PDA

View Full Version : Taxing Marijuana Businesses?

Skunx
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Recently the governor of California announced that they might completely legalize marijuana and add a $75 per ounce sales tax on all medical marijuana sold in the state.

I'm all for it. I think it's great that they're finally taking their heads out of their asses and thinking straight for a change.

This would mean that, there will be more and more marijuana dispensaries opening up everywhere.

But just like any other business, you need to classes and prepare yourself so you can do it right.

So far I found that Cannabis Career Institute is doing the best job of educating the public of the laws and all that will be needed to start a legal medical marijuana business and be successful.

I took their classes and I loved it, look them up here (http://sites.google.com/site/420college/).

Uriel999
04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Cool, hope that idea spreads!

Bruno
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
The tax is way too high.

No tax ideally, except for sales tax. Why should it be any different? Because its a "sin"? Under whose morals? Under what biblical law?

dannno
04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
The tax is way too high.

No tax ideally, except for sales tax. Why should it be any different? Because its a "sin"? Under whose morals? Under what biblical law?

If tomatoes were taxed $75/oz they would cost $1,203/lb

Right now tomatoes cost under $3/lb..

Absolutely ridiculous. WAY too high.

Objectivist
04-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Recently the governor of California announced that they might completely legalize marijuana and add a $75 per ounce sales tax on all medical marijuana sold in the state.

I'm all for it. I think it's great that they're finally taking their heads out of their asses and thinking straight for a change.

This would mean that, there will be more and more marijuana dispensaries opening up everywhere.

But just like any other business, you need to classes and prepare yourself so you can do it right.

So far I found that Cannabis Career Institute is doing the best job of educating the public of the laws and all that will be needed to start a legal medical marijuana business and be successful.

I took their classes and I loved it, look them up here (http://sites.google.com/site/420college/).

May I ask what would be wrong with just legalizing marijuana? Who brainwashed you into thinking it needs to be taxed?

Xenophage
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
May I ask what would be wrong with just legalizing marijuana? Who brainwashed you into thinking it needs to be taxed?

Milton Friedman?

Objectivism?

Watch out man, the Rothbardians are restless around here!

Oh, and +1 to your response.

Objectivist
04-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Milton Friedman?

Objectivism?

Thank you.

Does anyone other than myself find it odd that Turbo Tax advertises on a Ron Paul Forum? Geithner used Turbo Tax didn't he?

Working Poor
04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I think that kind of tax would surely make a lot of folks quit smoking pot:p

ClayTrainor
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Legalize it, create jobs, and don't tax it...

:cool:

ClayTrainor
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Or just grow their own :)

Objectivist
04-03-2009, 05:42 PM

Or they could be thrown into the meat grinder Federal Prison System for failing to pay the tax. hmm imagine that Joe Biden.

heavenlyboy34
04-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Milton Friedman?

Objectivism?

I'm not feeling restless at the moment, FWIW. What makes you think I am? :confused:

LATruth
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
If tomatoes were taxed $75/oz they would cost $1,203/lb

Right now tomatoes cost under $3/lb..

Absolutely ridiculous. WAY too high.

Yeah, I think the are also taxing it according to the potency.

The $75 tax would be on the maui wowwie/mk ultra buds...
Not on mexican pooh weed.

That would only drive illegal sales HIGHER!

Working Poor
04-03-2009, 06:24 PM
That would only drive illegal sales HIGHER!

Sounds like a plan...

brandon
04-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Yea a tax that high wouldn't work. Too many people would grow their own.

danberkeley
04-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Milton Friedman?

Objectivism?

No shit! Ron Paul is a Rothbardian too. Btw, I like Friedman for his Free to Choose series. He did a lot to turn people towards freer markets.

JeNNiF00F00
04-03-2009, 06:50 PM

heh not really. People are paying 120 a quarter oz right now for kind bud down here.

So, with the tax that would be 138.75. At street value. Peeps would buy it if it was crystally and hairy and smelled like blueberries or bubblegum.

satchelmcqueen
04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
how much is it off the streets for 1 oz??

brandon
04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
how much is it off the streets for 1 oz??

Depending on the quality and who you know, anywhere from $30 to $140

JeNNiF00F00
04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Depending on the quality and who you know, anywhere from $30 to $140

30 for 1 oz??

Id say anywhere from 120(mids) to 400-500(kind bud) per oz.

brandon
04-03-2009, 06:58 PM
30 for 1 oz??

My bad, I got your previous post mixed up with his (I'm a little drunk) and thought he was asking for the price of a quarter, not an ounce.

For an ounce I would say

$80 dirty mexican shit
$140 mids (medium-low grade)
$250 kind buds (good quality)
$450 headies (Best stuff you can get)

LATruth
04-03-2009, 07:01 PM
$350 an OZ for mk ultra buds... mind numbing...

