PDA

View Full Version : Someone from the U.S. census just stopped by my house.

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
It looks like the U.S. Census is paying people good money to walk around and ask all households if they are "renting" or renting out extra rooms.

Why is this such an urgent issue that they can't wait the time it takes to print up and mail out surveys?
WTF does that one question have to do with anything?

homah
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Just curious, do these people show ID when they come to the door or do they just say they are from the census? Also, are you required by law to answer them? It seems that it should be none of their business if you are renting out a room.

Lucille
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
One came by here last week. Asked me the same thing.

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Just curious, do these people show ID when they come to the door or do they just say they are from the census? Also, are you required by law to answer them? It seems that it should be none of their business if you are renting out a room.

She showed an ID badge from the census, she had a US Census satchel bag that carried a laptop that was running this USB input device she was carrying to mark the responses quickly.
She had a US census jacket and hat on... and before asking me anything, introduced herself, showed me her badge, and handed me a piece of paper explaining to me that my answers will be kept confidential and that I am REQUIRED by LAW to provide the information requested.

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I didn't really understand her question at first... I was expecting her to hand me a survey for the census...
So at first responded to her question with : There are two people living here at the moment.
Her response was "are you renting any of your extra rooms?"
I said no. She thanked me and left.

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 10:00 AM
The referenced Law that REQUIRED me to provide the information requested is United States Code, Title 13 Sections 9, 141, 193,214, and 221. Also Title 44 Section 2108.

It didn't have the laws written on the paper, just references.

This is the website on the paper: http://www.census.gov/2010census

This is the approval number listed for this effort of data collection: OMB 0607-0809

JoshLowry
04-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Can't you just plead the fifth?

dannno
04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Well knowing that info would seem to help them with the count. I assume they asked you how many family members you have, or they already know the answer.

Kotin
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Lucille where are you?

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 10:04 AM

You would think, but the pirates running D.C. will send in a swat team if you deny them the information. They even created laws stating that you must provide the info or face punishment.

The reason I put this thread up is so others can be prepared. I was caught unprepared today.

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Well knowing that info would seem to help them with the count. I assume they asked you how many family members you have, or they already know the answer.

She asked only one question. Why would you pay someone to go around and ask one question?
Becuase the info is needed now.
It cannot wait to go out with the census packets.
They could have just added the question to the packet... but for some reason, this is 'need to know now' info.

Lucille
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Lucille where are you?

AZ

Kotin
04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I will ask around and see if they have been here.. they would not come to my house first.. its rather hard to get to.

but AZ and LA.. on both sides of Texas..

UtahApocalypse
04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
A key word could be "Renting" at time I have friends live with me for awhile, and i have done the same with them. It's no charge, just coach surfing. I never paid rent, nor have I asked them too. Share chores and stuff. So NO I have no one "Renting" any extra rooms.

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 10:27 AM
A key word could be "Renting" at time I have friends live with me for awhile, and i have done the same with them. It's no charge, just coach surfing. I never paid rent, nor have I asked them too. Share chores and stuff. So NO I have no one "Renting" any extra rooms.

I don't charge rent, people who stay, voluntarily help pay an equal share of the house note. TO me, that is not renting. I don't make any profit off of it.

Goldhunter27
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I work for the census. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Why is this particular data (on renting) being collected, and why is it so important that they'd send out people door-to-door to ask this one question?

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Also- what are these laws: United States Code, Title 13 Sections 9, 141, 193,214, and 221. Also Title 44 Section 2108, and how do they trump the supreme law of the land?

pinkmandy
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Maybe it's so they know how many census surveys to send to each address? Especially since so many people have lost their homes and might not be as easy to find? I wonder how they factor in the tent cities?

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Maybe it's so they know how many census surveys to send to each address? Especially since so many people have lost their homes and might not be as easy to find? I wonder how they factor in the tent cities?

