PDA

View Full Version : U.S. to guarantee GM, Chrysler vehicles

moostraks
03-31-2009, 06:51 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/30/BU2H16PIN0.DTL&type=business

The White House says the program "will cover all warranties on new vehicles purchased from participating auto manufacturers during the period in which those manufacturers are restructuring." The program is open to any domestic automaker....The warranty program won't solve the big problem: Many people won't buy a car because they can't get a loan or afraid of losing their jobs.

"It's the economy first that's causing the pullback in volumes," Schuster says.

Heard about this this am on the local radio and furious doesn't even cover it for me!!! :mad:

acptulsa
03-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Thought I saw a thread on this yesterday.

I understand the concept--people get nervous when they think the company won't be around to stand behind its vehicles. One thing they always say is they fear parts won't be available, which is silly. Many parts aren't even made by the automaker, and many more aftermarket (read parts store) parts aren't made by either the automaker or its 'official supplier' for those parts. Even so, the idea that an automaker is about to fold does put buyers off of its products. Did in the fifties, did in the seventies, still does.

That said, this is even more subsidation of mediocrity and failure.

ClayTrainor
03-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Americans should just boycott GM at this point...

Kraig
03-31-2009, 07:26 AM
Like we need more cars at this point, idiots, people are afraid to take a loan for a car because they don't need it. They either already have one or know that it's much wiser to buy a used one, until the used market dries up (which would take years) there isn't going to be much of a market for new cars anymore, especially at their current prices. There are so many used cars here that the new ones are a pure luxury item at this point.

torchbearer
03-31-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm not buying gm anymore.

Meiun
03-31-2009, 07:35 AM
What a waste... this is surely the last straw for both of these companies. How can they stand in the face of such bureaucratic idiocy?

I will never buy GM or Chrysler again.

acptulsa
03-31-2009, 08:53 AM
If the government gets away with forcing Chrysler to merge with Fiat (how they can force Fiat to do anything I'll never know) then Chrysler is dead. Simply put.

Back in the day, when only a few of us Americans cared about superior engineering, Chrysler built drivers' cars that could be 'rode hard and put away wet' trip after trip. Now, Fiat has been known to build drivers' cars, but not like that. An old Fiat isn't an automobile, it's a hobby--and it doesn't have to be very old to make that transition. That didn't even work for Etoire Bugatti--at least not during the depression--and the Italians' appetite for beautiful junk is legendary.

moostraks
03-31-2009, 08:57 AM
What a waste... this is surely the last straw for both of these companies. How can they stand in the face of such bureaucratic idiocy?

I will never buy GM or Chrysler again.

I understand this sentiment, but sad thing is we are screwed...Once we lost to the Bush bailout this mess spiraled because the banks got what they wanted and failed to reinvest in the commercial debt as they promised to and instead bought up their competition. Now, we are endlessly on the hook. The msm just compounds the problem all the while failing to seriously address crimes of the perpetrators and building up feel good stories on more government intervention strategies.

This was not the choice of GM or Chrysler anymore than Wagoner chose to step down would be my guess. Righteous indignation and willful hate towards american corporations is the intended outcome as we chop off our nose to spite our face. The banks will continue to profit as they are global entities. We will reap the consequences as more debt is piled on from PBGC, warranty guarantees, social service programs which expand to fulfill services to the unemployed masses, and bailouts.

Meanwhile we buy foreign cars (subsidized by their respective foreign countries either directly or indirectly) because we are enraged at american ineptitude and inadvertently expand foreign entities as our dollars are repatriated. This is insanity at its finest and a one-way ticket to hell. I am so sick of this nightmare...

He Who Pawns
03-31-2009, 09:12 AM
impeach obama.

silverhawks
03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
impeach obama.

This, a billion times over. It's time to restore the rule of law in the world.

euphemia
03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't mean to sound paranoid, but has anyone considered what might be added to a vehicle with the government in control of manufacturing and repair? It's not like they haven't already said they want to tax on the basis of how much we drive. Great! Big Brother now fixes your car. You can trust us. Really.

I wouldn't by a GM product on a dare.

acptulsa
03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Don't mean to sound paranoid, but has anyone considered what might be added to a vehicle with the government in control of manufacturing and repair? It's not like they haven't already said they want to tax on the basis of how much we drive. Great! Big Brother now fixes your car. You can trust us. Really.

I wouldn't by a GM product on a dare.

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/adpic_55/1083b.JPG

tremendoustie
03-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Well, now a GM warantee is less than worthless. I think, for inexpensive, competant automotive repair, the US government would be the second to last place on earth I would go, just above trained monkeys. Although it's a close one.

tremendoustie
03-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Americans should just boycott GM at this point...

No need for a boycott, they're inefficient and overpriced anyway, and it's only going to get worse now that it's government motors. Unfortunately, being part of the government, they don't need our business to take our money.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/3096401508_306cd7812c.jpg

akihabro
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Obama wants them to push out green cars that's his agenda. GM and Chrysler could theoretically still survive just be a lot smaller and live on repairing the vehicles that were sold.

ghengis86
03-31-2009, 02:28 PM
No need for a boycott, they're inefficient and overpriced anyway, and it's only going to get worse now that it's government motors. Unfortunately, being part of the government, they don't need our business to take our money.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/3096401508_306cd7812c.jpg

do we have an updated add that shows just GM and Chrysler? I hate to say it, but Ford is a 'better' auto company in my eyes for refusing bailout money (even though they leveraged the shit outta themselves; though it was the right move)