PDA

View Full Version : Guns and tea...

AlphaAmericana
04-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Hello all.

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Serious question: Why doesn't everyone taking part in any of the tax day or tea party protest (while obeying all local laws!!!) come to these events armed?

I think it would make a MUCH louder statement. It would show that for once the people are serious. It would show that this isn’t just any other protest like you see so often from the left.

Just a thought. And glad to be a poster now!

reduen
04-06-2009, 07:46 AM
I think this is exactly what those who want gun control would want. Please keep these things peaceful....

AlphaAmericana
04-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Fair answer, but in now way did I mean to imply not peaceful.

LittleLightShining
04-06-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm not inviting people to be armed. I'm not telling them not to be. Vermont has concealed carry. You never know who's packing. That said I do want people to go into the State House afterward and you can't bring a weapon in there.

ghengis86
04-06-2009, 07:57 AM
"hid ur gunz! they sheelpez is skarred!"

lolz

i think its a great idea; a bunch of peaceful patriots exercising their rights to protest and bear arms.

I will have my .40 in my holster while waving an "end the fed'' sign.

KCIndy
04-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Serious question: Why doesn't everyone taking part in any of the tax day or tea party protest (while obeying all local laws!!!) come to these events armed?

First, welcome to the boards and thanks for posting! Find some more topics of interest to you and jump on in!

Second, in regard to attending the "Tea Parties" whiled armed (and I'm assuming you mean overtly and/or conspicuously) I would personally recommend against it.

Keep in mind, I'm saying this as a libertarian and as a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment.

My reasoning?

1.) The national media would LOVE to turn the focus of these events away from the Pro-Liberty, anti-tax protest they were meant to be. Peaceful anti-tax protesters would instead be misportrayed as a "mob of violent, gun-toting anarchists."

2.) The police would have a field day. You could count on every S.W.A.T. team in a 250-mile radius to show up and use the event to practice and perfect their "mass arrest" training. Keep in mind, in many parts of our fine and formerly free nation, you can get whacked on the head and arrested for so much as carrying an unloaded rifle down the street.

3.) People are genuinely and justifiably angry at the direction our government has been heading. Personally, I would be concerned that if people who are not used to handling weapons are encouraged to bring them to a rally, someone is liable to get hurt, either by accident or as a result of a hotheaded argument.

4.) Worst of all, there's a good chance for tragedy to strike if there's a confrontation between law enforcement/crowd control and a protester if the law enforcement person feels (rightly or wrongly) he's being threatened. ("I *had* to shoot - the SOB was pointing his gun at me!!"

Keep in mind, those are just my opinions... If someone *wants* to come armed, more power to him (or her)! I'm just pointing out what I see to be pitfalls and the potential to have the events turned against us via "Public Relations" moves by the mass media.

Perhaps if one is looking to make a "threat statement" then they can borrow a suggestion from Glen Beck and bring pitchforks and torches.... :) ;) :)

DAFTEK
04-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Tea Party and Guns?

As long as the law is not broken in that state/county or federal i don't see a problem with this.

Places like Arizona where open carry is allowed i don't see why people should not protest legally and safely to show that gun owners are responsible people and follow the law but criminals don't need laws.

my2cents.

ghengis86
04-06-2009, 09:39 AM
First, welcome to the boards and thanks for posting! Find some more topics of interest to you and jump on in!

Second, in regard to attending the "Tea Parties" whiled armed (and I'm assuming you mean overtly and/or conspicuously) I would personally recommend against it.

Keep in mind, I'm saying this as a libertarian and as a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment.

My reasoning?

1.) The national media would LOVE to turn the focus of these events away from the Pro-Liberty, anti-tax protest they were meant to be. Peaceful anti-tax protesters would instead be misportrayed as a "mob of violent, gun-toting anarchists."

2.) The police would have a field day. You could count on every S.W.A.T. team in a 250-mile radius to show up and use the event to practice and perfect their "mass arrest" training. Keep in mind, in many parts of our fine and formerly free nation, you can get whacked on the head and arrested for so much as carrying an unloaded rifle down the street.

3.) People are genuinely and justifiably angry at the direction our government has been heading. Personally, I would be concerned that if people who are not used to handling weapons are encouraged to bring them to a rally, someone is liable to get hurt, either by accident or as a result of a hotheaded argument.

4.) Worst of all, there's a good chance for tragedy to strike if there's a confrontation between law enforcement/crowd control and a protester if the law enforcement person feels (rightly or wrongly) he's being threatened. ("I *had* to shoot - the SOB was pointing his gun at me!!"

Keep in mind, those are just my opinions... If someone *wants* to come armed, more power to him (or her)! I'm just pointing out what I see to be pitfalls and the potential to have the events turned against us via "Public Relations" moves by the mass media.

