View Full Version : Tax Day Tea Party APRIL 15TH NATIONWIDE

DAFTEK
03-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Not sure if anyone posted this. :confused:

http://taxdayteaparty.com/

http://dontgomovement.com/images/headnew.jpg

raiha
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Tea Parties seem to be the rage right now. Even Karl Rove wants a Revolution!

LittleLightShining
03-30-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm organizing the Montpelier VT Tea Party.
I posted a thread here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=185165
I posted a wishlist here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=186118

Our facebook event page is here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136459375537 I wish more people would rsvp on the fb page. I have a mailing list right now of over 200 people who have expressed interest in the event and our awesome radio ad hasn't even started playing yet.

DAFTEK
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Would having sub forums by city name be a good idea? i find that many people on the internet have a hard time finding a place to find people and local info in their area. I did find a local Facebook Tea Party club but nothing special. I would think this would also bring people who would not know much about RP and Liberty minded people to this site?

Ideas?

LittleLightShining
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Would having sub forums by city name be a good idea? i find that many people on the internet have a hard time finding a place to find people and local info in their area. I did find a local Facebook Tea Party club but nothing special. I would think this would also bring people who would not know much about RP and Liberty minded people to this site?

Ideas?www.taxdayteaparty.com is a clearinghouse of sorts. You can click on a state link and it will let you know where all the tea parties are schduled for that state. I have had about 50 people contact me via that site and others in the last week or so.

Vermont seems to be unique in that it is the only place where the state Campaign for Liberty is really heavily involved with organizing the events.

torchbearer
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
we are actually having one in Alexandria, first time ever.
And people and radio stations are talking about it.
This could be big.
I'll be sure to have my ron paul signs with me.

DAFTEK
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
www.taxdayteaparty.com (http://www.taxdayteaparty.com) is a clearinghouse of sorts. You can click on a state link and it will let you know where all the tea parties are schduled for that state. I have had about 50 people contact me via that site and others in the last week or so.

Vermont seems to be unique in that it is the only place where the state Campaign for Liberty is really heavily involved with organizing the events.

I looked at that site but its limited to larger cities.. :o

LittleLightShining
03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I looked at that site but its limited to larger cities.. :o
Hmmm... I don't know. There's another site www.teabagobama.com that has some events listed. I guess it must depend on whether folks have organized in smaller towns and then if those organizers have submitted the event to that site. I can tell you one thing. There is only ONE PERSON coordinating all of the events nationwide.

akihabro
03-31-2009, 03:46 AM
Before this movement I knew a tea party to be a party only for gay people. I guess they are mad too http://www.gaypatriot.net/

nayjevin
03-31-2009, 04:05 AM
www.taxdayteaparty.com (http://www.taxdayteaparty.com) is a clearinghouse of sorts. You can click on a state link and it will let you know where all the tea parties are schduled for that state. I have had about 50 people contact me via that site and others in the last week or so.

a mild warning, with caveats:

I have not done the research, but was told that some of the tax day tea parties ultimately lead to Newt Gingrich et al.

Others are formed by grassroots.

Anyone with more information, please let me know.

p.s. I submitted twice to taxdayteaparty.com to have my event listed - and it isn't. don't know why, no response.

this site advertised michelle malkin and freedomworks.org - buyer beware.

they are claiming that they have DOS attacks keeping them from adding new events. I fear that they are not adding any non-sponsored events.

please help me with this issue, I am not smart enough to differentiate orgs, as I have not listened to conservative radio in 10 years and haven't watched television in 6 months. thanks

ryanduff
03-31-2009, 04:14 AM
Hmmm... I don't know. There's another site www.teabagobama.com

Heh.

nayjevin
03-31-2009, 06:12 AM
bump

does anyone have an opinion of which tax party organizers are most likely bottom up vs top down?

thanks!

LittleLightShining
03-31-2009, 07:57 AM
I found another site: http://www.teapartyday.com/

bump

does anyone have an opinion of which tax party organizers are most likely bottom up vs top down?

thanks!Well, from what I've experienced it's very bottom up. I decided Montpelier needed one, I got in touch with the Rutland coordinator and my C4L group and it just sprung from there.

I had to contact the taxdayteaparty site and let them know I was organizing Montpelier. They put it on the website for me. The Rutland/State coordinator set up the insurance for the venue through Freedom Works and voila! Tea Party. I've been contacted by local media and tons of people are emailing me through that site. I've tried to plug the event into as many other related sites as I can.

To be honest, I think they are all pretty much grassroots. I've only been contacted by one sponsor organization and it was to tell me to invite politicians to speak. I replied that they get enough time to speak, this tea party is about the people. Haven't heard back yet :rolleyes:

I lined up all my speakers and have only had a very minor disagreement with the Rutland/State coordinator about it.

