PDA

View Full Version : GOP: VICTORY in NASHVILLE (RP supporters become the GOP)

Matt Collins
04-05-2009, 03:19 PM
VICTORY in NASHVILLE!

Here is what happens when a bunch of Ron Paul supporters get involved with the local GOP :D
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=15238

Kotin
04-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Well done Matt.. we are all proud of you.

FSP-Rebel
04-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Nice work Matt

ItsTime
04-05-2009, 03:25 PM
congrats! way to fight.

TruthisTreason
04-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Well done~! :D

Lucille
04-05-2009, 03:31 PM
W00t

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Awesome!

RCA
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Can someone describe the implicit benefits of "taking over" a local GOP? I'm sure there are many, but I can't seem to think of any.

tonesforjonesbones
04-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Contgratulations to all of you Matt! You fought the good fight. I guess spreading tall tales about people in politics is part of that game...I'm glad you made it! Tones

raystone
04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
So, if you are the vice chair, does that mean Kay Brooks won the chair position ?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=185296

Matt Collins
04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
So, if you are the vice chair, does that mean Kay Brooks won the chair position ?http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=185296No, she is a regional director. She wasn't running for chair.

Matt Collins
04-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Can someone describe the implicit benefits of "taking over" a local GOP? I'm sure there are many, but I can't seem to think of any.Credibility. Bully pulpit. Influence of policy and elections. Influence of candidates and platforms. A media who listens to what you have to say.

t0rnado
04-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Congratulations! This is a huge accomplishment and it will allow you to spread the libertarian message further!

idiom
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
That's excellent.

JoshLowry
04-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Can someone describe the implicit benefits of "taking over" a local GOP? I'm sure there are many, but I can't seem to think of any.

We are doing our part and if others with similar ideas of freedom, liberty, and limited government show up and do their part around the country, then we will see a paradigm shift in the American political discourse within 2 years. Who knows, it may even lead to a bloodless REVOLUTION.

Great work and great write up!

dgr
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Matt, Congratulations! A truly impressive accomplishment,
can't wait for your district and state convention reports

Athan
04-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Congratulations man!!

Join The Paul Side
04-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Very well done. :D

FrankRep
04-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Local GOP chairman's race ends revolution attempt
Revolution Deferred: Starnes Takes DCRP Chairman’s Race

06 Apr 2009

Ron Paul supporter Matt Collins was defeated by Kathleen Starnes in his bid for Davidson County Republican Party Chairman by a thirty vote margin this morning at Hillsboro High School. The vote was rematch of the March 7th election for chair that had ended in deadlock. The following is a press release sent out in behalf of the victor:

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/04/04/revolution-deferred-starnes-takes-dcrp-chairmans-race/

acptulsa
04-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Yesterday Tulsa.

Today Nashville.

Tomorrow your city? It can be done. Keep after it!!

georgiaboy
04-06-2009, 06:21 AM
nice! these victories bode well for the GOP future -- just imagine what the National Convention could look like in 2012...

reduen
04-06-2009, 07:07 AM
First of all good job on your efforts Matt. Even though you did not take the head position, it is an accomplishment none-the less.... (I even donated a little to your campaign..) However there is something that I do not think that any of you seem to realize and though I hate to seem like the bad guy, I feel that I must point it out..

The GOP has absolutely zero credibility now with anybody other than the neocon's and this is a fact that will not soon change I assure you. (Especially as long as the gas prices stay around $2.00 per gallon..) I firmly believe any takeover of the GOP to be a waste of time as even if you succeed, then what do you have.? You have a party that has unapologetically thrown the American people, their economy and their culture to the wolves and implemented a foreign policy that is unapologetically rapping the citizens of the world of their lives and culture as well!! If they wanted to be and live like us, we would not have to force them via threat of their very existence!

I still insist that all our effort should be behind bringing third parties into the picture in a manner that Ventura did in Minnesota. It may take an unimaginable amount of time effort and cash to get it done, but then aren’t us Ron Paul supporters a creative bunch of dreamers with an over active imagination..?

acptulsa
04-06-2009, 07:20 AM
To date, no one has ever gone broke underestimating the American public's ability to bounce back and forth between those parties like a ping pong ball--especially when they offer the public hope for change. And we will actually, and for the first time in anyone alive's lifetime, offer real hope for real change. So, seems the right vehicle to me.

