PDA

View Full Version : HR 1207 Response from my congressman

werdd
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1207, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009. I appreciate knowing your views.

As you know, Representative Ron Paul introduced H.R. 1207 on February 26, 2009, and it was subsequently referred to the House Financial Services Committee. As a member of this Committee, I look forward to reviewing this bill further as we conduct oversight of the Federal Reserve's actions.

In response to our nation's financial crisis, the Federal Reserve has created a number of new ways for injecting reserves, credit, and liquidity into the financial systems as well making loans to non-financial firms. Its increased involvement in our financial markets and economy has resulted in additional costs and taxpayer exposure.

I believe it is important that Congress and the taxpayers follow the actions of the Federal Reserve as well as other federal financial regulators such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. The federal government must be held accountable for the total cost and exposure put on the taxpayers, which is now in the trillions of dollars, and I have recently joined many of my colleagues in requesting additional information from the Federal Reserve on its activities. As we review the Federal Reserve's actions, please be assured I will keep your support for H.R. 1207 in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of service to you in the future. If you would like to receive updates of my actions in Congress, I send a weekly e-newsletter called "Randy's Roundup" to keep people up-to-date on the big issues facing Washington and West Texas. Many people have told me they enjoy learning what activities I have been up to on behalf of West Texans. Please visit the 19th District's website at www.randy.house.gov to sign up for the Roundup.

Sincerely,

Randy Neugebauer
Member of Congress

He voted against the bailout both times, and is generally a pro-freedom republican. Hopefuly we will see him co-sponsoring this bill soon. I'm willing to bet he will atleast vote for it when the time comes.

surf
04-07-2009, 12:21 PM
i can't even get a response from my lame-ass congressman (Reichert, WA).

He Who Pawns
04-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Seems like a pretty good response from Neugebauer.

pinkmandy
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
i can't even get a response from my lame-ass congressman (Reichert, WA).

Same here. Frank Wolf, VA.

I'm going to put together an opinion piece for the local paper, though. I just have to be careful with the wording so as not to alienate the Repubs here. Maybe if I can do it right it will fire up local Repubs as he does attend Repub meetings here from time to time. He also voted for TARP so he's a sellout anyway. :mad:

mrchubbs
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Same here. Frank Wolf, VA.

I'm going to put together an opinion piece for the local paper, though. I just have to be careful with the wording so as not to alienate the Repubs here. Maybe if I can do it right it will fire up local Repubs as he does attend Repub meetings here from time to time. He also voted for TARP so he's a sellout anyway. :mad:

I've also called and emailed Wolf's office... no response. He usually at leasts sends some generic letter in reply. I'm a bit surprised I've received nothing. Of course if Vern McKinley was our Rep. we'd see his name as one of the first on the bill's cosponsor list.

Enjoy.

pinkmandy
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I've also called and emailed Wolf's office... no response. He usually at leasts sends some generic letter in reply. I'm a bit surprised I've received nothing. Of course if Vern McKinley was our Rep. we'd see his name as one of the first on the bill's cosponsor list.

Enjoy.

I know. I normally get some "I'm looking out for you" response that's utter bs. Maybe we've been put on ignore?

Vern would have been awesome. *sigh*

bigronaldo
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
He voted against the bailout both times, and is generally a pro-freedom republican. Hopefuly we will see him co-sponsoring this bill soon. I'm willing to bet he will atleast vote for it when the time comes.

The thing is, Rep. Neugebauer is on the very committee that the bill is assigned to right now. I sent him a letter a month ago, but never heard a response back. When I called his office last week, they said it was a low priority for him right now so he wouldn't co-sponsor it.

He's typically a good fiscal conservative (except when it comes to the Farm Bill), so I would imagine he would be in support of this bill.

Not that this would necessarily influence his vote, but maybe his hesitation in supporting this resolution is because he was paid over $200K in 2008 by businesses that would be affected by this audit (big banks).

http://lubbockcountyregister.blogspot.com/2009/04/local-republican-randy-neugebauers.html

Michael Landon
04-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Here's my congressman's response:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:
Thank you for your expression of support for the abolishment of the Federal Reserve. I appreciate hearing from you.
On February 3, 2009, Representative Ron Paul introduced the Federal Reserve Abolition Act (H.R. 883). This legislation would eliminate the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and each federal reserve bank. The legislation is awaiting consideration by the House Committee on Financial Services.
Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should I have an opportunity to vote on this legislation.
With best wishes.
Sincerely,
James L. Oberstar, M.C.

Here is his second response when I wrote to him a month later:

Dear Mr.XXXXX:

Thank you for expressing your support of H.R. 1207, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009. I appreciate hearing from you.
This legislation, introduced by Representative Ron Paul on February 26, 2009, would eliminate restrictions currently in place on Government Accountability Office audits of the Federal Reserve, and mandate that an audit of Federal Reserve activities should be delivered to Congress by the end of 2010. The bill has been referred to the Committee on Financial Services for consideration.
In general, I am a strong supporter of accountability and transparency. Rest assured that I will keep your support of this legislation in mind should I have an opportunity to vote on it.
With best wishes.
Sincerely,
James L. Oberstar, M.C.

Earlier I said he probably wouldn't vote for it but now I think he probably would.

- ML

RP4EVER
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
heh....Periello (VA-5) has not yet responded...........wish Virgil was still in office.