They didn't want to know how many people were in my home. At first, I thought they did.. that is why my answer to her was 'two people live here'. Her body communication and actual response was that this info wasn't needed... what she needed to know is... 'am I renting any rooms in my house to other people'.

It was her question from the beginning, it just made no sense to me... so my original answer wasn't 'the required information they were seeking'

Goldhunter27
04-08-2009, 11:04 AM

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
//

Goldhunter27
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't need to ask... just read my signature.
DO people in the census really believe they have that authority? Or do they just hope these bogus laws will actually force people out of fear to answer their questions?

The authority to do what? Ask that question or just do the census in general?

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
The authority to do what?

To demand someone to provide any information they are seeking.

Goldhunter27
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
//

dannno
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
She asked only one question. Why would you pay someone to go around and ask one question?
Becuase the info is needed now.
It cannot wait to go out with the census packets.
They could have just added the question to the packet... but for some reason, this is 'need to know now' info.

Hmmmmm

mczerone
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM

No. The freedom of speech that is so integral to US politics doesn't include the freedom of silence. Your testimony can be compelled by the Courts (without any compensation), even if you are not a party to litigation.

The only exception to your lack of a right to silence is when you would (potentially) admit to wrongdoing. So 'pleading the fifth' is basically an admission to guilt, but you aren't going to prove it for the prosecution.

There is no consistency to the rights enumerated in the Constitution, nor are any of the rights absolute. They are just guidelines to government behavior, and they get to make up their own exceptions to their rules (even if this process is slowed down by a separation of powers).

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
No. The freedom of speech that is so integral to US politics doesn't include the freedom of silence. Your testimony can be compelled by the Courts (without any compensation), even if you are not a party to litigation.

The only exception to your lack of a right to silence is when you would (potentially) admit to wrongdoing. So 'pleading the fifth' is basically an admission to guilt, but you aren't going to prove it for the prosecution.

There is no consistency to the rights enumerated in the Constitution, nor are any of the rights absolute. They are just guidelines to government behavior, and they get to make up their own exceptions to their rules (even if this process is slowed down by a separation of powers).

You have the right to not be made a witness against yourself. (this does not mean you are guilty or that you only have this right if you are guilty of something)

mczerone
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
You have the right to not be made a witness against yourself. (this does not mean you are guilty or that you only have this right if you are guilty of something)

Right, but in reality if you don't testify or refuse to answer specific questions it is looked on as though you can't defend yourself - except in the rare case where you can prove your defense by other means.

But as I said, even if the defendant doesn't have to testify, the court can still force say a wife or child of the defendant to provide relevant testimony because they are not implicating themselves. Only a defendant has the right to be silent, and many times the exercising of this right is read as either a failure to defend (and so a default judgment is entered if the plaintiff has anything resembling evidence at all), or an admission of guilt to at least some charges or other crimes not before the court.

None of this applies to the IRS or the Census, though, where even the 'defendant' (the person from whom some form of relief is sought - taxes or personal info) is compelled to answer all questions, regardless of the legal implications - even mob bosses are expected to report their illegal income and Immigration mules are likewise expected to tell the census reporter of all the non-government condoned persons in his own home. As was said in the TSA detainment tape: "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to be afraid of."

torchbearer
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Right, but in reality if you don't testify or refuse to answer specific questions it is looked on as though you can't defend yourself - except in the rare case where you can prove your defense by other means.

But as I said, even if the defendant doesn't have to testify, the court can still force say a wife or child of the defendant to provide relevant testimony because they are not implicating themselves. Only a defendant has the right to be silent, and many times the exercising of this right is read as either a failure to defend (and so a default judgment is entered if the plaintiff has anything resembling evidence at all), or an admission of guilt to at least some charges or other crimes not before the court.

