PDA

View Full Version : Obama To Appoint New GM Board Of Directors

angelatc
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/31/AR2009033101521.html

U.S. Plans Key Role In Naming GM Board
Government's Sway Over Firms It Aids Is Topic of Debate

By Peter Whoriskey and Kendra Marr
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, April 1, 2009; A01

The Obama administration will play a key role in reshaping General Motors' board of directors over the next six months, potentially giving it even greater control in the management of the storied American manufacturer.

The president's auto task force plans to consult with the company as it replaces a majority of its board, a White House official said. The board today largely consists of the current and former chiefs of major U.S. corporations such as Coca-Cola, Ernst & Young, Pfizer and Eastman Kodak. It is not known which of the 12 board members will leave.

The president said Monday that "the United States government has no interest in running GM." But in practice it is already exerting tremendous influence over it, a situation that has triggered fierce debate over how much power the government should wield over the companies that it aids.

Kent Kresa, 71, GM's new chairman, said yesterday that company officials will seek to replace a majority on the board by August, as the automaker moves to restructure operations.

I have no doubt that at least one of them will be a little green guru.

torchbearer
04-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Am I the only who see's this as fascism?
I mean, is Obama the majority stock holder?

gls
04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Who would buy a car made by the government? Talk about a death wish.

acptulsa
04-03-2009, 02:37 PM
This is insane. The Board represents the stockholders. Does the government own GM, and if it does how is this not fascism?

torchbearer
04-03-2009, 02:38 PM
This is insane. The Board represents the stockholders. Does the government own GM, and if it does how is this not fascism?

Stockholders have no say.
Are you interested in stocks now?

acptulsa
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Stockholders have no say.
Are you interested in stocks now?

I'm interested in locking Obama and Geithner up in a set of stocks and throwing rotton tomatoes at them.

moostraks
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/31/AR2009033101521.html

I have no doubt that at least one of them will be a little green guru.

Banks skate, and GM is micromanaged. Oh the hypocracy! They want to make sure the new folks stick to the script at GM.

Xenophage
04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
You reap what you sow. GM went begging to the government for help. Kinda like making a deal with the devil, don't you think?

torchbearer
04-03-2009, 03:12 PM
You reap what you sow. GM went begging to the government for help. Kinda like making a deal with the devil, don't you think?

Perhaps it is time for a new car manufacturer to come on the scene.
If only I had the know how...

pcosmar
04-03-2009, 03:17 PM

No
and no.

I am puzzled that many here are posting like we still have a representative government.
Everyone seems to have missed the announcement of the creation of the New World Order.

The United States of America is nothing more than a geographical area under UN control. :mad:

pcosmar
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Perhaps it is time for a new car manufacturer to come on the scene.
If only I had the know how...

You would need the permission of TPTB.

torchbearer
04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
You would need the permission of TPTB.

I think the south could pull it off. We have steel mills in alabama, and nascar mechanics out the ass.
Cost of living is low, so we could build them cheaper than michigan.

Mesogen
04-03-2009, 03:56 PM
U - s - a !

U - s - a !

U - s - a !

ChristopherJ
04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Who would buy a car made by the government? Talk about a death wish.

They'll just lower the price below market value and subsidize the losses with our tax dollars.

dannno
04-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I think the south could pull it off. We have steel mills in alabama, and nascar mechanics out the ass.

Did you see that story the other day about Obama decrying that GM/Dodge and some other company are being pulled off the Nascar circuit??

That's not a bad idea, there's going to be a lot of Nascar people out of work.

Also, you don't have to build the body of cars with steel. Maybe some composite fiber using corn stocks (hemp would be preferable of course, but it's expensive).

angelatc
04-03-2009, 04:26 PM

COL is not bad here. Union wages are the problem.

angelatc
04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Did you see that story the other day about Obama decrying that GM/Dodge and some other company are being pulled off the Nascar circuit??

That was an April Fool's joke.

silverhawks
04-03-2009, 06:37 PM

That's exactly what this is. Welcome to fascist oligarchy. I'm not kidding myself that Obama is calling the shots - he's just the face man.

LibForestPaul
04-03-2009, 09:35 PM
the company is willing to use bankruptcy proceedings if necessary to shed its overwhelming debts, he said.

He said the company and stakeholders prefer to stay out of court, which "does involve risk" and could hurt the company. But a team is working on that strategy in case it becomes necessary, he said.

hope = nope

torchbearer
04-04-2009, 08:20 AM
COL is not bad here. Union wages are the problem.

I've actually been throwing this idea around with some mechanic friends that are also racers.
May do it if we can scratch up some capital.

The first day a union in set up in my plant. It gets shut down.

angelatc
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I've actually been throwing this idea around with some mechanic friends that are also racers.
May do it if we can scratch up some capital.

The first day a union in set up in my plant. It gets shut down.

Read up on, and learn from, John Delorean. Best to buy a couple books and not just skim Wikipedia.

The_Orlonater
04-04-2009, 09:20 AM

No, it is.

torchbearer
04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Read up on, and learn from, John Delorean. Best to buy a couple books and not just skim Wikipedia.

Can you give me a summary of his works?