A. Havnes
04-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Congrats!

Matt Collins
04-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Yesterday Tulsa.Do you have a link for this?

Don't forget the L.A. GOP was "taken over by Ron Paul Republicans" too:
http://www.therightperspective.org/ron-paul-supporters-take-over-la-gop/

Tomorrow your city? It can be done. Keep after it!!ABSOLUTELY. I want to be an example for other lovers of liberty around the US to follow. We are the trail blazers and we have just proven it can be done!

acptulsa
04-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Don't really know what to link to, as our new libertarian-leaning, JBS member Chair and Vice Chair have never really publicly associated themselves with Ron Paul. I could, I suppose, dig up the Tulsa World article lambasting our new chair for her JBS membership...

But we know we've got the goods. Great people. Know when to fly under the radar, and more importantly, know what's right.

Matt Collins
04-06-2009, 07:46 AM
(I even donated a little to your campaign..) Thank you very much for this!

The GOP has absolutely zero credibility now with anybody other than the neocon's and this is a fact that will not soon change I assure you.Exactly. And that's what I'm here to fix!

I firmly believe any takeover of the GOP to be a waste of time as even if you succeed, then what do you have.? You have a party that has unapologetically thrown the American people, their economy and their culture to the wolves and implemented a foreign policy that is unapologetically rapping the citizens of the world of their lives and culture as well!! Great point. But agian, that's what we are here to put a stop to and reverse.

I still insist that all our effort should be behind bringing third parties into the picture in a manner that Ventura did in Minnesota. It may take an unimaginable amount of time effort and cash to get it done, but then aren’t us Ron Paul supporters a creative bunch of dreamers with an over active imagination..?Competition is good. And the more viable parties out there the more it will force competition. Again at the moment there is very little difference between the two parties, evidienced by the last election and the last decade. But that is what we are here to change. Sadly both parties have written laws to lock out and prevent ballot access to most 3rd parties in many states; it's just another example of using the government to stifile compeition and it is absolutely wrong. While I do not believe any 3rd party will be viable for at least another decade, I do believe that the Dems and Reps should not stifile their compeition by way of the law. What is interesting is that even Gringrich is beginning to recognize this fact (http://news.google.com/news?um=1&ned=us&cf=all&ncl=1326342800).

reduen
04-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Thank you very much for this!

Exactly. And that's what I'm here to fix!

Great point. But agian, that's what we are here to put a stop to and reverse.

Competition is good. And the more viable parties out there the more it will force competition. Again at the moment there is very little difference between the two parties, evidienced by the last election and the last decade. But that is what we are here to change. Sadly both parties have written laws to lock out and prevent ballot access to most 3rd parties in many states; it's just another example of using the government to stifile compeition and it is absolutely wrong. While I do not believe any 3rd party will be viable for at least another decade, I do believe that the Dems and Reps should not stifile their compeition by way of the law. What is interesting is that even Gringrich is beginning to recognize this fact (http://news.google.com/news?um=1&ned=us&cf=all&ncl=1326342800).

No problem man, and congratulations again, it is an accomplishment as I said before. If you need my help in the future, don't hesitate to get in touch. I will always do what I can to help patriots like you...

In truth, I might even try a takeover in my state if I were the political type. (Just to stir things up ya know..) :cool:

Feenix566
04-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Congrats, Matt! You Rock!

steph3n
04-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Matt,

Now is the time for you to learn the ropes a bit, don't let power get to your head, and prove you can lead.

You are young and some would vote against you for that only. As vice Chair you can prove your ability to work with others(even if you can't fully trust them).

Mani
04-06-2009, 08:33 AM
To date, no one has ever gone broke underestimating the American public's ability to bounce back and forth between those parties like a ping pong ball--especially when they offer the public hope for change. And we will actually, and for the first time in anyone alive's lifetime, offer real hope for real change. So, seems the right vehicle to me.

