PDA

View Full Version : Organic Consumers Association - NEEDS EDUCATION!!

dannno
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
The Organic Consumers Association sends out a weekly e-mail entitled "Organic Bytes".

They are trying to down-play the whole HR 875 and other federal regulations, and instead are focusing on new state regulations, which are important, but not nearly as important as keeping out federal regulation.

Here is a story by BreakTheMatrix on HR 875:

http://lists.breakthematrix.com/link.php?M=33643&N=26&L=44&F=H

Here is a story by Glenn Beck on HR 875:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPMoAAGO7Y

Now here is some leftist dribble on the topic from the Organic Consumers Association, a story by Alexis Baden-Mayer:

HR 875 Update: The Biotech Companies are Destroying Traditional Farming (Just Not in this Bill)

* By Alexis Baden-Mayer, Esq.

Organic Consumers Association, March 25, 2009
Rumor Update of the Week
HR 875

The following note is typical of the calls and e-mails Organic Consumers Association has been receiving this week:

"Do you know anything about HR 875, a 'food safety' bill that was written by Monsanto, Cargill and ADM? I've heard a few individual activists scream about this as the death of farmers markets, CSAs and local organic food, yet have seen no alerts from any of the reliable groups, including OCA. Any idea what's up with this?"

For the record, Organic Consumers Association does have an alert out on HR875. As OCA points out in our Action Alert, we cannot support a "food Safety" bill unless it provides protection or exemptions for organic and farm-to-consumer producers and cracks down on the real corporate criminals who are tampering with and polluting our nation's food supply--- such as Monsanto.

Having said that, OCA supports aspects of HR875 that call for mandatory recalls of tainted food, increased scrutiny of large slaughterhouses and food manufacturers, and hefty fines against companies that send poisonous food to market. The now discredited ultra-libertarian notion that companies or the "market" will regulate themselves is not only ludicrous, but dangerous, whether we are talking about the banking system or the food and farming sector.

Of course, Monsanto and large corporate agribusiness are out to destroy traditional farming. Unfortunately, while many people have been distracted by HR 875, the biotech companies have been hard at work pushing their agenda: Monsanto's gene-altered (so-called) drought-resistant corn, Epitopix's E. coli vaccine, and the ban on rBGH-free labeling that Monsanto's successor Eli Lilly is trying to push through the Kansas legislature. We need to keep working together to work towards positive alternatives, such as organic agriculture and the green economy.

Learn more

This type of rhetoric (in bold) is going to be what causes organic and small farms to be destroyed, so for this organization to be putting this type of stuff out obviously ticks me off quite a bit.

OK, I don't have youtube, so I can't put in the details.. which is why I can't write my own letter yet, but if you watch the BreakTheMatrix short clip up top, you can get the details about how the President of Peanut U.S.A. was in fact a head regulator for the USDA. If you are eloquently able to express your views I would really appreciate some help. Explain how the FREE MARKET shut down Peanut U.S.A. while government regulation did nothing, and will continue to do nothing. Government regulation only provides a false sense of security. If the individual were more vigilant, we could use free market tools to regulate the market much more effectively, and things like organic farming would never come under attack.

I would also point out that organic farming has been around for 5-10k years, so ask them why it has only been threatened in the last few decades SINCE government regulation of farming has been introduced..

You might also want to challenge their assumption that the banking crisis was caused by a lack of government regulation on the banks if you're into that.

Please be nice :)

E-mail:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/aboutus.cfm#contact

Phone:

218-226-4164

LittleLightShining
03-30-2009, 04:15 PM
I know, dannno. I am so disappointed with them over this. But like I said, Michelle Obama has an organic garden now so it's ok. Move along, folks.

dannno
03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Bump

Isaac Bickerstaff
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately, many of the organic folks are leftovers from the sixties and are Democrat apologists no matter what. The real organic farmers are all horrified about what is happening.
Perhaps we could gain ground with the lefties if we point out that it is irresponsible to introduce legislation that includes language that can be used by future administrations for an evil power grab. It might get them thinking because it is not an attack on The Leader.

silverhawks
03-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately, many of the organic folks are leftovers from the sixties and are Democrat apologists no matter what. The real organic farmers are all horrified about what is happening.
Perhaps we could gain ground with the lefties if we point out that it is irresponsible to introduce legislation that includes language that can be used by future administrations for an evil power grab. It might get them thinking because it is not an attack on The Leader.

