be able to hold the fed accountable for not obeying the 10th amendment. Plus he would have a much greater chance of winning then as POTUS (which now is just an MTV popularity contest).

MsDoodahs
04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Never EVER say "kay BAILEY hutchinson."

Her name forever is kay BAILOUT hutchinson.

:D

MsDoodahs
04-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, sorry, I totally suck at naming threads, which is part of the reason I rarely make them.

I like the title, myself.

:)

Imperial
04-10-2009, 12:34 PM
The other problem people don't talk about is Kinky Friedman pulling liberty votes on the Democratic line in the primaries.

Brown Sapper
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Another good office is KBH old spot as senator. It'll be a great time to sneak a liberty candidate in there. So far the only person I know running for that spot is Mayor Bill White of Houston :(.

Kotin
04-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Another good office is KBH old spot as senator. It'll be a great time to sneak a liberty candidate in there. So far the only person I know running for that spot is Mayor Bill White of Houston :(.

Ron Paul should go for it..

Imperial
04-10-2009, 01:38 PM
I heard a pretty good conservative is running for the spot too. The Texas railroad commissioner or something? I think it was some chap by the name of Williams if I remember right.

Bryan
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm a big, big, huge fan of Debra here- of course. :)

I heard a pretty good conservative is running for the spot too. The Texas railroad commissioner or something? I think it was some chap by the name of Williams if I remember right.
That would be Michael Williams, but he is running for US Senate. From what I do know of him, I like him-- he is personable, his speech at the Republican Party of Texas State Convention was very good- you can watch it here:

http://www.williamsfortexas.com/multimedia

BTW- Good thread title :)

james1906
04-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Is Kilgore still going to run? We shouldn't fracture our bloc.

Kotin
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Is Kilgore still going to run? We shouldn't fracture our bloc.

I think come March 5th it will be clear who to support..

Imperial
04-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Kilgore said he will make sure to not split the base already.

So I would expect Kilgore to endorse Medina if she actually runs.

Bern
04-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I kind of dislike the idea of just writing her off, though.

Just trying to be realistic. Check this:
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison would defeat Rick Perry in a landslide if the 2010 Republican primary for Governor in Texas were held today, the newest survey from Public Policy Polling finds. Hutchison leads Perry 56-31.

Hutchison is viewed favorably by 76% of GOP primary voters, with only 15% having a negative opinion of her. Perry gets good marks from 60% and gets an unfavorable impression from 27%.

That 27% of likely Republican voters who have a dim view of Perry is obviously part of his problem. Those voters support Hutchison 85-8. But they’re not necessarily the biggest thing that could keep him from nomination for another term. That’s because 47% of those surveyed have a positive opinion of both Hutchison and Perry, but within that group the Senator leads 49-33. When you have higher negatives than your opponent and lose out among your mutual admirers, that’s a recipe for defeat.

Hutchison leads Perry within every demographic group by race, gender, and age.
“Rick Perry is in grave danger of losing in the primary,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “It’s partly because he’s worn out his welcome with a certain segment of the Republican electorate, but the even bigger reason is that Kay Bailey Hutchison is just a lot more popular than him. It would be hard for anyone to beat her in an election.”
PPP polled of 797 likely Republican primary voters from February 18th to 20th. The
survey’s margin of error is +/-3.5%. Other factors, such as refusal to be interviewed and weighting, may introduce additional error that is more difficult to quantify.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_Texas_224.pdf

Check out the response to Q3:
Q3 If the Republican candidates for Governor were Kay Bailey Hutchison and Rick Perry, who would you vote for? If Kay Bailey Hutchison, press 1. If Rick Perry, press 2. If you’re undecided, press 3.
Kay Bailey Hutchison...................................... 56%
Rick Perry .................................................. ..... 31%
Undecided......................................... .............. 13%

I'm still a bit pissed at KBH for voting for the bailouts, FISA, Patriot Acts, Military Commissions Act and against Habeas Corpus protections, but apparently these issues are not terribly important to the folks who vote in GOP primaries.

Bryan
04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I just saw this tonight:
http://www.kaybailout.com :)

I'd also have to say, Kay's speech at the Republican Party of Texas State Convention left me wondering such as her praise for Bush being fiscally conservative. Huh?

TRosen75
04-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I just saw this tonight:

I'd also have to say, Kay's speech at the Republican Party of Texas State Convention left me wondering such as her praise for Bush being fiscally conservative. Huh?

In her speech, Kay encouraged casting aside any and all principle to vote simply for the straight Republican ticket. Her endorsement of action like this and promotion party above principle is truly disgusting.

I believe that this race is a huge opportunity for us if we are willing to step up and support Debra. Working against the odds has never stopped us before - there is no reason why it should now. The race won't be easy, but believe me, it will be worth it.

I highly encourage everyone, whether you live in Texas or not, to look into what Debra stands for and consider showing her your support. The grassroots are already hard at work all around Texas, and exciting things are coming. She truly is in the best position we could hope for at this in time to promote the cause of liberty.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out this video. Special thanks to Bryan and Helena B. for putting it together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0w10jVTjB4&feature=channel_page. Also, http://www.RunMedina.com/.

Bern
04-12-2009, 05:49 AM
I just saw this tonight:

I believe that the "Kay Bailout" tag is part of Perry's negative campaigning strategy. I would not be surprised if the website was created by one of his campaign supporters.

Who knows. If Kay and Rick manage to throw enough mud on one another and Debra times her entrance right, she might come out looking good by comparison. She's going to need an incredibly well financed campaign to get any appreciable media coverage and reach GOP primary voters though.

Dustancostine
04-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Just trying to be realistic. Check this:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_Texas_224.pdf

Check out the response to Q3:

I'm still a bit pissed at KBH for voting for the bailouts, FISA, Patriot Acts, Military Commissions Act and against Habeas Corpus protections, but apparently these issues are not terribly important to the folks who vote in GOP primaries.

Recent polls give Hutchison the early advantage. Most recently, a University of Texas survey of Republican primary voters found Hutchison was the favorite of 36 percent, compared with 30 percent for Perry.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/politics/ci_12024687

It is funny how they say it is a close race between Perry and Hutchinson, when one has 36% and the other has 30%, I guess the other 34% of Republicans don't count.

People are very upset with both candidates out there. If we can pick up that 34% and add RP's 5% along with some newbies, we can win this thing.

--Dustan

Bern
04-12-2009, 09:40 AM
... Most recently, a University of Texas survey of Republican primary voters found Hutchison was the favorite of 36 percent, compared with 30 percent for Perry. ...

I found the source for that:
Among respondents who said they intended to vote in the Republican primary in 2010, probable candidate US Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison led Governor Rick Perry 36%-30%, with 11% saying they would support someone else and a substantial 24% undecided. The margin of error on this sub-sample of declared Republican primary voters was 5.7 percent.

http://texaspolitics.laits.utexas.edu/11_1_0.html

Thanks for the reference. The UT poll took place just a week or two after the Public Policy Polling one. Assuming (yeah, I know) that there is some correlation between the polling bases for both polls, it would seem to indicate that some of the shine is waning on KBH's star.

thasre
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I remember when it was a foregone conclusion that either Hillary Clinton or Rudy Giuliani would be the next president of the US. I don't think the fact that KBH looks like a shoe-in now should mean that we just let it happen. Saying, "We shouldn't support another candidate because KBH is going to win" is a self-fulfilling prophecy if I ever saw one!