PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party turning into GOP pep rally

spotics
03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
:mad:I was afraid this would happen. It seems that the organizers of the local Tea Party in our area are going to turn it into a Republican pep rally. Featured speakers will include my congressman and a state rep. The local GOP, which refused to allow RP supporters to participate in their reorganization will be a major player in this event. This despite the fact that this bailout nonsense and heavy deficit spending started under a Republican president, was backed by their last presidential nominee, and is supported by the state's senior senator. In fact the state's GOP controlled senate voted to pass four new taxes.

This is exactly what happened to the antiwar, pro-civil liberties groups that popped up during Bush's reign of terror. Rallies and groups opposed to sending troops to Iraq turned into groups that existed more to elect Democrats, even Democrats who had voted for the war and the Patriot Act. In fact I was kicked out of an antiwar group for pointing out that the Democrat they backed supported keeping troops in Iraq and never took any kind of stand on civil liberties. Now we have Democrats in congress and the White House and we are no closer to repealing the Patriot Act or withdrawing from Iraq.

micahnelson
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Take the stage. Disseminate information.

FrankRep
03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Use this opportunity to recruit to your local group. Pass out information.

silverhawks
03-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Take the stage. Disseminate information.

I agree. Play them at their own game. Hand out leaflets, give as much information as you can about REAL constitutional conservatives. Use the platform that's given as FrankRep suggests to recruit into your own local group. Ask for email addresses for a mailing list, and keep sending out information.

Might be worthwhile to see if you can't get Liberty candidates down there to give a speech or two?

spotics
03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Might be worthwhile to see if you can't get Liberty candidates down there to give a speech or two?

We're trying to get Rand Paul to speak at this event. I am not sure the organizer or the local Republican Party would approve.

micahnelson
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
We're trying to get Rand Paul to speak at this event. I am not sure the organizer or the local Republican Party would approve.

Walk on stage. Bring a f&*ing drum and fife. The crowd won't know any better. They can't kick you off or else they look like asses.

Just don't scare people off. Your goal is to unite everyone there around liberty- educating comes later.

Make them feel like Americans, not partisans.

freegirl
03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
This is one thing our local tea party leaders in Nashville are stressing NOT TO DO. Stay on message: it's about the spending, it's about the deficit, it's about the Fed. Keep the GOP stamp OFF of the party. They are not looking for big name GOP guys to speak. I have great notes on "How To Throw A Tea Party"...I need to put them in a post. Really soon. Try to steer your tea parties away from this mistake. They need to be about the people, together, protesting the madness.

fr33domfightr
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
I thought the Tea Party's were about the people, not established political party's. If the establishment were to set one up, I'd go somewhere else, or start my own!!!

FF

dr. hfn
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
It is your duty to tell them the truth! Don't be afraid of them!

Athan
03-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Fuck their approval! Intimidate them and turn it into a spectacle that embarrasses them.

silverhawks
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I have a idea.

Since your Congressman will be in attendance, grab a megaphone and ask him LOUDLY if he intends to put his support behind HR 682, the Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge Act, that will halt the process of legalising insider trading in Congress and the Senate.

Then proceed to leaflet-bomb the crowd with details of this bill, as well as Ron Paul's bills to audit and abolish the Federal Reserve.

Anyone out there already got leaflets made up that they can post a link to here?

Meet any opposition with an argument that these are AMERICAN ISSUES, and deserve to be heard by all Americans who love freedom and liberty, according to the First Amendment, passed down by the Founding Fathers.

Hell, put out a leaflet about Gary E Johnson, BJ Lawson and Andrew Napolitano at the same time - get the word out about genuine constitutional conservatives.

GOP hijack or not, you have just gotten the message out there in a BIG way.