I actually did this on a fairly liberal message board recently. I was careful to point out that while Obama may not be the one to claim dictatorial powers using this legislation, it certainly makes it a lot easier for SOMEONE to.

At first they were resistant, til I pointed out that legislation lasts for more than four years, regardless of whether its passed by a Democrat or a Republican, and that I was sure they wouldn't want a neo-con Republican president taxing environmental groups at 90%, or remove their right to free speech or protest because "it solved a problem".

I also pointed out that rights and civil liberties are inherently non-partisan, and that when rights are challenged, party lines become irrelevant - that's when Americans rise up to defend their inalienable Constitutional rights.

Believe it or not, they were very receptive after that - which I take as a really good sign that people are snapping out of their political apathy.

LittleLightShining
03-31-2009, 03:37 AM
Perhaps we could gain ground with the lefties if we point out that it is irresponsible to introduce legislation that includes language that can be used by future administrations for an evil power grab. It might get them thinking because it is not an attack on The Leader.Exactly. But I would like to point out that though the hippie hipsters are overwhelmingly Democrat, farmers are the most fiscally conservative people I know-- whether they are organic or not. They are also keenly aware of the problems with regulation and food safety issues and how govt uses these issues to make their work more paper intensive and expensive. I have long advocated for reaching out to these people. The leftover hippie organic consumers really put the farmers on a pedestal. They take pride in "knowing their farmer".

I actually did this on a fairly liberal message board recently. I was careful to point out that while Obama may not be the one to claim dictatorial powers using this legislation, it certainly makes it a lot easier for SOMEONE to.

At first they were resistant, til I pointed out that legislation lasts for more than four years, regardless of whether its passed by a Democrat or a Republican, and that I was sure they wouldn't want a neo-con Republican president taxing environmental groups at 90%, or remove their right to free speech or protest because "it solved a problem".

I also pointed out that rights and civil liberties are inherently non-partisan, and that when rights are challenged, party lines become irrelevant - that's when Americans rise up to defend their inalienable Constitutional rights.

Believe it or not, they were very receptive after that - which I take as a really good sign that people are snapping out of their political apathy.Awesome. That's the only argument that could ever work because it's the only argument that's valid. And they will come around because it's the truth.

Working Poor
03-31-2009, 04:29 AM
All the people I know who eat whole foods are very aware of all the bills concerning foods. We have been fighting for years this kind of legislation ya'll newbies need to jump in with this.

The best way to fight this stuff is not to buy the foods that are chemically laden and grown with GMO seed. (http://www.westonaprice.org/federalupdate/aa2003/actionalert_072403.html) The only way they will stop is if they are hit in the only place they can feel it...in the wallet.

The people have so much power in their dollars so much so that the side who wants all this stuff spends amounts on advertising that would boggle our little minds. Because it is legal to advertise and hypnotize. I don't want to hear anyone complaining that actually buys any of this stuff.

When will the folks who buy this stuff wake up? It is up to the aware people to wake up the people who do not see. Start with your children if they are young. Don't let them watch any television show that puts commercials on that make kids want this garbage. Explain to your children that this is bad bad stuff. They will believe you.

Soda and chips start with these things don't buy them. This stuff is killing Americans and making them fat. If you want to get even deeper stop buying anything with artificial sweeteners tell everyone you know that this shit is POISON and it ought to be illegal to put this shit in anything that is called food. GET ANGRY use your power. Make sure you read labels this stuff is in so many so called foods. I can't hardly buy foods at a regular grocery store because of it.

My local health food grocery seems to be very busy so that is good. Make your local health food grocery stores very busy tell all of your neighbors why you go there.

Working Poor
03-31-2009, 05:06 AM
Im so tired (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_h9OyyM3QU&feature=related)

dannno
03-31-2009, 12:26 PM
bump