PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Christianity?

furface
05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm not particularly religious, but I do believe in the non-violent teachings of Jesus. I think there's an underlying thread of what truly defines Christianity in Ron Paul's position. America is a vastly Christian majority nation, yet our policies run very counter to Christian principles. Is it particularly Christian to attack a nation that has not attacked you? Is it particularly Christian to support policies that foster endless violence and injustice?

I'm not bringing this up as a sermon to be preachy or anything. I'm bringing it up because I think RP's supporters can use the "Christian card" as a powerful tool against people who would want to marginalize him because of his positions.

I noticed that Ron Paul originally ran in Tom Delay's district. Tom Delay is a real "Bible Belt" kind of guy. Who's version of Christianity do you believe? Ron or Tom's?

cujothekitten
05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I put the blame on the evangelical "leaders". People like Roberts and Falwell have really skewed the Christian view on religion and politics. When you have pastors supporting a president that condones torture and rendition you know things are heading in the wrong direction.

Also you might really like this woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrS61AHsQA

Korey Kaczynski
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
The first Crusades were started by Pope Urban II giving a lip-service speech to a crowd that spriraled into an invasion of the holy land.

So this isn't a new phenomenon by far.

furface
05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Of course it's not a new phenomenon. Rome gave in to Christianity when it figured out Christianity's symbols could be a powerful subjugating force. This has been a conflict in Christianity since the very beginning, the principles of Jesus versus idolatrous and ethnic supremacist tendencies of the organized church. The same could be said about any organized religion including Islam and Judaism as well.

sweetmusicj
05-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Actually, I believe the crusades were to protect pilgrims on the way to the Holy Land, and also a response to Muslim aggression in Eastern Europe (Constantinople or Greece anyone)?.

Oh yes, crusaders did some bad things. They even sacked Constantinople themselves!

I just get sick of hearing about how horrible the Christians were, when one could argue they were the most non violent groups of people during that time period.

Who knows, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I just think you have to look at the threat of Muslim invasion (and Mongolian Invasion I suppose), and the big picture.

Wait, I think I got way off topic. Ummm...I think that Jesus really didn't preach much about how a government should be run, so that many Christians separate what is ok for the govt to do and what is ok for a person to do personally (render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s).

furface
05-16-2007, 12:17 PM
>>>(render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s)<<<

This implies a dictatorship and a definite detachment from politics for Christians. This isn't what is going on with political fundamentalist Christians in America today.

Separating oneself from the guilt of war, perhaps is what's going on. I believe it's going on, but it isn't valid, especially when you are actively supporting such policies.

In a Democracy, you become "Caesar." You become responsible for your government's actions.

Horace
05-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Jesus wasn't real big on private property, either. Nice guy and all, but definitely more of a "lefty." ;)

Nothing's happened to Christianity. It's the de facto US state religion, so every president always has to claim religious justification for his actions. That's not new. Religions are malleable enough that virtually any demagogue can cobble together any policy and plop a cross on top. It's up to individual believers to decide for themselves whether the association of their religion with a particular policy is appropriate or a red herring.

Brandybuck
05-16-2007, 02:47 PM
>>>(render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s)<<<

This implies a dictatorship and a definite detachment from politics for Christians.
Remember who Jesus' audience was. Religous Jews. When Jesus said "Render under Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's", he was speaking to an audience who knew that everything belongs to God.

The problem with much of the religious right, is that they've replaced God with Caesar. They have become the modern Pharisees, condemning the motes of fornication in the eyes of others, while ignoring the logs of pride in their own.