This works for everyone at all tea parties nationwide - do your part, and get the message out there.

micahnelson
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Fuck their approval! Intimidate them and turn it into a spectacle that embarrasses them.

http://www.1776web.com/Fife%20&%20Drum.jpg

silverhawks
03-31-2009, 10:56 PM
I'd stick with vocally educating people.

heavenlyboy34
03-31-2009, 10:57 PM
This is one thing our local tea party leaders in Nashville are stressing NOT TO DO. Stay on message: it's about the spending, it's about the deficit, it's about the Fed. Keep the GOP stamp OFF of the party. They are not looking for big name GOP guys to speak. I have great notes on "How To Throw A Tea Party"...I need to put them in a post. Really soon. Try to steer your tea parties away from this mistake. They need to be about the people, together, protesting the madness.

+1 Please, everyone-try to avoid making the tea parties about a specific party! TPTB are experts at hijacking parties. :p:mad: You can't go wrong if you stick to principles. :):cool: When I get a gig and get settled, I'll look into attending one of these things. :D

Dustancostine
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Start your own tea party and out draw them.

--Dustan

spotics
04-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Perhaps I should tell you more about the Tea Party. It is being put on by the owner of a local radio station that plays Hannity, Limbaugh, and O'Reily for most of their schedule. I nor any RP supporter have anything to do with organizing it.

I plan on calling the owner and telling him that he is going about this all wrong. We don't need to make this a partisan spectical. That will only chase people away. In fact a member of my group even said he didn't want to go if it turned into a GOP pep rally. The local GOP is rotten to the core. The guy who runs it is only a Republican because they are more powerful in this state and can better fatten his wallet.

LittleLightShining
04-01-2009, 05:38 AM
:mad:I was afraid this would happen. It seems that the organizers of the local Tea Party in our area are going to turn it into a Republican pep rally. Featured speakers will include my congressman and a state rep. The local GOP, which refused to allow RP supporters to participate in their reorganization will be a major player in this event. This despite the fact that this bailout nonsense and heavy deficit spending started under a Republican president, was backed by their last presidential nominee, and is supported by the state's senior senator. In fact the state's GOP controlled senate voted to pass four new taxes.
I was asked by a few people to let elected officials speak at the Montpelier Tea Party and I said absolutely not. They get a chance whenever they want to be in the spotlight and heard. This tea party is about the people. The Montpelier slogan is "Reduce Spending, Cut Taxes, Listen to the People".

I agree. Play them at their own game. Hand out leaflets, give as much information as you can about REAL constitutional conservatives. Use the platform that's given as FrankRep suggests to recruit into your own local group. Ask for email addresses for a mailing list, and keep sending out information.

Might be worthwhile to see if you can't get Liberty candidates down there to give a speech or two?Definitely do this! People are waking up and want alternatives. Put on a friendly face and pass out information!

Walk on stage. Bring a f&*ing drum and fife. The crowd won't know any better. They can't kick you off or else they look like asses.

Just don't scare people off. Your goal is to unite everyone there around liberty- educating comes later.

Make them feel like Americans, not partisans.I've been trying for 2 weeks to find a fife and drum corps! I'm having no luck since these guys don't seem to want to engage in political activity. I don't get it but I would be THRILLED if we just had one fife and one drum.

This is one thing our local tea party leaders in Nashville are stressing NOT TO DO. Stay on message: it's about the spending, it's about the deficit, it's about the Fed. Keep the GOP stamp OFF of the party. They are not looking for big name GOP guys to speak. I have great notes on "How To Throw A Tea Party"...I need to put them in a post. Really soon. Try to steer your tea parties away from this mistake. They need to be about the people, together, protesting the madness.We're doing that here. It helps that VT C4L is a nonpartisan group. The Republicans are helping to promote it but they are not sponsors. In fact, I'll be addressing a city committee later today and Saturday I'll be talking to my town committee (after one of our Tea Party Speakers gives a presentation!--which I had a hand in setting up :)) about the event. They're into it and open to it and I'm doing it as C4L.

I have a idea.

