PDA

View Full Version : Action Needed: I called Heritage about Ernest Istook

He Who Pawns
04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/290spy9.jpg

This stupid idiot Ernest Istook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Istook) really pissed me off with his disgraceful performance against Dr Paul on CNN's Campbell Brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVjSyBfFM6g).

Istook is a former GOP congressman who now works as a "Distinguished Fellow" :rolleyes: at Heritage, which is supposed to be a conservative think tank that champions the Constitution.

So..... I called up Heritage and gave them a piece of my mind about Istook.

I called Heritage (1-800-546-2843) and this is how the convo went:

A young guy in "membership and policy" answered the phone.

ME: "Hello, I received a donation request from you guys the other day. I have been a supporter of Heritage since 1996, but I have a couple of questions before I mail this donation card in. The other day I saw the former congressman Ernest Istook on CNN's Campbell Brown actually arguing against the Constitution and the 10th Amendment."

HIM: "Uh... I'm sorry about that. He was arguing against the Constitution?"

ME: "Yes, and against the 10th Amendment. I was shocked to see someone from Heritage actually on the wrong side of a Constitutional 10th Amendment issue."

I then described how Istook was arguing in favor of the federal war on drugs, and how this is a clear violation of the 10th Amendment. The Heritage guy was stumped. In fact, to his credit, he agreed with me that it was! But he said he thought Heritage's official position was in favor of the federal war on drugs, but that he could not say 100% for sure.

ME: "But even worse than that, Istook was wrapped up in the Jack Abramoff corruption scandal. Istook received ten of thousands of dollars from Abramoff clients, then wrote letters to the White House on their behalf. I don't want one red cent of my Heritage donation going to a corrupt guy like this. Not only doesn't he respect the Constitution, the guy probably belongs in jail!"

HIM: "uuuhhh..... (stammers)... well, I was not aware of this."

ME: "Well just look on Wikipedia. You don't need to hire a PI to know that this guy is corrupt."

HIM: "We will look into it."

Hahahhaa.

I strongly urge all of you to contact Heritage and demand to know why Istook is arguing against the 10th Amendment, and why a corrupt jerk like him is even on Heritage's payroll. Threaten to withhold contributions until Istook is removed from the payroll, or until he clarifies his position on the 10th Amendment.

http://www.heritage.org/about/contact.cfm

constituent
04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I stronly urge all of you to contact Heritage and demand to know why Istook is arguing against the 10th Amendment, and why a corrupt jerk like him is even on Heritage's payroll. Threaten to withhold contributions until Istook is removed from the payroll, or until he clarifies his position on the 10th Amendment.

http://www.heritage.org/about/contact.cfm

Dude, it's the heritage foundation, you expected what exactly?

Kotin
04-06-2009, 04:40 PM
that video pisses me off to no end..

mother fucker would not let him talk.

He Who Pawns
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Dude, it's the heritage foundation, you expected what exactly?

Well I expect them not to have corrupt idiots on their payroll who go on TV to trash the Constitution and to disrespect Dr Paul.

I really would like to hear them explain how that the federal war on drugs is consistent with the 10th Amendment. It's the kind of issue that exposes them for what they are.

The guy on the phone was completely stumped by that question.

dannno
04-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Wow that sounded pretty effective actually.. like something could actually come of it.

sluggo
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I'll write them a letter.

Good job.

TastyWheat
04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
That sucks about the Supreme Court ruling though. I thought any half-brained judge would see that the drug laws are unconstitutional.

He Who Pawns
04-06-2009, 08:25 PM
That decision was nothing but a mockery of the Constitution.

Justice Thomas regarding Gonzales v. Raich:

“Respondent's local cultivation and consumption of marijuana is not "Commerce ... among the several States.

Certainly no evidence from the founding suggests that "commerce" included the mere possession of a good or some personal activity that did not involve trade or exchange for value. In the early days of the Republic, it would have been unthinkable that Congress could prohibit the local cultivation, possession, and consumption of marijuana.

If the Federal Government can regulate growing a half-dozen cannabis plants for personal consumption (not because it is interstate commerce, but because it is inextricably bound up with interstate commerce), then Congress' Article I powers -- as expanded by the Necessary and Proper Clause -- have no meaningful limits. Whether Congress aims at the possession of drugs, guns, or any number of other items, it may continue to "appropria[te] state police powers under the guise of regulating commerce."

