PDA

View Full Version : Foreign crisis 'scenario' solution..help???

Schmitto2121
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
In my government class I have to prepare a powerpoint with options as if im the Secretary of Defense and Joint Chiefs of staff.

Here is the crisis: "China starts a series of war games in the South China Sea and it is theorized that they are planning to invade Taiwan".

What would you do if you were the Secretary of Defense? Or what do you think Ron Paul's response to a crisis would be?

I know most of our answer would be simply 'do nothing' but unfortunately that will not fly with this teacher. If you have time, I would appreciate thought out answers as to why and the process.

Thanks!

beerista
04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
This may be a situation where you can best make the case for doing nothing by making an ad absurdum argument in favor of massive intervention. In fact, it would be nice for a change to have the opportunity to demonstrate, by negative example, that showing restraint in foreign affairs is not "offering no solution" but is instead offering a better solution.
I suggest you put together a case for the nuclear option and watch the horror on their faces make your case for "doing nothing" for you.

Imperial
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Do mediation, negotiate with China and see if you can get UN peacekeepers to monitor Taiwan once it has fallen. Pullout all US forces after negotiation if successful.

Best option if working in the international framework I think.

Carole
04-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Be sure you cite the Constitution which requires that you do nothing.

Just as with the economy, demonstrate that doing nothing is sometimes the best solution. Show how interfering can cause the situation to escalate into something much worse.

But add some negotiation and diplomacy in your remarks.

RSLudlum
04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Just as with the economy, demonstrate that doing nothing is sometimes the best solution. Show how interfering can cause the situation to escalate into something much worse.

THIS.

Definitely get across the point that we are very reliant on China financially and anything like us intervening militarily would severely disrupt what little trade presently going on and divert much needed resources (including capital) during this recession towards destroying wealth. You might also want to throw in the fact that the possibility of entering into war with China will not end the recession like so many believe WWII ended the depression.

Schmitto2121
04-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Keep them coming if you have anymore ideas! Ill post yall my whole solution in a few days when im done with it.