PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jefferson Questions

DAaaMan64
04-01-2009, 09:29 AM
So... I was watching the History channel. Turns out from their perspective Jefferson certainly made some interesting choices in office I think we should know about.

1. He admitted that it was not constitutional to purchase the Louisiana Purchase, and bought it with a "financial system Alexander Hamilton liked that Thomas positively opposed." (Central Bank) He believed the executive branch had no power to do this.

2. He embargoed all trade with the French and English during their war.

3. He ruled the Louisiana purchase via small military factions.

Hey may have gone even further with number 2, but whats with the rest of this? :P

heavenlyboy34
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
He was something of a hypocrite in practice, but I still like the DoI and his other writings. :cool: To err is human, to forgive divine. ;)

DAaaMan64
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
somewhat?

Truth Warrior
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Napoleon, in order to pay down his Rothschild debts, made T J an offer that he couldn't refuse ( 2 cents / sqare mile ), as I seem to recall.

Thomas Jefferson described the Tenth Amendment as “the foundation of the Constitution” and added, “to take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn … is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition.”

http://www.answers.com/topic/amendment-x-to-the-u-s-constitution (http://www.answers.com/topic/amendment-x-to-the-u-s-constitution)

ClayTrainor
04-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Napoleon, in order to pay down his Rothschild debts, made T J an offer that he couldn't refuse ( 2 cents / sqare mile ), as I seem to recall.

Thomas Jefferson described the Tenth Amendment as “the foundation of the Constitution” and added, “to take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn … is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition.”

http://www.answers.com/topic/amendment-x-to-the-u-s-constitution (http://www.answers.com/topic/amendment-x-to-the-u-s-constitution)

I guess he just gave in to temptation, eh?

acptulsa
04-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Despite the support the French gave us during the Revolution, there was a widespread call for our fledgling nation to go to war with France, and primarily over the Louisiana Territory. It would probably have been disastrous to us.

He helped write the Constitution and knew as well as anyone that the framers didn't take such an unusual--possibly unprecedented--situation into account.

That said, Madison would deserve more blame than Jefferson for the purchase. Madison accepted the deal under pressure of a strict time limit--a time limit that did not allow for Madison to write home for permission. He didn't exactly have a telegraph and transatlantic cable to use for the purpose. So, would you have charged Madison for treason for doing what was pretty much unquestionably the right thing?

Purchase>war. Isn't it?

Truth Warrior
04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
"I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our constitution - taking from the federal government their power of borrowing." - Thomas Jefferson

beerista
04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
So... I was watching the History channel. Turns out from their perspective Jefferson certainly made some interesting choices in office I think we should know about.

1. He admitted that it was not constitutional to purchase the Louisiana Purchase, and bought it with a "financial system Alexander Hamilton liked that Thomas positively opposed." (Central Bank) He believed the executive branch had no power to do this.

Hey may have gone even further with number 2, but whats with the rest of this? :P

Jefferson's primary contribution was the central observation of self government that man, as an imperfect being, is not to be trusted with power over others, as embodied in the following, my favorite Jefferson quote:
"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question."
Is it therefore surprising that, having made this observation, that he exemplified it in office? If anything, this should be an affirmation of the message of Jefferson, that even he was not capable of living up to his own standards of government.

ClayTrainor
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
"I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our constitution - taking from the federal government their power of borrowing." - Thomas Jefferson

Nm, i gotcha.

Truth Warrior
04-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I guess he just gave in to temptation, eh? Yep! Even good old upright honorable T J couldn't resist that bargain. ;) The poor ignorant savage native inhabitants were probably not even aware that Napoleon had "owned" them. :p :rolleyes:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

DAaaMan64
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I guess he just gave in to temptation, eh?

I guess he's no Rorschach. :(

hotbrownsauce
04-01-2009, 08:48 PM

I see number 2 as maybe he didn't want to involve the U.S.A. into other nations disputes? So he felt best to not trade with either instead of both of them looking at us as evil for trading with the enemy? Hmm... that was just an opinion no basis really.

That is a really small list of errors. If we want to compare and contrast would not every other president be worse?

DAaaMan64
04-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Because when the Louisiana Purchase incident had the Federalist ALL OVER HIM, because TJ originally believed his election was someone sort of minirevolution because he believed the direction the Federalists were taking the country in a disastrous path. He believed the Federal Government was too big and getting bigger.