If the majority is to be taken seriously, the Federal Government may now regulate quilting bees, clothes drives, and potluck suppers throughout the 50 States. This makes a mockery of Madison's assurance to the people of New York that the "powers delegated" to the Federal Government are "few and defined", while those of the States are "numerous and indefinite."

He Who Pawns
04-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I'll write them a letter.

Good job.

care to share your letter to them with us?

phill4paul
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Whether Congress aims at the possession of drugs, guns, or any number of other items, it may continue to "appropria[te] state police powers under the guise of regulating commerce.

Including appropriating state powers regarding the 90%:rolleyes: of trafficked weapons to Mexico.:mad:

acptulsa
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Don't look at me. I don't mind if Istook exposes the Heritage Foundation's true colors. And I sure don't want him coming back to Oklahoma!!

angelatc
04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Including appropriating state powers regarding the 90%:rolleyes: of trafficked weapons to Mexico.:mad:

Did you see that number debunked? 12% is more accurate.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/02/myth-percent-guns-mexico-fraction-number-claimed/

sluggo
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
care to share your letter to them with us?

Here goes -

I recently watched a clip of one of your representatives, former Congressman Ernest Istook, in a debate with Congressman Ron Paul on the topic of marijuana legalization. I have to say that I found Mr. Istook's arguments to be troubling -- illogical when one considers the facts about these policies, as well as being dangerous to the ideals set forth by the United States Constitution.

Several estimates indicate that the Mexican drug cartels who are waging war against law enforcement along the U.S. border obtain 60 to 70 percent of their profits from the sale of marijuana.
Common sense would tell you that were it not for Federal prohibtion of marijuana, these violent criminals would not be as well-funded and well-armed as they are. It is simple: the black market, which is created by government prohibition, provides violent criminals with the opportunity to make enormous amounts of money. Mr. Istook conveniently ignored this fact, and seemed more concerned with simply winning an argument than with providing any logical explanations as to why the failed drug war should be continued.

What is even more disturbing was Istook's utter disregard for the U.S, constitution. The 10th Amendment clearly states that powers not granted to the federal government by the Constitution are reserved to the states and to the people. Istook boldly proclaimed that federal law trumps state law in these matters. I found this to be a shocking statement, especially coming from a spokesperson for a respected organization that purports to defend the principles set forth by our founders.

I knew little about Mr. Istook before this interview, and a simple Googling of his name led me to several hits regarding his involvement in the Jack Abramoff scandal. I can't comment on his guilt or innocence in these matters, but I can say that this association is troubling, to say the least. I would think that the Heritage Foundation would prefer to steer clear of such controversy, but then I also thought that your group supported the Constitution. Hey, what do I know?

I hope that you'll reconsider your stance on marijuana prohibition, as well as the spokespeople you choose to communicate it.

Thank you for your time,

Mr. sluggo

I'm going to pretty it up some more, but this is the gist of it.

He Who Pawns
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Epic letter. That was brilliant. Perfect.

He Who Pawns
04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
guys, don't let heritage off the hook.

BuddyRey
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow, this guy's a douchebag!!! :eek:

"In the last eight years our efforts to enforce and educate people have brought down the teenage use of marijuana by 25%"

In countries where it's legal, teenage use is even lower, Numbnuts!!! :mad:

He Who Pawns
04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, that guy is a real fuckface! And BTW, I deny those 25% numbers.. seems like a lie to me. The teens I know are blazing more weed than ever.

Carole
04-08-2009, 04:34 PM
As a side note, I have read some items about Marijuana being useful in a number of ways for various ailments.

Some say they have proof, but it seems to me that further investigation should be carried out.

One site of many I am sure:

Medical Marijuana Uses
http://www.concept420.com/marijuana_medical_med_uses.htm

The question that always comes to mind in this issue for me is that the Big Pharma may be deliberately suppressing knowledge and investigation into the drug somehow to further their own expensive drugs. I also have other questions about why this and hemp are not researched more.

Digitalis comes from foxglove, and it is not banned.

The earliest accounts of the use of poppy preparations date to the ancient Sumerians in Mesopotamia, where the plant was used medicinally and was known as hul gil (the plant of joy). The medicinal uses of poppy were described by the ancient Greeks and opium, as an addictive agent, was identified by Arabic physicians more than 900 years ago.

