PDA

View Full Version : 144th Anniversary of Robert E. Lee Surrendering (Today, April 9th)

Knightskye
04-08-2009, 09:59 PM
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/today.html

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
One of the saddest days in American history.

FreeMama
04-08-2009, 11:50 PM
My Dad told me I am related to him . . . I am still trying to figure out how. He is very interesting to learn about.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
The problem with the confederacy is they fought too conventional. They should have waged a guerrilla war kinda like the Colonial army did in the American Revolutionary war. The union army was too large, the north's population too much larger to fight fairly and win.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I would agree with that to some extent. When you look at the success of Mosby, McNeil and to some extent, Quantrill it is hard to argue against their use. Many of the citizens found the guerilla tactics to be repugnant though and they found it to be an uncivillized way to wage war so I am not sure it ever stood a chance of catching on to a massive degree.

HOLLYWOOD
04-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Yes indeed... and when the CSA fought in unconventional ways and guerrilla tactics, they were extremely successful.

Lee was just too programmed by West Point and Chivalry.

Stone Wall Jackson was as unconventional as any and look at his successes, even though being out numbered in many conflicts substantially.

The problem with the confederacy is they fought too conventional. They should have waged a guerrilla war kinda like the Colonial army did in the American Revolutionary war. The union army was too large, the north's population too much larger to fight fairly and win.

Lucille
04-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I read Stillness at Appomattox (in my Civil War and Reconstruction class) and I cried at the end.

Great book - it read like a novel. Bruce Catton was an amazing writer.

Mandrik
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM
One of the saddest days in American history.

This

Imperial
04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't side with the CSA or USA...however, I empathize with certain individuals on both sides. Robert E. Lee is one of them.

nate895
04-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I would agree with that to some extent. When you look at the success of Mosby, McNeil and to some extent, Quantrill it is hard to argue against their use. Many of the citizens found the guerilla tactics to be repugnant though and they found it to be an uncivillized way to wage war so I am not sure it ever stood a chance of catching on to a massive degree.

Jesse James is a great-great-.....-uncle of mine, I love Quantrill!!!

Edit: This is a very sad day. As far as strategy goes, the South had a few opportunities. The primary problem from my point-of-view was that Davis played favorites with his commanders, and kept bad commanders like Bragg when he should have cut them and put someone good in there. I could get into a whole essay about this, but it would be ridiculous.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Jesse James is a great-great-.....-uncle of mine, I love Quantrill!!!

Edit: This is a very sad day. As far as strategy goes, the South had a few opportunities. The primary problem from my point-of-view was that Davis played favorites with his commanders, and kept bad commanders like Bragg when he should have cut them and put someone good in there. I could get into a whole essay about this, but it would be ridiculous.

wow... small world... I also had an ancestor that rode with Quantrill. As far as the Commanders go, you would be correct. Davis was loyal to a fault and would stick with Commanders that really had no business being in the field. Bragg was terrible while Beauregard was brilliant and should have been put in command of that Army.

nate895
04-09-2009, 09:21 PM
wow... small world... I also had an ancestor that rode with Quantrill. As far as the Commanders go, you would be correct. Davis was loyal to a fault and would stick with Commanders that really had no business being in the field. Bragg was terrible while Beauregard was brilliant and should have been put in command of that Army.

Genealogy is an amazing thing. They have recently discovered through DNA, that you need only go back 1200 years to be related to every person with an ounce of European blood in them, and that every European is directly descended from Charlemagne. Also, 100,000,000 Americans are related in some way to a President, and people with a significant portion of their family here before independence probably are likely to be related to multiple Presidents.

FreeMama
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow that is interesting. . .

Bman
04-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Genealogy is an amazing thing. They have recently discovered through DNA, that you need only go back 1200 years to be related to every person with an ounce of European blood in them, and that every European is directly descended from Charlemagne. Also, 100,000,000 Americans are related in some way to a President, and people with a significant portion of their family here before independence probably are likely to be related to multiple Presidents.

From what I understand since I have blue eyes, I am related to everyone who has blue eyes through a common ancestor 12,000 years ago.

nate895
04-10-2009, 10:25 PM
From what I understand since I have blue eyes, I am related to everyone who has blue eyes through a common ancestor 12,000 years ago.

Probably even closer, because, from what I understand, most people who have blue eyes are European, and therefore are descended from Charlegmagne, and therefore related to all other people with blue eyes (or at least, most) a mere 1200 years ago.

Bman
04-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Probably even closer, because, from what I understand, most people who have blue eyes are European, and therefore are descended from Charlegmagne, and therefore related to all other people with blue eyes (or at least, most) a mere 1200 years ago.

It may be. The program I saw or read, cannot remember, said that blue eyes originated from one common ancestor just north of the Black or Caspian Sea. I forget which but am leaning towards the Black sea.

Heck regardless of what one believes... for the most part, we all are related to a common ancestor at somepoint or another.