Since your Congressman will be in attendance, grab a megaphone and ask him LOUDLY if he intends to put his support behind HR 682, the Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge Act, that will halt the process of legalising insider trading in Congress and the Senate.

Then proceed to leaflet-bomb the crowd with details of this bill, as well as Ron Paul's bills to audit and abolish the Federal Reserve.

Anyone out there already got leaflets made up that they can post a link to here?

Meet any opposition with an argument that these are AMERICAN ISSUES, and deserve to be heard by all Americans who love freedom and liberty, according to the First Amendment, passed down by the Founding Fathers.

Hell, put out a leaflet about Gary E Johnson, BJ Lawson and Andrew Napolitano at the same time - get the word out about genuine constitutional conservatives.

GOP hijack or not, you have just gotten the message out there in a BIG way.

This works for everyone at all tea parties nationwide - do your part, and get the message out there.I love this idea! And if you confront your congressman you won't get heckled by the crowd. They're not at these things because they're happy with the status quo.

Perhaps I should tell you more about the Tea Party. It is being put on by the owner of a local radio station that plays Hannity, Limbaugh, and O'Reily for most of their schedule. I nor any RP supporter have anything to do with organizing it.

I plan on calling the owner and telling him that he is going about this all wrong. We don't need to make this a partisan spectical. That will only chase people away. In fact a member of my group even said he didn't want to go if it turned into a GOP pep rally. The local GOP is rotten to the core. The guy who runs it is only a Republican because they are more powerful in this state and can better fatten his wallet.This is why you need to get involved. I wouldn't tell him flat out that he's doing it wrong. I would offer to help. And I wouldn't make assumptions about this guy.

Check out my experience with the local Beck/Hannity/Rush station: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=186583

weslinder
04-01-2009, 06:28 AM
When I went our Tea Party meeting, I started getting upset with what I thought was a watering down of the message. One of the organizers said that "every economist would defend some deficit spending to get out of the recession", and the first confirmed speaker was Congressmen Kevin Brady, who voted for the bank bailout. But they had several thousand in donations already, a booth at the South Texas State Fair, and media on their side. Oddly enough, the local Republican Social Club (I can't really call it a Party), had very little representation. So I took control of the action. I wrote a petition to have at the Fair, here's the text (slightly edited from my original version):

SOUTHEAST TEXAS TEA PARTY

A PETITION FOR REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES

Whereas, the growth of government at all levels has led to oppressive taxes, unmanageable debt, the imminent destruction of the value of the dollar, an anti-business climate, and loss of freedom, and,

Whereas, the Federal Government has overstepped its limits in banking, manufacturing, agriculture, education, the sovereignty of the several States, and the lives of American citizens, and,

Whereas, the continued growth of government can only naturally lead to the downfall of the American Republic, therefore, be it resolved that,

We, the undersigned citizens of the United States of America, demand that you, our elected representatives, do everything in your power to reduce the size and scope of government, including, but not limited to:

Voting against all tax increases, including any cap-and-trade program
Voting against new government programs
Voting for any legislation that reduces the size and scope of government
Refusing mandates to the State or locality from the Federal Government
Voting to reclaim powers for the States or localities that have been taken by the Federal Government
I called for a caravan to Austin after the Tea Party to hand deliver copies of the petition to every State Rep and Senator.

It was well-received, and it grew beyond my wildest dreams. I don't know how many signatures we have yet, but I saw many pages just Saturday morning at the Fair - and it will run until next Sunday, plus I expect hundreds on the 15th. I had a volunteer to go to Washington and hand deliver the petition to Congressman and Senators. Several elected officials are expected to attend, including Rick Perry. (Important because it guarantees media coverage.) Our local RLC has helped out a lot with the Fair booth and are educating people about HR 1207.

Perhaps most interesting is that I won't even be at the Tea Party. I have a vacation planned, and will be hiking in West Texas far away from cellular service, breathing theraputic desert mountain air. But by helping organize, and giving direction, we are using the Tea Party to really advance the message of liberty.

nayjevin
04-01-2009, 06:32 AM
fight fire with fire!