None of this applies to the IRS or the Census, though, where even the 'defendant' (the person from whom some form of relief is sought - taxes or personal info) is compelled to answer all questions, regardless of the legal implications - even mob bosses are expected to report their illegal income and Immigration mules are likewise expected to tell the census reporter of all the non-government condoned persons in his own home. As was said in the TSA detainment tape: "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to be afraid of."

It does have to do with the census. An affidavit against yourself(which is any info you give to an official government officer) is a testimony against yourself and can be used against you as a witness against yourself in a court of law.
That is the problem.

angelatc
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
It looks like the U.S. Census is paying people good money to walk around and ask all households if they are "renting" or renting out extra rooms.

Why is this such an urgent issue that they can't wait the time it takes to print up and mail out surveys?

Because Obama is paying Acorn billions of dollars to do Census work.

Uh, why are they starting the census a year early?

steph3n
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
You would think, but the pirates running D.C. will send in a swat team if you deny them the information. They even created laws stating that you must provide the info or face punishment.

The reason I put this thread up is so others can be prepared. I was caught unprepared today.
Honestly, they do nothing. I started to say more but won't :D

angelatc
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Honestly, they do nothing. I started to say more but won't :D

I did not send my card back and they came to my house. I was not home so they got the head count from my neighbor.

This year it won't matter, because ACORN will count people like they register voters.

TastyWheat
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
They visited me too. The surveyor probably thought I was stupid because I mulled over each of her questions very carefully in case there were things I didn't want to divulge.

weslinder
04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Doesn't the Census Bureau do some for-profit surveying now? I know that I got wrapped in a study a couple of years ago by the Census Bureau. It wasn't mandatory, but thinking that it would just be one time, I participated. It ended up being several 10 minute conversations over the course of a few months. They asked a lot of employment questions, and work hours.

Carole
04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
She showed an ID badge from the census, she had a US Census satchel bag that carried a laptop that was running this USB input device she was carrying to mark the responses quickly.
She had a US census jacket and hat on... and before asking me anything, introduced herself, showed me her badge, and handed me a piece of paper explaining to me that my answers will be kept confidential and that I am REQUIRED by LAW to provide the information requested.

Do not forget. Some of these people will be ACORN people due to the legislation that passed. :)

Nate
04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
They came by my house today about 3 hours ago. I told the guy to get his parasitic ass off of my property before I remove him from my property myself.

phill4paul
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
They came by my house today about 3 hours ago. I told the guy to get his parasitic ass off of my property before I remove him from my property myself.

You have been entered into the census base as a non-conformer that vehemently disagrees with the Federal Government to the point of issuing violent threats against a government employee. Your name and house address will be noted.

I wish you lived next to me.;)

pcosmar
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I was under the impression the the Census was taken every 10 years. I seem to remember that was the law. However I have received the census 2 years in a row. I filled it out the first time, and ran the bastard off the second. ;)

Bruno
04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Goldhunter, why did you remove your posts?

Standing Like A Rock
04-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Hmmm... one came to my house and showed some I.D. All she asked was if she had the address correct (which it wasn't, of course). So I corrected her and she left.

Jodi
04-08-2009, 07:38 PM

The last census I filled out was the long form, Mom told me that I was only required by law to fill out the first 3 questions. I filled out the 3 and left it at that. About 2 weeks after that a census taker showed up on my doorstep asking me to fill out the rest of the questions. I told her I filled out what was required by law and would do no more, she begged me for 30 minutes to fill out the rest. Sent her on her way without the info.

mediahasyou
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
They need to know how much many people will be leaching off of society and how many people will be forced to pay up.

cswake
04-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Mailing out surveys has been having dramatically lower response rates to the point where they are concerned about the quality of the data. As for cost, they believe the expense is justified to create all the statistics for about $25 per citizen per annum.

Buffalo Bruce
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
When Dr. Zhivago returned to his in-laws, he was surprised that it was being shared with some workers and being run by a cadre. In a national emergency, it might be necessary to relocate some populations.

phill4paul
04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Mailing out surveys has been having dramatically lower response rates to the point where they are concerned about the quality of the data. As for cost, they believe the expense is justified to create all the statistics for about $25 per citizen per annum.

