PDA

View Full Version : I am declaring my intent to run for Congress

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-03-2009, 10:45 PM
But first I need your help. Simply, should I switch parties and run as a Libertarian, should I stay a Republican and fight to restore the party or should I simply not do this at all?

LibertyEagle
04-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Good for you. :) Do it. From what I've seen you post, I think you'd be great.

Roxi
04-03-2009, 11:00 PM
pick which one whos platform and ideals best match yours.

Golding
04-04-2009, 01:31 AM
But first I need your help. Simply, should I switch parties and run as a Libertarian, should I stay a Republican and fight to restore the party or should I simply not do this at all?Realistically, running Republican would make your chances of winning higher than you could ever have running as a Libertarian. If you really want to be Libertarian in Congress, there's always the option of changing parties while in office...

sailor
04-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Run as republican or as an independent. Running as a Libertarian is strategicaly a dead end.

But don`t run with a view that you are going to reform something (like the Republican party), because you will only end up disappointed. Be content with small victories and run with a view to promote more liberty, to convert a few more people and to score a few symbolic victories (like auditing the fed).

sailor
04-04-2009, 01:41 AM
That was Ron Paul`s view when he first ran too. He was actually conviced he had no chance of getting elected and was going to lose. He just ran to make a bit of a stand.

Theocrat
04-04-2009, 01:49 AM
I think you should switch parties and run under the Constitution Party. Even though it has the same economic philosophies as the Libertarian Party, the Constitution Party is more conservative than the Libertarian Party when it comes to moral/social issues like abortion and same-sex "marriage." This puts itself closer to the ideas and convictions of the Founders than the Libertarian Party, in my opinion.

Besides, we might as well start promoting new party candidates while we're in a season where both Republicans and Democrats are continually disappointing the political culture. Congressman Paul set a precedent when he endorsed Dr. Chuck Baldwin from the Constitution Party for President last election cycle. I find great hope in that.

Rael
04-04-2009, 01:57 AM
I think you should run as a republican because it is too hard to win as a third party. But don't bother with trying to restore the party. Make it clear than you are a RINO and offer something different from the 2 parties.

evilfunnystuff
04-04-2009, 02:07 AM
i think that if both would be comfortable for you then repub is the way to go and if ya want to distinguish yourself from neo-cons you can always brand yourself as a ron paul republican or strict constitutionalist...

while i support and respect libertarian runs/candidates it is really a shame to see them put all of their rescources into securing ballot access

LibertyEagle
04-04-2009, 04:30 AM
I think you should run as a republican because it is too hard to win as a third party. But don't bother with trying to restore the party. Make it clear than you are a RINO and offer something different from the 2 parties.

Bad advice.

Actually, the term RINO, is associated with people like McCain, Lindsey Graham and the like. It is NOT a good thing. Don't call yourself a RINO, if you want to be viewed positiviely.

nobody's_hero
04-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Run as a Jefferson Republican.

ClayTrainor
04-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Do it man, run as a republican! :cool:

You can do it!

krazy kaju
04-04-2009, 06:28 AM
You definitely should stay Republican. You'll reach out to more people that way. If you fail in the Republican primaries, you might be able to switch to LP. Just be a member of both parties, like Ron Paul was.

Kludge
04-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Which district (do you intend to run for House or Senate?), and how well-known are you in your local/state GOP?

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Which district (do you intend to run for House or Senate?), and how well-known are you in your local/state GOP?

I will be running in Maryland's 1st Congressional District. I am not well known in my local GOP but that could be a good thing. People around here are getting fed up with the good ol' boys in charge of the GOP around here.

torchbearer
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I will be running in Maryland's 1st Congressional District. I am not well known in my local GOP but that could be a good thing. People around here are getting fed up with the good ol' boys in charge of the GOP around here.

What is amazing about this statement... you will find out later...
Everyone in your district can say they are tired of the good ol' boys in charge, then come election day, you get 2%.
The guy with the most TV ads wins. American Idol style.

dgr
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
The term RHINO and neo con are now as irrelavent as conservative
Rhino means non social conservative to most conservatives
neo con means Bush republican not Reagan republican to some and what Bush represents to others.
you see discontented republicians are caught in the "who's on first" and running in circles
trying to figure out who is who and what the really mean.

But I really liked that Constitution Party Suggestion. It's not Ron Paul who is giving Libertians a bad name it is Bob Barr and the C span's broadcast of their last convention.
But with Virgil Goode as their guest speeker this year all that may change.
When do you have to deciede? The political winds are still going in a circle for now

Natalie
04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Run as a Republican. Then you'd actually have a shot at getting elected. :)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-04-2009, 03:17 PM
The term RHINO and neo con are now as irrelavent as conservative
Rhino means non social conservative to most conservatives
neo con means Bush republican not Reagan republican to some and what Bush represents to others.
you see discontented republicians are caught in the "who's on first" and running in circles
trying to figure out who is who and what the really mean.

But I really liked that Constitution Party Suggestion. It's not Ron Paul who is giving Libertians a bad name it is Bob Barr and the C span's broadcast of their last convention.
But with Virgil Goode as their guest speeker this year all that may change.
When do you have to deciede? The political winds are still going in a circle for now

I still have quite awhile before the deadline to file but I have already requested the papers I need to become a candidate. I am ready to make this official a.s.a.p. as soon as I get my ducks in a row. A lot of you guys are bringing up good points and I am taking it all in. I never would have done this had it not been for the inspiration of folks like you so I hope I can count on your support throughout this process.

specsaregood
04-04-2009, 03:29 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland's_1st_congressional_district

Politically, the district leans Republican, despite the fact that the number of registered Democrats and Republicans are even. The largely rural population is more akin to the South than the more urbanized Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area.