List your grassroots Taxday Teaparty on this facebook group:

All grassroots teaparties are welcome to list your events here and link to other web pages too. Not sponsored by anyone - not owned by anyone - not raising money for anyone - just plain old mad as hell taxpayers!

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=65782842413

LittleLightShining
04-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I love that redress of grievances. A lot of tea parties are having people sign a scroll with varying messages that the undersigned agree to. I have a huge roll of heavy watercolor type paper-- It's 3 feet wide by at least 8ft long. I wonder if this is something I could use for a petition for redress of grievances? It would certainly make a statement to the Congressman but would it be official?

brandon
04-01-2009, 07:33 AM

This is exactly what happened to the antiwar, pro-civil liberties groups that popped up during Bush's reign of terror. Rallies and groups opposed to sending troops to Iraq turned into groups that existed more to elect Democrats, even Democrats who had voted for the war and the Patriot Act. In fact I was kicked out of an antiwar group for pointing out that the Democrat they backed supported keeping troops in Iraq and never took any kind of stand on civil liberties. Now we have Democrats in congress and the White House and we are no closer to repealing the Patriot Act or withdrawing from Iraq.

Good analysis. It's painfully true.

The question is, what do we do?

eOs
04-01-2009, 07:36 AM
You and a group of people need to host a tea party right next to their event.

acptulsa
04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I have a idea.

Outstanding issue to bring up! Show all those rank-and-file Republican 'team players' who us is and who them is.

I love that redress of grievances. A lot of tea parties are having people sign a scroll with varying messages that the undersigned agree to. I have a huge roll of heavy watercolor type paper-- It's 3 feet wide by at least 8ft long. I wonder if this is something I could use for a petition for redress of grievances? It would certainly make a statement to the Congressman but would it be official?

By all means, let your congresscritter try to ignore the signatures of hundreds of his or her constituents because they signed an eight foot piece of paper rather than an 8x11 inch piece of paper. What better illustration of the problem could you ever ask for?

Folks, who cares if they try to hijack? Since when was the original Boston Tea Party about going along to get along? If the status quo tries to take your protest of the status quo over, well, then they'll be handy to heckle and ask tough questions of--and I do mean the types of questions the press will not ask! Make it count!

Remember--adversity is opportunity!

constituent
04-01-2009, 07:58 AM

Beware Walt Hippieland!

yoshimaroka
04-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Gee, imagine that! The movement was hijacked and Santilli's rant was fake. How surprising! /sarcasm

euphemia
04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Don't you all think there are at least some points on which we ought to be willing to partner with other groups so we can have more people to get out the message? We do at least agree on one point. The best that can happen is that Washington and our states will get a clue and change how they do business.

We are not going to agree with every group on every point. Shoot, we don't all agree on every point. But nobody can deny our right to peacefully assemble. I got no problem fitting in a little bit if Washington pays attention.

I don't know who's planning to show up, but somehow I don't think Senators Alexander and Corker or Rep Cooper will be joining us.

I know I didn't state that very well, but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

RevolutionSD
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Why should this be a surprise?

I kept telling everyone that Rick Santelli supported MCCAIN and is far from a principled libertarian. There was no reason to get excited about this in the first place. We will need to plan our own rallies, not let some MSM neocon set it up and expect that it will be pro-liberty.

LittleLightShining
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Don't you all think there are at least some points on which we ought to be willing to partner with other groups so we can have more people to get out the message? We do at least agree on one point. The best that can happen is that Washington and our states will get a clue and change how they do business.

We are not going to agree with every group on every point. Shoot, we don't all agree on every point. But nobody can deny our right to peacefully assemble. I got no problem fitting in a little bit if Washington pays attention.

I don't know who's planning to show up, but somehow I don't think Senators Alexander and Corker or Rep Cooper will be joining us.