He Who Pawns
04-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Let them tax it. I'll grow the shit in my back yard if it's legal.

satchelmcqueen
04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
so how long does an ounce usually last? thats alot of money. now i see how people can easily have millions selling it.

LATruth
04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
A OZ would provide me with a really nice months worth...

brandon
04-03-2009, 07:15 PM
so how long does an ounce usually last? thats alot of money. now i see how people can easily have millions selling it.

When I used to be a pot head, an ounce would last me personally about two weeks.

Nowadays an ounce would last me about a year+

silverhawks
04-03-2009, 07:30 PM
That is a ridiculously high tax, considering its a plant you can grow in your backyard or basement. How can they justify it? It's less harmful than alcohol or nicotine! And those using it for medical purposes are people in pain, more than likely already hit by extortionate medical bills.

mrsat_98
04-03-2009, 07:46 PM
The tax is way too high.

Excuse me but sales tax is as big a FRAUD as income tax. I fought it an won and am aware of several others that have done the same.

LATruth
04-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Excuse me but sales tax is as big a FRAUD as income tax. I fought it an won and am aware of several others that have done the same.

Fought sales tax or income tax? Either way please cite your case so I can use it as a precedent in my own trials please!

JeNNiF00F00
04-03-2009, 08:08 PM

About a quarter oz a week per person if you toke daily. Some toke more than this but man thats a lot of weed. It also depends on if those are joints, or if someones smoking bowls from a pipe, or bong.

JeNNiF00F00
04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
My bad, I got your previous post mixed up with his (I'm a little drunk) and thought he was asking for the price of a quarter, not an ounce.

For an ounce I would say

$80 dirty mexican shit
$140 mids (medium-low grade)
$250 kind buds (good quality)
$450 headies (Best stuff you can get)

Its all good. I was thinking "SHIT! I gotta move to where hes at!" lol

Kraig
04-03-2009, 08:33 PM
$60 tops for an ounce here, not dirty weed

He Who Pawns
04-03-2009, 09:04 PM
If the tax is too high, people will simply grow it at home and sell it on the black market. How are cops going to know whether the weed in your joint was bought in a store, or grown in your backyard??

LATruth
04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
You would have to produce a TAX STAMP for the amount you have, like on the bottom of a pack of ciggs...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2174/louisiana6005082.jpg

He Who Pawns
04-03-2009, 09:09 PM
You would have to produce a TAX STAMP for the amount you have, like on the bottom of a pack of ciggs...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2174/louisiana6005082.jpg

Is my joint going to have a stamp on the outside of the rolling paper? I don't think so. I can simply tell the coppers that I tossed out the package I bought it in, like an empty pack of cigs.

LATruth
04-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Is my joint going to have a stamp on the outside of the rolling paper? I don't think so. I can simply tell the coppers that I tossed out the package I bought it in, like an empty pack of cigs.

Keeping the stamp would be a requirement, its already in the legislation regarding the stamps themselves. having a pack without them would in effect make your weed contraband. nothing to stop you from putting new weed in an old pack though...

He Who Pawns
04-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Keeping the stamp would be a requirement, its already in the legislation regarding the stamps themselves. having a pack without them would in effect make your weed contraband. nothing to stop you from putting new weed in an old pack though...

yeah, buy one pack and then grow the shit at home for the next 20 yeas.. sounds ok to me.

Hiki
04-04-2009, 01:06 AM
I think that for just one moment, you should stop bitching about the tax and actually be happy that they're legalizing it.

AutoDas
04-04-2009, 04:55 AM
It's not legal because you need a tax stamp.

Boston Weed Party??

torchbearer
04-04-2009, 08:32 AM
30 for 1 oz??

60-120/oz in Louisiana.
Unless you buy bulk.
1lb =500-600.

Most people have coops where they buy bulk like at sams wholesale, then divide the product at cost.

The first state to fully legalize, including cultivation, wins.

Kraig
04-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I think that for just one moment, you should stop bitching about the tax and actually be happy that they're legalizing it.

"Instead of throwing you in jail for having weed, we're just going to rob your wallet."

Whoop dee fuckin doo.

The_Orlonater
04-04-2009, 09:27 AM
This is a foolish idea. Marijuana can easily be grown, sooner or later they will start arresting people who grow their own marijuana instead of buying from a distributor of some sort where they will be arbitrarily taxed at an excessive rate for a plant's medical usage. It is just shifting powers and punishment; the tax should be way smaller if they want to actually pull this off.

Hiki
04-04-2009, 10:53 AM
"Instead of throwing you in jail for having weed, we're just going to rob your wallet."

Whoop dee fuckin doo.

If it's too expensive.. Dont buy it. If you cant be without it.. Grow it yourself or get it through other contacts.
Every single product is taxed, not a big miracle that marijuana would be too. Now whether that tax is too high I dont know, someone could bring up other products such as tobacco and alcohol to compare the taxes. And that tax is obviously the start, it can come down from there, just be happy that you're not a criminal anymore.