United States House of Representatives elections, 2008: Maryland District 1
Democratic Frank Kratovil 177,065 49.1
Republican Andrew Harris 174,213 48.3
Libertarian Richard J. Davis 8,873 2.5

Currently represented by a democrat, was represented by a republican prior to this year. Last year was the first time a Libertarian has ran (at least in the wiki info) and he got 2.5% of the vote. If you want to win it seems running as a Republican is the way to go; chances are that if you run even remotely close to a RonPaul-esque platform you are going to pick up that 2.5%libertarian vote anyways, so at least with a Republican title you have a chance at getting those Republican votes.....

If you just want to run as an academic excercise then by all means run as a Libertarian....

HAH! After looking again at those numbers above.
The Libertarian got 8,873votes and the Republican lost by only 2,852. That's gotta chaff those Republican asses....

Bman
04-04-2009, 03:34 PM
RINO=Republican in name only.

Romantarchist
04-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Maryland Republicans from what I see, can get away with being alot less neo-connish than Republicans from the South, Midwest or Mormon West. I mean they had Wayne Gilchrest (anti-war and fairly liberal socially) and Roscoe Bartlett (semi-Ron Paul Republican), so don't be afraid to promote what might be seen as more controversial positions.

reduen
04-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Way to go Jdmyprez. I know that you have gotten many votes to stay GOP but I will tell you from my prospective, I will not donate much if you do. If you run third party however that is a different story.... ($1 = 2 cents..) ;)

The GOP is dead, let it die and bring life to another. I personally went Constitution but it matters not wich one you choose. Do like ventura did and prove to everybody it can be done. The best thing that we can do for our country is bring more and more parties into the picture!!!!!!!!!!!

satchelmcqueen
04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
to even have a chance or get on most ballots, youll have to pick a party. so pick one and just run as you would anyway, with a fake title so to speak.

idiom
04-04-2009, 08:02 PM
It is easier to restore the Republican party than the LP.

tekkierich
04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Most of the political energy of the State will be focused on this district in 2010. I suggest this is not an exercise that will bear much fruit. I ran in MD district 2 last year as a Republican. PM me and I will give you a lay of the land how I see it. I was in your shoes November of 2007.

Old Ducker
04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
But first I need your help. Simply, should I switch parties and run as a Libertarian, should I stay a Republican and fight to restore the party or should I simply not do this at all?

By your question, I guess that you're a newcomer to politics. If so, I suggest running for a state office first, which will allow you to build a power base and name recognition. Politics is a business and to be successful you need lots of money and the source of those funds will expect "payment." What platform and party you represent will also need to be tailored to your constituency. If yours is incompatable with your own views, you should move to one that is. Ron Paul is extremely fortunate to reside in a district that respects his minority positions.

If you want to be the second Libertarian in congress, find a district that is similar to Paul's. A "conservative" rural district in an otherwise liberal state might be a place to start, since the expectations will be less, if elected.

TastyWheat
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
You don't have to "toe the party line" just because you're a Republican. Run in whatever party you think will give you the best chance of winning.

torchbearer
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
You don't have to "toe the party line" just because you're a Republican. Run in whatever party you think will give you the best chance of winning.

This.

Austin
04-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I voted for you to stay Republican.

Either that, or go independent. I also agree that the LP is a dead end.

Freedom 4 all
04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I voted Republican, but you could always pull a Conley and run as a Democrat. Libertarian/Constitution Party are nice in theory but I don't see it working out.

GunnyFreedom
04-05-2009, 12:42 AM
What is amazing about this statement... you will find out later...
Everyone in your district can say they are tired of the good ol' boys in charge, then come election day, you get 2%.
The guy with the most TV ads wins. American Idol style.

LOL (sigh) :(

Kinda like the "Old guard" Establishment in NC all of the sudden can't say "Constitution" enough; likes to talk about how they are "Conservative FIRST, and only THEN Republicans" and that "The only way forward is to return to PRINCIPLES"

only to then tell us that EVERY REPUBLICAN has to rally behind and support Richard Burr of Senate in 2010 -- one of the most unprincipled Republicans int he Senate. :mad:

LOL well, if they thought they could "shut me up" by giving me an official seat in the GOP, then they got another think comin!

krazy kaju
04-05-2009, 06:32 AM
You definitely need to run Republican and reach out to conservatives. Point out that this crisis was created by the Fed and that we could completely eliminate the income tax if we went back to the spending we did a few years ago.

LittleLightShining
04-05-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm excited that you're going to run. You have a lot of worthwhile things to say and you always give thoughtful replies when you post.

I wish you would stay Republican. There are people like Gunny, Matt and me (and many, many more who haven't advertised their efforts) who have been working so hard to rebuild the party. We are not usurpers we are the next generation.

Aratus
04-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Run as a Republican. Then you'd actually have a shot at getting elected. :)

It is easier to restore the Republican party than the LP.

You definitely need to run Republican and reach out to conservatives. Point out that this crisis was created by the Fed and that we could completely eliminate the income tax if we went back to the spending we did a few years ago.

Being Constitution Party is a good choise, too! Libertarians have been part of our political landscape here in Taxachusetts since 1971, and i have a hearty respect for the Libertarian Party! However, even if the odds are only 1 in five or 1 in twenty that you can WIN in november as a G.O.P candidate, THEN RUN as a REPUBLICAN!!! i take it, you are on the G.O.P voter rolls, already? lay of the land, yes...?