I know I didn't state that very well, but hopefully you get what I'm saying.I hear you.

"Wah wah! the neocons are involved. It's not going to be pure, forget it." If this is your attitude you're part of the problem not part of the solution.

Chieftain1776
04-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I wonder how many pro-bailout politicians have the gall to speak at these rallies. If I go I'm going to BOO them off the stage. I thought about it...it would go something like this:

1) "BOO! This guy voted for the bailout! GET OFF THE STAGE! BOO!"
2) "Someone should run against him in the primary.... Maybe I will!"
3) "This isn't a Republican Politician Employment Fair it's a darn Tea Party to throw bums like him out! BOO!!!!"
4) Heckle them throughout their time onstage.

One can always dream.....:rolleyes:

LittleLightShining
04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
I wonder how many pro-bailout politicians have the gall to speak at these rallies. If I go I'm going to BOO them off the stage. I thought about it...it would go something like this:

1) "BOO! This guy voted for the bailout! GET OFF THE STAGE! BOO!"
2) "Someone should run against him in the primary.... Maybe I will!"
3) "This isn't a Republican Politician Employment Fair it's a darn Tea Party to throw bums like him out! BOO!!!!"
4) Heckle them throughout their time onstage.

One can always dream.....:rolleyes:I would be really surprised if pro-bailout politicians showed up, too. But if they do I like your plan. Run with it!

Chosen
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM

I agree completely with your observation.

The technique is actually to take possession of the opposition. The GOP for the most part supports Obama's agenda. Why not show up to the Tea Party with a sign that reads BUSHOBAMA or a merged hybrid elephantdonkey? Bring some folks, be loud and vocal that the GOP is as much at fault as the current administration.

Chieftain1776
04-01-2009, 08:44 AM
I would be really surprised if pro-bailout politicians showed up, too.

I wouldn't be surprised....one person on this thread said their rep has a speaking slot and he voted for it. Really though...even if it's a regular state politician they shouldn't be there. It should be like what is done at baseball games everytime some pol get up to throw a pitch...Boo's galore.

Also I suspect they'd have security escort the heckler out which would be so shameful but would expose the whole thing for what it is. The pro liberty heckler has a legitimate place there..the politician doesn't.

reduen
04-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Take it back...! :)

A simple solution to this problem...

The GOP is dead and they will try anything to appear to be different. Just do not let them.... :cool:

heavenlyboy34
04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Take it back...! :)

A simple solution to this problem...

The GOP is dead and they will try anything to appear to be different. Just do not let them.... :cool:

+a bunch. I'm hoping they go the way of other extinct parties. It'll be an amusing thing to tell the grandkids about someday when I'm old. :D:)

fr33domfightr
04-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I was asked by a few people to let elected officials speak at the Montpelier Tea Party and I said absolutely not. They get a chance whenever they want to be in the spotlight and heard. This tea party is about the people. The Montpelier slogan is "Reduce Spending, Cut Taxes, Listen to the People".

Definitely do this! People are waking up and want alternatives. Put on a friendly face and pass out information!

I've been trying for 2 weeks to find a fife and drum corps! I'm having no luck since these guys don't seem to want to engage in political activity. I don't get it but I would be THRILLED if we just had one fife and one drum.

We're doing that here. It helps that VT C4L is a nonpartisan group. The Republicans are helping to promote it but they are not sponsors. In fact, I'll be addressing a city committee later today and Saturday I'll be talking to my town committee (after one of our Tea Party Speakers gives a presentation!--which I had a hand in setting up :)) about the event. They're into it and open to it and I'm doing it as C4L.

I love this idea! And if you confront your congressman you won't get heckled by the crowd. They're not at these things because they're happy with the status quo.

This is why you need to get involved. I wouldn't tell him flat out that he's doing it wrong. I would offer to help. And I wouldn't make assumptions about this guy.

