PDA

View Full Version : The real unemployment numbers

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2009, 05:39 AM
A financial reporter from Newsweek was talking about this this morning.

% of population that is under-employed (work part time, not by choice) 9%
% of population that is unemployed (receiving bennifits and not) 15.5% - 17%

So that's about 1/4 of the population that is unemployed or underemployed.

-t

american.swan
04-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Not surprising.

Source?

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2009, 07:07 AM
C-SPAN with a newsweek reporter citing unspecified government records.

-t

misterx
04-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Underemployment is not the same as unemployment. Most people are underemployed to some extent at all times, whether they want more hours, are settling for a lower paying job, or just think they are worth more than their current salary.

Drknows
04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
unemployment is way higher than what is reported.

They only follow the people who lost their jobs recently and only for about 6 months (well until they lose unemployment benefits or stop looking for work) then they go off the radar.

try 16 percent or higher. 22 percent? Nobody really knows.

Think of all the people who just gave up or found other means of getting by. And how about day laborers, construction, contract/freelance workers? sometimes they go weeks without finding the next job. sometimes they don't. What about people who lost their retirement and cant find work? Or how about the people just entering the workforce? They wont be accounted for if they cant find work.

That's why you keep hearing these stories about hundreds of workers applying for one job.

The majority of the jobs accounted for are what you consider 401k jobs.

silverhawks
04-04-2009, 06:15 PM
unemployment is way higher than what is reported.

They only follow the people who lost their jobs recently and only for about 6 months (well until they lose unemployment benefits or stop looking for work) then they go off the radar.

try 16 percent or higher. 22 percent? Nobody really knows.

I would guess at least 18%.

If I remember right, government stats also report someone who works 1-3 hours a day as employed.

satchelmcqueen
04-04-2009, 08:23 PM
i say 30% is the real number.