PDA

View Full Version : How is the State of the Union rebutter chosen?

rp08orbust
04-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Anyone know? I don't see any quick answer on Wikipedia.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to start a grassroots campaign for Ron Paul to give the rebuttal to Obama's 2010 State of the Union address. I'm sure such an effort would be very "quixotic" (in other words, the outcome is ordained by wise party insiders like Michael Steele, John McCain etc), given that Ron Paul was not even allowed to speak at the 2008 Republican nominating convention when he was John McCain's last challenger.

But hey, we're going to have to start winning some impossible battles like this at the national level if we're ever going to save this country.

The pay-offs of such an effort, if successful, are pretty obvious, but here are some that come to mind:

Ron Paul would have 45 minutes to rip Obama to shreds like no one else could on war, corporate welfare, torture, privacy, the war on drugs, etc, possibly winning some disillusioned Obamatrons to our cause. If the Republican Party were shrewd, they would choose Ron Paul for this reason alone instead of trotting out the typical Bobby Jindals of the party to preach to their choir while doing nothing for the party's image among the wider population.

It would probably be the first time for millions of Americans to hear Ron Paul first hand. It would be that secret billionaire's nationally televised Ron Paul ad that some of us waited for but never got :)

Ron Paul would have 45 minutes to rip Obama to shreds like no one else could on war, corporate welfare, torture, privacy, the war on drugs, etc, possibly winning some disillusioned Obamatrons to our cause. If the Republican Party were shrewd, they would choose Ron Paul for this reason alone instead of trotting out the typical Bobby Jindals of the party to preach to their choir.

It would raise Ron Paul's stature as a presidential candidate for 2012, if we can persuade (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=186253) him to run again.

The rebuttal is usually not given in front of an audience, but J C Watts gave the Republican rebuttal in 1997 in front of a high school audience. Perhaps we could propose that Ron Paul give his response to a college audience.

Original_Intent
04-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I am sure it is a back room decision made by the RNC, and the opinions of the common people will be neither welcome nor given any consideration.

It's a great idea and i would love to be proven wrong.

Zippyjuan
04-05-2009, 07:26 PM
The opposition party picks somebody to give it.

TastyWheat
04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Well they need to stop choosing Jindal. He's kind of effeminate.

Liberty Star
04-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Simple, skin color and gender of the SOTU addresser seems to be primary factor in the rebuttal choice lately.