PDA

View Full Version : Speed Vision refuses to cover Driver because of his sponsorship (Gun Manufacturer)

Cap
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.mlive.com/autoracing/index.ssf/2009/04/johnny_benson_faces_sponsor_di.html

Johnny Benson faces sponsor dilemma in Trucks

GRAND RAPIDS -- Grand Rapids native Johnny Benson Jr. and his Red Horse Racing team are either going to have to continue its sponsorship search or accept less television time.

That's what the defending NASCAR Camping World Trucks champion said when he visited Grand Rapids on Monday with Michigan International Speedway president Roger Curtis.

Benson and the MIS staff were in town to promote the June 13 Michigan 200 Truck race, and Benson is hoping to have a sponsor by the time that date arrives.

It appears Benson has a company lined up, but the television networks that carry the races, including Speed, which airs the majority of the events, have Red Horse Racing putting the brakes on that plan for now.

"We have somebody in the works to do it, but TV said they would avoid us if we had this sponsor, and it's a gun manufacturer," Benson said. "We are not sure why that would be the case, but that's the information they are giving us. We have to choose whether we want to head down that road or not. We would hate to have good finishes and run in the top three and have TV avoid us for that reason.

"Originally, I said NASCAR had revoked that, and it wasn't. NASCAR called me Tuesday after I had said that they had shot it down," Benson added. "Apparently it is the TV. It is a very interesting scenario. We have had other (gun) manufacturers in there, and why it is an issue today, I don't know. I haven't had a conversation with them yet to get to the bottom of it.

"I think we are going to have to explore it. Money is money. That's going to have to be one of the things we have to do. But it's awful hard to sell a sponsorship if they know they are not going to show us. That's a tough place to be in for both sides."

Benson left Bill Davis Racing after clinching last year's championship, and he is seventh in points through four races. He has shown steady improvement with his new team. Benson finished 26th in the season-opening race at Daytona, followed by 12th at California and a ninth at Atlanta. Benson then finished fourth in Monday's race at Martinsville.

The series is off until the April 25 race in Kansas.

"Our year is going fine," Benson said. "We have been happy with our performances, maybe not so much with our finishes, but we are with a new team. Our performance has been good. Not great, but good. We are just going to have to be able to rack up some good finishes.

"Four weeks ago, we were 26th or 28th in points. Now we are seventh. That part of it looks good, but our performance has been better than that."

Benson said is scheduled to race twice this season at Berlin Raceway in Marne. He will head to Berlin after the June 13 MIS Truck race and compete in the evening's International Supermodified Association event.

Benson also will return to Berlin for The Chet, an Aug. 29th Late Model 100-lapper.

acptulsa
04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I'd love to see him keep his sponsor and win a race outright. That would be funny--and quite possibly enlightening to those who think the media reports news.

youngbuck
04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
So what specific TV/network company is against the 1st and 2nd amendments in this case. E.g. Clear Channel

Time for Change
04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Time to flood that greedy, self-centered, money mongering Nascar organization with "wake up emails"
These yahoos continue to run from their roots, alienate their fan base and work as hard as they can to socialize the sport of auto racing...
"All the competitors need to have identical equipment in order for everyone to have a chance of winning"

Look at Daytona and Talladega with the restrictor plates.
Once slated to keep the speeds down, they ratcheted the regulations down to jam 43 cars 3 wide, nose to tail for the duration of the race because they cannot allow those with the ingenuity to produce a fast ass car to enjoy the fruits of their efforts.

The drivers are no longer permitted to freely communicate with crew members via radio lest Nascar deem their language inappropriate and levy a screwball fine.

I stopped going to races and stopped watching their programming a couple years ago because of the assault of commercial advertising, the content of the advertising and the disregard for the very people responsible for their income...
THE FANS.

akihabro
04-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Time to flood that greedy, self-centered, money mongering Nascar organization with "wake up emails"
These yahoos continue to run from their roots, alienate their fan base and work as hard as they can to socialize the sport of auto racing...
"All the competitors need to have identical equipment in order for everyone to have a chance of winning"

Look at Daytona and Talladega with the restrictor plates.
Once slated to keep the speeds down, they ratcheted the regulations down to jam 43 cars 3 wide, nose to tail for the duration of the race because they cannot allow those with the ingenuity to produce a fast ass car to enjoy the fruits of their efforts.

The drivers are no longer permitted to freely communicate with crew members via radio lest Nascar deem their language inappropriate and levy a screwball fine.

I stopped going to races and stopped watching their programming a couple years ago because to the assault of commercial advertising, the content of the advertising and the disregard to the very people responsible for their income...
THE FANS.

One of the reasons why I stopped watching NASCAR. It got boring to watch the same cars making a 100-200mph left turn. I found other forms of auto racing which were more exciting.

puppetmaster
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
funny that they find this distasteful yet cover major sponsors of death like National Guard, Army and such....wow major assholes

acptulsa
04-07-2009, 06:09 AM
funny that they find this distasteful yet cover major sponsors of death like National Guard, Army and such....

Boeing. G.E. Raytheon. Just to name three that they'd never turn down as sponsors in a million years.

I love auto racing with a passion but the NASCAR organization screws with things too much. I have an old picture of them passing a car that lacks about three inches of filling out the roof profile template. How much speed is that good for? Remember King Richard Petty's convenient win in his last Daytona? Do you really think he was running the same restrictor plate as the rest of the field?

If you ever bet on one of those races, don't pick the one everyone else is betting on. The mob can't make any money if he wins, so he won't. Same goes for the NFL.