PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Get a Continuance or for a Court Hearing?

gb13
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I really need to get a continuance or postpointment for my traffic hearing tomorrow. I need more time to prepare my defense.

How can I best ensure that I will receive one?

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
You have to go before a judge to ask for a continuance.
This means you will have to go to your court date and ask, formally on the record, for a continuance because you have not had proper time to prepare a defence or hire an attorney.

edit: just to add, I'm not an attorney, but I am a legal advocate for survivors of domestic abuse. I do know some law and a lot about court procedure.

acptulsa
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Pretty much the only way is to make your reason sound really good to the judge. 'I need more time to prepare my defense because _____.' 'I haven't had time to...' is one they hate because it makes it seem as though you have placed other things above the court's time and authority, which sounds like a slap in the face to a judge. New evidence that you haven't been able to develop or new witnesses that you haven't been able to serve with a subpoena are more along the right track, but don't promise something you won't deliver at trial because the judge will remember it.

Good luck!

gb13
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Cool. Thanks a lot guys. I'll try something along those lines. Hope it works.