Awesome..an info tax. Does the Constitution allow this? Anyone?

Smoke the Liberty Tree
04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
just for re-districting mostly. I wouldnt think anything of it really.....

cswake
04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Awesome..an info tax. Does the Constitution allow this? Anyone?

Interestingly enough, the first time they created a permanent bureau or section of the department that was dedicated to collection of statistics was after the Civil War, in the justification of helping farmers. Before that, they always disbanded the census team.

mczerone
04-08-2009, 10:13 PM

I don't know about the general population, but if you want info from me - the return rate of the mailer would be 1000 times better than the chances I'd be actually be home and actually answer the door for someone I wasn't expecting.

But they probably aren't too interested in making sure I'm accounted for, just those who are home all day and don't give attention to their mail.

james1906
04-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I had someone come by in the early evening. I was across the street in the neighbor's driveway and we were watching a woman with a small handheld computer drop off a piece of paper at each doorstep. We also noticed she would enter something into the computer at each doorstep.

When she came to my house, I came across the street and greeted her. She said she was from the Census and was verifying addresses for mailing out forms for next year. She gave me the piece of paper, which was just something talking about how the Census is coming soon. Then she asked me if she could go to the doorstep because the handheld computer is a GPS unit and it is used to log the location of each residence. I told her that I found that creepy, too 1984, and against the Constitutional intent of the Census.

She said it was done to help insure that if people did not fill out the Census someone would come to the door to make sure it was filled out. I asked if Barack was coming to the door, she laughed awkwardly and said he wouldn't come to the door. She said that the Census is done to take a head count of the population for Congressional districting, in which I replied that I'd like to be redistricted out of Bailout Brady's district. I told her that I'd fill out the parts the Constitution mandates and return it. She had to enter me into her system saying that I refused the GPS thing.

I could tell she really didn't like her job and was pretty much doing it to pay bills. She made it a point to tell me she wasn't with ACORN and she seemed both scared and amused by me.

UnReconstructed
04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Its my understanding that Hebrews do not have to participate in the census. It is a violation of Gods word to count the people.

pacelli
04-11-2009, 01:17 AM

Do you still have the piece of paper with the statute cited? I'm willing to bet that the statute says they are required by law to ask for the information.

pacelli
04-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Its my understanding that Hebrews do not have to participate in the census. It is a violation of Gods word to count the people.

You bet.

A Hebrew with a radio show:

www.georgegordon.org

american.swan
04-11-2009, 01:33 AM
What bothers me about the "renting" question is the IRS showing up wanting to make sure renting income was on the 1040.

powerofreason
04-11-2009, 06:23 AM
First the marines now this. Great. Seems like every day we inch a little closer to the world of 1984.

werdd
04-11-2009, 06:36 AM
If they come by, just tell them you are not feeling well and to come back another time. Repeat.

speciallyblend
04-11-2009, 06:55 AM
it is just away for them to pay some unemployed folks to let us know a census is coming. your tax paying money at work. just got a knock on door yesterday about it at my parents house!

made me think hmmmm they are just paying someone money to let us know about a census months away? why not just mail the crap?? ooo yeah this is part of our stimulus plan. pay someone to hand out a flyer to announce that your getting something in the mail!!

speciallyblend
04-11-2009, 06:58 AM
I had someone come by in the early evening. I was across the street in the neighbor's driveway and we were watching a woman with a small handheld computer drop off a piece of paper at each doorstep. We also noticed she would enter something into the computer at each doorstep.

When she came to my house, I came across the street and greeted her. She said she was from the Census and was verifying addresses for mailing out forms for next year. She gave me the piece of paper, which was just something talking about how the Census is coming soon. Then she asked me if she could go to the doorstep because the handheld computer is a GPS unit and it is used to log the location of each residence. I told her that I found that creepy, too 1984, and against the Constitutional intent of the Census.

