PDA

View Full Version : Podcast Growing

garywatson
05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Thought you might like to know that my podcast stats had a big spike after the debates last night, from about 50 unique listeners to about 100. As podcasts go, that's a trivial number of subscribers, but the show is only a week old. Growth has been almost geometric. I'm going to buy some advertising to try to pimp the show a little bit.

In case you don't know, the podcast is at RonPaulPodcast.com (http://ronpaulpodcast.com) and the rss feed is at RonPaulPodcast.com/rss (http://ronpaulpodcast.com/rss).

Ron Paul also has a weekly phone-in audio message, which I have started ripping to mp3 using Skype, and I've posted these into a separate podcast at RonPaul.Libsyn.com (http://ronpaul.libsyn.com).

As always, suggestions and feedback welcome. Also, if you are interested in joining me over Skype for a discussion about Ron Paul for the podcast, contact me at rp [at] garywatson [dot] com with contact info and the best time to Skype.

aravoth
05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
My Youtube videos also got a massive spike last night and it's still going on.

garywatson
05-16-2007, 12:09 PM
My Youtube videos also got a massive spike last night and it's still going on.

It's funny how Ron Paul really hit a nerve -- if you go to right wing blogs like Little Green Footballs, the level of venom for Ron Paul is really extraordinary. We need to really think about the best way for him to explain his anti-war views to the Republican base, or it will be tough to win the primaries.

Since I've read his writings, he's not a million miles away from the typical Republican's views but it's just difficult to encapsulate his war views in little 60 second bites. First, the interventionist policies which led to 9/11 were mostly done during Clinton's 8 years in office -- his actions weren't strong enough to kill the enemy or act as a deterrent, but were annoying enough for Islamic opinion shapers to use to whip up anti-American sentiment. Sending cruise missiles into an empty desert training base or a baby milk factory, for instance.

Second, the fact that our actions in the Middle East to whip up hatred of us does not necessarily imply that we either deserved the attack of 9/11 or that it was justified or that "we got what's coming to us". It was very disingenuous of Rudy Giuliani to deliberately muddle up this crucial distinction, and our man didn't take the opportunity to set him straight.

I think sometimes that Ron Paul acts too much as a scientist on these matters, dispassionately looking at the geopolitical chess game and reporting matter of factly what the factors were in one or another terrorist slaughter. Just becasue you can explain what motivated a nutcase to do something evil, doesn't mean that the nutcase was justified.

So my question to the Forum is: how can Ron Paul succinctly present his anti-interventionist message while making it clear that as President he won't be neutral when people come and kill Americans?

cujothekitten
05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't see the users of LGF or the Freepers as a serious part of the republican base. Half of them are completely insane in my view. They're like the Democratic Underground of politics.

Gee
05-16-2007, 12:26 PM
We need to really think about the best way for him to explain his anti-war views to the Republican base, or it will be tough to win the primaries.
How about "Americans first"? Kill the terrorists who threatened out security, and come home. Don't put Israel's interests above ours, nor the rulers of Saudi Arabia. Act to defend the US against tangible threats, not vague rhetoric. Remind them that the war in Iraq seems to have taken the focus off actually finding Osama, and ask them how Rudy can be tough on terror if he supports the war in Iraq.

There is no way most Americans would support Israel if our support of it was a tangible security risk to us. And we all know that it is.

Brandybuck
05-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't see the users of LGF or the Freepers as a serious part of the republican base. Half of them are completely insane in my view. They're like the Democratic Underground of politics.
Absolutely! Nutters to the left and nutters to the right. Why form a coherent political opinion when you can just post something sarcastic?

We need a libertarian/constitionalist/classic-liberal news-blog site like DK, DU and LGF. But without the snark and snide.