In fact many medicinal drugs come from plants. so this does not make sense to me to ignore marijuana and hemp in research.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Yeah, that guy is a real fuckface! And BTW, I deny those 25% numbers.. seems like a lie to me. The teens I know are blazing more weed than ever.

all of his quotes and stats were 30 years worth of government B.S.

He Who Pawns
04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
BTW, what is with his quotes about Marinol? I don't know anything about it. But it seems like if his claims were true, then why would soccer moms with cancer be smoking weed? Why wouldn't they just take a pill. It seems like he's lying or hiding the truth about that too.

dannno
04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
And BTW, I deny those 25% numbers.. seems like a lie to me. The teens I know are blazing more weed than ever.

Ya I have a gut feeling about that one too.

When I was a kid I didn't think that the government was such a big brother as it is today, but I'll bet kids now are a lot more suspicious. That means when they hand out surveys asking if they've done illegal substances they answer "No", whether they have or not, a lot more often.

sluggo
04-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I know at one time Marinol was causing serious problems for the people taking it. Hallucinations, anxiety, freak outs etc.

Way more concentrated than any smokable herb.

Nate
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Ya I have a gut feeling about that one too.

When I was a kid I didn't think that the government was such a big brother as it is today, but I'll bet kids now are a lot more suspicious. That means when they hand out surveys asking if they've done illegal substances they answer "No", whether they have or not, a lot more often.

Ding,Ding, Ding. We have a winner!
This is also why the biggest Ron Paul voting block is the youth and most active supporters are under 30 more often than not. The younger you are the less illusions you have about the freedoms in this country. I grew up being beaten by cops at least once every other month. Everybody I know is suspicious of anybody from the government. I never admit to having nor of ever having "illegal drugs" in my possession. Anybody who actually answers a government survey honestly deserves the acts of violence committed upon them just for being stupid enough to incriminate themselves.

Bruno
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
BTW, what is with his quotes about Marinol? I don't know anything about it. But it seems like if his claims were true, then why would soccer moms with cancer be smoking weed? Why wouldn't they just take a pill. It seems like he's lying or hiding the truth about that too.

Marinol is a pure THC pill. I can only speak from what I have heard, as I have never taken it. But supposedly it will leave you flat on your back, stoned out of your mind, as opposed to smoking or eating cannabis, the dosage of which the user can regulate much more easily.

Additionaly, the govt propagandists will talk out of both sides of their mouths:

"Marijuana has no medicinal value." (yet 7 patients receive shipments from the federal government each month, I've opened a canister of U.S. Weed myself)

"Marinol is a THC pill that can be taken" (what? I thought it had not medicinal value? Oh, you mean if pharmaceutical companies can make money from it, then it does, I see...)

The irony is that when you need marijuana for medicine due to wasting syndrome or other illnesses to restore appetite, you can't keep a pill down. But you can still smoke marijuana and get the munchies.

He Who Pawns
04-08-2009, 07:24 PM
. I grew up being beaten by cops at least once every other month.

Lol what were you doing to get these beatings?

He Who Pawns
04-28-2009, 04:29 PM
WOW. This stupid idiot Istook is back to his old tricks again, this time on Fox.

YouTube - Fmr. Congressman Ernest Istook discussing the dangers of the legalization of marijuana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e71l3mPEAJo)

Not only does Istook try some sneaky and underhanded tricks to try to tie weed to "prostitution" and "hard drugs," he completely gets his ass handed to him on national television by a pro wrestler!! What an embarrassment.

Enough is enough. Please contact the Heritage Foundation and ask them to fire this disgraceful idiot Istook, to end his attacks on the 10th Amendment and the Constitution. :mad::mad:

purplechoe
04-28-2009, 05:02 PM
he completely gets his ass handed to him on national television by a pro wrestler!! What an embarrassment.

No Sh*t! A 12 yaer old would have more common sense then that congressman.

He Who Pawns
04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Please contact Heritage and let them know that Istook is humiliating their entire think tank on CNN.

He Who Pawns
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
One bump for this stupid jackass Istook.

BuddyRey
04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
How did it go? Did you get him canned?

He Who Pawns
04-29-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm going to call again tomorrow to try to get some answers about Istook's "status" with the Foundation. I wonder if his bosses there at Heritage know that he got his ass handed to him on national TV by a pro wrestler with a ponytail? Do they know that he's arguing against the Constitution on Fox?