Perhaps if one is looking to make a "threat statement" then they can borrow a suggestion from Glen Beck and bring pitchforks and torches.... :) ;) :)

thanks for the constructive suggestions. here's my thoughts on the points you raise.
1)what's more Pro-Liberty than exercising 2A rights? Gun registration, licensing and permit fees are a tax on firearm purchasers. personally, being called a 'gun toting anarchist' is a compliment! (not violent though). what hasn't the media turned against the freedom/liberty movement? you put your trust in them to cover the events honestly in the first place?
2) Police have a field day and we have lawsuits. The SCOTUS has ruled that cops can't ask for your papers, er, permit, if they see you walking with a gun on your hip, in a state that its allowed, without witnessing you commit a crime. its like pulling over a car to ask for your license. Lawsuits with massive amounts of damages would hurt any LE that tries to practice 'mass arrests'
3) you shouldn't have a firearm if you're not completely familiar with it and are comfortable handling it safely. there are no accidents, only firearm negligence
4)cops kill people all the time, though in this case, it may be the 21st century 'shot heard round the world'

will the elites/politicians fear that we'll muck their horse stalls or hold bonfires out back?

you raise some interesting concerns, but i think your fears are unfounded. like you said, to each his/her own:D

Carole
04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Hello all.

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I think it would make a MUCH louder statement. It would show that for once the people are serious. It would show that this isn’t just any other protest like you see so often from the left.

Just a thought. And glad to be a poster now!
Such a policy or action-carrying guns to demonstrate could be a problem.

First, they would be seized and violence could erupt due to heavy-handed actions by law enforcement.

Second, it could have a marginalizing or polaring effect upon participation.

While I neither advocate nor protest anyone who "packs" (:D), I think we want to ensure the most people turn out for a peaceful protest. The best way to do that is to avoid doing anything which would attract any kind of "negative" attention to the cause.

P.S. I just love my new taser however. :D

youngbuck
04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
in now way did I mean to imply not peaceful.

Exactly, why is that a knee jerk assumption by so many?

JdotRdot
04-06-2009, 12:18 PM
bring pitchforks and torches....
that's a great idea!! :p
might as well have everybody dressed as 18th century french revolutionaries as well

KCIndy
04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
thanks for the constructive suggestions. here's my thoughts on the points you raise.
1)what's more Pro-Liberty than exercising 2A rights? Gun registration, licensing and permit fees are a tax on firearm purchasers. personally, being called a 'gun toting anarchist' is a compliment! (not violent though). what hasn't the media turned against the freedom/liberty movement? you put your trust in them to cover the events honestly in the first place?
2) Police have a field day and we have lawsuits. The SCOTUS has ruled that cops can't ask for your papers, er, permit, if they see you walking with a gun on your hip, in a state that its allowed, without witnessing you commit a crime. its like pulling over a car to ask for your license. Lawsuits with massive amounts of damages would hurt any LE that tries to practice 'mass arrests'
3) you shouldn't have a firearm if you're not completely familiar with it and are comfortable handling it safely. there are no accidents, only firearm negligence
4)cops kill people all the time, though in this case, it may be the 21st century 'shot heard round the world'

will the elites/politicians fear that we'll muck their horse stalls or hold bonfires out back?

you raise some interesting concerns, but i think your fears are unfounded. like you said, to each his/her own:D

Y'know.....

I actually agree with everything you just wrote. Especially point three - I'm glad we're in agreement that if someone isn't familiar and comfortable with a firearm, we shouldn't be pushing them into carrying one for display/protest purposes.

I'm a huge supporter of Second Amendment rights. I see the Second Amendment as being the keystone that holds up all our other rights. I own guns myself, and encourage everyone to do the same.

But these "Tea Party" events are about getting noticed and getting positive publicity, and in order to get *GOOD* publicity for our cause, we need to make sure we're getting good PR ("Public Relations").

I'm always aghast at how many otherwise sensible people become basket cases at the mere mention of guns.... And as we all know, the mass media will be more than happy to make any peaceful gathering of Second Amendment supporters look like some sort of armed invasion of Klansmen and "gang bangers." The media will happily and willfully distort or message into something deeply negative if they get the chance, and that's my sole concern with the idea of an "armed" Tea Party protest.

We have a small window of opportunity to win a lot of people over to the side of freedom, liberty, and "Ron Paul" style politics. I want to make the most of it by guessing how our opponents will try to thwart us, and preemptively cutting them off.

Danke
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm bringing my canon.

akihabro
04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm going to bring my bible to thump and my shotgun to pump. Haha j/k I think we just need to educate the masses first and get everyone really angry. I would bring my gas mask and rubber bullet/C.S resistant clothing before I'd think my gun would be of any use.

akihabro
04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
that's a great idea!! :p
might as well have everybody dressed as 18th century french revolutionaries as well

Bah. Guerrilla warfare works. Dress like the cops! #1 They are dressed protectively for riots, #2 You might be able to infiltrate the lines if needed. #3 Its a risk to get pelted by protesters so carry so sort of sign, emblem or patch that shows you aren't a cop which can be hidden or disposed of if needed.