I agree. Ideally 3rd parties are very important because of the danger of the 2 parties getting together and becoming one in the same, however, the NEOCONS took over the republican party years ago, and now is the time to try and take it back. I think it's a good strategy because while the republican party is hurting in credibility now, it still has MUCH more credibility than any 3rd party.

There ARE some limited government people ALREADY in the republican party, so it's an easier group to infiltrate. They might not be 100% libertarian but they already vote properly on many limited government items. They are a smaller voice, but they have a VOICE, and they can be influenced to vote the right way. They are already IN CONGRESS and with 80-90% of them getting re-elected every year, it's much easier to get these LIMITED government representatives on OUR side, then trying to create a BRAND new party with NO credibility, and NO one in power.

I'm not against 3rd parties, I'm all for anyone who wants to give it a go, but I think the strategy to bring conservatism BACK to the republican party is quite sound because the principles are ALREADY in place, and you already have some people on your side to vote the right way. And especially with politicians, if it becomes "the popular thing" to vote limited government, many of those spineless folks will vote that way, just to stay popular.

We need to make conservative principles the thing we DEMAND to scare those politicians into voting that way or to get the limited government politicians to have the balls to vote that way knowing their constituents are behind them.

raystone
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
...Ron Paul supporter Matt Collins was defeated by Kathleen Starnes in his bid for Davidson County Republican Party Chairman by a thirty vote margin this morning at Hillsboro High School...

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/04/04/revolution-deferred-starnes-takes-dcrp-chairmans-race/

Matt, you were defeated in the election in which you've been campaigning. Yet, you wrote the headline

VICTORY in NASHVILLE (RP supporters become the GOP)

I'm as optimistic as the next guy, however, I'm not seeing what you are seeing. Do Ron Paul supporters have a voting majority of the executive committee ? Without that, you ain't changing much. This is still unclear.

Matt Collins
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm as optimistic as the next guy, however, I'm not seeing what you are seeing. Do Ron Paul supporters have a voting majority of the executive committee ? Without that, you ain't changing much. This is still unclear.Well essentially it gives us a platform to speak from and it gives us credibility. Considering the fact that we just started getting involved less than a year ago and now 5 of us hold seats on the Exec Committee I'd say that's pretty good victory. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind but that's ok because we are still going to have success. And for once in a long time you are going to have Republicans discussing limited-government issues again.

jmdrake
04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Congrats Matt! This is probably the most important thing we did since Super Tuesday!

And for those wondering about if it's a "real victory" consider this. We probably could have won the election straight up the first time if we weren't second guessing ourselves. Some were worried if we would become "co-opted" by the GOP. Others worried that we would be perceived as "divisive" and "spoilers". (Yes that came from within our own group.) All of the CFL supporters who have been elected have the opportunity to prove to our own base as well as those outside that neither of those fears need be true. We can engage and assert our own vision without being divisive and without compromise. Note. I'm not mad at anyone for having concerns moving forward. It's one thing to rally for something that is a remote possibility like winning the presidency. It's another to face up to the reality that "We really might win this thing" and deal with the ramifications.

That said CFL types have already introduced important bills to the Tennessee legislature even before winning any seats on the DCRP executive committee. Having a bully pulpit from which to advocate those bills is only a good thing.

raystone
04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Well essentially it gives us a platform to speak from and it gives us credibility. Considering the fact that we just started getting involved less than a year ago and now 5 of us hold seats on the Exec Committee I'd say that's pretty good victory. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind but that's ok because we are still going to have success. And for once in a long time you are going to have Republicans discussing limited-government issues again.

Do you have a voting majority of the executive committee, then ?

Matt Collins
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Do you have a voting majority of the executive committee, then ?That's a complicated question.

There are 5 of us, with 2 others that will most likely vote with us most of the time. Then there are another 3 or 4 that will more likely than not vote with us when it comes to growing the party, fundraising, outreach, etc. There are some other factors and aspects internally within the local Party that are relevent but it would be improper of me to comment.

Matt Collins
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I was mentioned on the radio this morning:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2063035

Matt Collins
04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
The TN Liberty Alliance mentions the Nashville GOP situation in their blog:
http://tnliberty.org/?p=107

satchelmcqueen
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
way to go matt

Matt Collins
04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
way to go mattThanks... are you the girl in that photo?