Check out my experience with the local Beck/Hannity/Rush station: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=186583

Don't you have a meetup in your area? Gather everyone up on the day of the Tea Party and meet nearby. Find a drummer and flutist at the local High School band. Ask your friends, someone must be able to bang on a drum, at the very least. Wait until the event has already clearly started (15-30 minutes), then come marching in with your C4L signs, tax protest signs, etc. Make it a grand entrance and get some recognition from the news media.

FF

klamath
04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Very simple. If politicians show up that voted for bailouts show up, have preprinted voting records to hand out to all the people. The crowd will start asking the politician why he or she voted the way they did. It will be the politicians biggest nightmare. They will be exposed as the rats they are. On the other hand if the crowd is all right with those votes then you are at the wrong ralley and just walk off.

LittleLightShining
04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Don't you have a meetup in your area? Gather everyone up on the day of the Tea Party and meet nearby. Find a drummer and flutist at the local High School band. Ask your friends, someone must be able to bang on a drum, at the very least. Wait until the event has already clearly started (15-30 minutes), then come marching in with your C4L signs, tax protest signs, etc. Make it a grand entrance and get some recognition from the news media.

FFI'm the one organizing this Tea Party. Our VTC4L is a major sponsor. If you check out the link in the post you quoted you'll hear how awesome it really is!

The TP is at noon so I'm not going to be able to get high school students. I thought of this already :(

satchelmcqueen
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
pass out fliers reminding people that mccain voted for the bailouts too.

TastyWheat
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know where their main base of communcation is but on Ning.com their national group has over 10,000 members already! We need to jump on this bandwagon and steer it in the right direction. I don't think they've established a clear direction yet, most of them are just fed up with the status quo.

One of my favorite quotes from The American President:

People want leadership. And in the absence of genuine leadership, they will listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership, Mr. President. They're so thirsty for it, they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

Lewis, we've had Presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty, Lewis. They drink it because they don't know the difference.

cstewart
04-01-2009, 01:50 PM
The local 'Romney for President' shill is excited about the Tea Parties. It seems the Republicans are trying to co-opt the movement.

Mesogen
04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
:mad:I was afraid this would happen. It seems that the organizers of the local Tea Party in our area are going to turn it into a Republican pep rally.

I've got news for you.

That's what it was always intended to be.

acptulsa
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
I've got news for you.

That's what it was always intended to be.

It wasn't when we were talking about it a year ago. They do love to steal our ideas. Well, we certainly didn't have a copyright on the phrase 'tea party'...

And if we're to win them over I suppose we should be less possessive of our good ideas, too. But unless and until we can clean the neocons out of the G.O.P., this sort of thing does still gall.

jmdrake
04-01-2009, 02:09 PM

I plan on calling the owner and telling him that he is going about this all wrong. We don't need to make this a partisan spectical. That will only chase people away. In fact a member of my group even said he didn't want to go if it turned into a GOP pep rally. The local GOP is rotten to the core. The guy who runs it is only a Republican because they are more powerful in this state and can better fatten his wallet.

You'll never convince him by talking to him so don't try. Find those in your group who are willing to "hold their nose" and attend anyway. Burn mega copies of American from Freedom to Fascism and pass them out to everyone you see.

mediahasyou
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Bring a megaphone and take control.

angelatc
04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
fight fire with fire!

List your grassroots Taxday Teaparty on this facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=65782842413

There is a Tea Party map here: http://tinyurl.com/casddl

shelly
04-01-2009, 06:51 PM
We're trying to get Tea Party organizers to use them as a call to action for HR 1207. Pass it on!

Athan
04-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, megaphone sounds good. And plenty of boxes with GOP elephants and democrat donkeys on them.

parocks
04-14-2010, 04:36 AM
Trying to figure out why Sarah Palin took over "our" Tea Party

Noob
04-14-2010, 04:42 AM
The Tea Party is having that problem all over the place. I heard one Tea Party had split into two differnt groups, the ones with mainly the 9 12 people and the others that were more concern about kicking out both partys.