PDA

View Full Version : I Want You! (to help me turn Alinsky on his head)

free.alive
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Please respond in some way - to this post, pm me, or start other posts with your ideas - if you want to help me coordinate a national network of activists committed to using the most powerful tactics the left uses against business, or against government to agitate against business, strictly against the ends of the state.

I have become very involved in the Republican Party in my state. Outside the party, I have connected with a variety of activists on the right. Also, I am a primary C4L coordinator in my state and have been privy to the inner-workings of what we've don in my state since we were a bunch of newbies painting and waving signs over freeway passes.

Through all of this, I have learned that organizers among what is typically called "the right" do not know how to use their own activists to put pressure on the state. They are only ever focused on limited ends, and once momentum for that task burns out, they have to start nearly from scratch to organize for the next action.

This can change, but we need to lead it. To change this fundamental flaw will require us to consider how the left engages in the political process and meet their challenges of action at every step. It is widely understood that the left can organize a protest or rally with 10, 20, 50,000 people rather quickly. These look good on camera, and (although I hate protests and rallies - mass action) we should become able to do this.

However, what we most need to mimic is the quieter things they do that put direct pressure on key politicians, judges, bureaucrats, departments, media, etc. to cause their targets to fear them and the political consequences of not capitulating. Saul Alinsky is the model. A LRC-recommended book, Dedication and Leadership, by Douglas Hyde, will also begin to rewire the way you look at politics.

All in all, my goal is to find two or three people in each state who are up to the task. You should be willing to learn as much information about your state as you can including: the elections, legislative and party organization procedures; who the principal elected players are and their relationships with others; who the principal unelected players are and what roles they play; what groups are active in your state, what they do, who they target, who their allies are and how to fight/ally with them.

In general, the strategy is an expansion and development on the idea of the carrot and the stick. The goal is Liberty via the reduction of the state. When considering that the left acts so incrementally that it only now is taking over industry, we should know at the outset this battle requires stamina. However, things fall apart much quicker than they are built, and its much easier to persuade multitudes of people that they should be free than that they should accept soft tyranny - well, at least if you can control the terms of the debate and people see through it. (that's only happened once before and we got our secession from the king out of it.)

So if you're down for this, let me know. This will not be done in haste, but we must start immediately. There are already people expressing interest in this, but more people are needed in every state.

free.alive
03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
being that I'm fishing for nuggets, I guess I'm going to have to keep this bumped until the right people see it...:o