She said it was done to help insure that if people did not fill out the Census someone would come to the door to make sure it was filled out. I asked if Barack was coming to the door, she laughed awkwardly and said he wouldn't come to the door. She said that the Census is done to take a head count of the population for Congressional districting, in which I replied that I'd like to be redistricted out of Bailout Brady's district. I told her that I'd fill out the parts the Constitution mandates and return it. She had to enter me into her system saying that I refused the GPS thing.

I could tell she really didn't like her job and was pretty much doing it to pay bills. She made it a point to tell me she wasn't with ACORN and she seemed both scared and amused by me.

this can be used to our advantage. it could help redistrict lines for dems or republicans or neither. people should research this,since it could be used to swing power by parties in states and districts!!

torchbearer
04-11-2009, 08:27 AM
What bothers me about the "renting" question is the IRS showing up wanting to make sure renting income was on the 1040.

anything you tell them can be used against you in a court of law... but you are required to tell them. See the problem.

james1906
04-11-2009, 08:28 AM
it is just away for them to pay some unemployed folks to let us know a census is coming. your tax paying money at work. just got a knock on door yesterday about it at my parents house!

made me think hmmmm they are just paying someone money to let us know about a census months away? why not just mail the crap?? ooo yeah this is part of our stimulus plan. pay someone to hand out a flyer to announce that your getting something in the mail!!

Yeah, we're turning into a third world country where useless jobs are created by the government. It's like going through immigration somewhere, where one guy takes your passport, another guy looks at it, another guy stamps it, another guy inspects the stamp, and another guy hands it back to you.

UnReconstructed
04-11-2009, 08:39 AM
You bet.

A Hebrew with a radio show:

www.georgegordon.org

:D that's where I heard it

pacelli
04-11-2009, 08:40 AM
:D that's where I heard it

awesome :) George Gordon fans are overall pretty tough to find. I couldn't find 5 Gordon fans with both hands & a road map at high noon. Ever take one of his classes?

Vepr
04-11-2009, 08:53 AM
A tech-savvy Census gets off the ground

Verification: GPS aiding workers in Bucks and Montco.

By Arlene Martínez | Of The Morning Call
April 11, 2009

This year the U.S. Census Bureau is getting its earliest start ever in the process to determine how many people live in the country, and for the first time, it's doing it with GPS.

More than 4,900 people are canvassing neighborhoods across Pennsylvania trying to verify addresses in anticipation of next year's Census. Newly trained workers started Monday in counties including Montgomery and Bucks. Others will do the same in Lehigh and Northampton counties later this month.

The goal is to make sure no housing unit is excluded when questionnaires are mailed out in the spring of 2010.

All of the workers will be equipped with hand-held computers, said Monica Davis, U.S. Census Bureau spokeswoman. The GPS-equipped computers have a fingerprint login so only the user can access them.

Census workers will visit every residence in the United States, comparing each address with online maps and the help of GPS data, Davis said. If the addresses don't match or, for example, are listed on the wrong side of the street, the worker will enter the correct information into the computer.

Davis said the technology will help make the 2010 Census the most accurate one yet.

Right now, the canvassers are concentrating on private residences, but this summer they will look at group quarters including dormitories, hospitals, nursing homes and prisons.

The bureau is working with faith-based and community groups, state and local officials and schools to ensure no one is missed, Davis said.

Another change with the 2010 Census is the elimination of the long form, a more extensive questionnaire that was used for one in six homes. The long form was replaced in favor of the American Community Survey, which collects select information every year.

The short form will ask basic questions: name, rent or own your residence, race, ethnicity, number of people living in the home and gender.
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_5census.6848742apr11,0,6599586.story

steph3n
04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
The media is doing puff pieces now for the census letting people know that us govt census agents will be on your private property for 'business' purposes to find if any structures with people live there.