I also joined Smart Girl Politics because they are trying to get people to every tea party to register voters. I haven't made any progress there since apparently I 'm the only Vermonter registered with them.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

LittleLightShining
03-31-2009, 08:51 AM
From the taxdayteaparty.com organizers' wiki:

Things to do at a protest

Tame stuff

* Have a list of all important public officials, contact information and a script for people to call. Have a schedule. Setup a phone tree if you can.
* Have everyone at an event call one specific elected official with the same script. The goal is to flood their office with calls all at once. Have a schedule (first 10 minutes call Official X, next 10 minutes call official Y)
* Do the above but with local and national media outlets
* Bring video cameras and post short videos to 12seconds.tv
@Libertas1776: Here in Orlando we made giant buckets of tea and printed out the stimulus bill and everyone crumpled up a few pages and threw it in.
* If you are at public area where there is grass, have everyone stand/walk in a particular pattern (i.e. write "NO TAX" or something small and simple). It will leave a wear pattern in the grass for several days.
* Figure out some way to leave a mark (not vandalism). The idea of the grass pattern above is to have something that lasts for several days that proves you were there.
* Hand out stickers so that people can show others where they've been all day (make sure they are clothing friendly stickers. I have a jacket I still can't get sticker glue off of
* Depending on your protest location, have signup sheets and establish splinter groups who move off to other important locations such as politicians offices, major intersections, etc.
* Draw up a common decleration for all the tea parties to sign and give/send copies to local politicians or congressional district offices.

A bit more radical

* Put wildflower seeds in your pockets and drop them at the protest. "Flowers for Freedom!"
* Do the phone tree thing with your local officials and media but do it all day/week/month. Be polite but keep the call volume high enough to block out their ability to get anything else done. Make it a coordinated effort. Have everyone in your state all call at a certain time of day.
* Declare April 16th to be "Thanks A Tax Payer" day and have people take the day off.

Very radical

* Max out the number of deductions on the W-4 you file with your employer for the first 6 months of the year. Then for the last 6 months you crank it down to zero. With a little calculations you should be able to get your tax bill to be the same. But it denies the Federal Government the quarterly tax receipts it receives from your employer. If done in a coordinated way you can make enough of a ding in the Federal receipts that the Gov't has to pay attention.

nayjevin
03-31-2009, 09:12 AM
cool, thanks abunch. I don't want to see it co-opted for some special interest that is hostile to liberty - that's my only concern. thank you for the info!

LittleLightShining
03-31-2009, 09:16 AM
cool, thanks abunch. I don't want to see it co-opted for some special interest that is hostile to liberty - that's my only concern. thank you for the info!There's only one way to make sure that doesn't happen-- be a part of it or organize your own!

Feenix566
03-31-2009, 09:24 AM
cool, thanks abunch. I don't want to see it co-opted for some special interest that is hostile to liberty - that's my only concern. thank you for the info!

I'm going to the Philly Tea Party. I'll be wearing a shirt saying "Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul" and handing out flyers for the Campaign for Liberty. I figure it's a good opportunity to meet like-minded people. Even if it is being organized by gay-bashing pro-torture pro-war pro-censorship "conservatives".

LittleLightShining
03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm going to the Philly Tea Party. I'll be wearing a shirt saying "Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul" and handing out flyers for the Campaign for Liberty. I figure it's a good opportunity to meet like-minded people. Even if it is being organized by gay-bashing pro-torture pro-war pro-censorship "conservatives".Are you sure about that?

AmericasNewTeaParty
03-31-2009, 10:23 AM
This one is bottom up, I know because I've been working 4 hours a day on top of normal work just to pull this thing off :)

For Immediate Release 3/31/09

Event: Public protest march against reckless federal government spending

Location: March begins in San Francisco at the Civic Center and ends at the office of United States Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi

Date: Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Time: Gather at the Civic Center at 11:00AM and remain at Pelosi’s office until - 1:00PM PDT

http://www.AmericasNewTeaParty.com

(916) 995-5702 telephone

media@americasnewteaparty.com

(Sacramento, Calif.) - Local college student, full-time Toyota salesman, and 25-year-old father, William Thurston, the creator of AmericasNewTeaParty.com, is recruiting fellow citizens who agree with him that reckless federal spending is jeopardizing the future economic well being of our country. Thurston has planned a peaceful assembly and march from the Civic Center, to the office of Assembly-woman Nancy Pelosi. He expects several hundred people to attend.

Similar events around the country have been drawing thousands of protesters. These protests highlight American citizens’ growing frustration with the negligence of lawmakers in passing massive bailout and spending bills. The first stimulus was passed less than 24 hours after it was submitted to lawmakers, and not a single member of congress who voted yes actually read the bill. The planning website for the political protest at www.AmericasNewTeaParty.com is seeing hundreds of visitors a day. One common theme amongst participants is that they feel alone and the website provides a way for them to meet and organize. “I'm glad to see there are a large number of people upset over this and that I am not the only one” a recent visitor commented. Other web sites, including www.TaxDayTeaParty.com have been in the spotlight as the movement has grown. Thurston originally designed his web site as a project for a government class at California State University, Sacramento, but the issue has become personal for him. “It’s not just the bonuses to failed executives that are angering Americans, it’s the theater of outrage many of our lawmakers present while cutting backroom deals enabling the very actions they seem to be outraged about. These large bailouts and stimulus packages are going to be paid for by all of us in the form of higher taxes and devalued currency”, Thurston said. “I hope our lawmakers use more discretion and reverse us from the path they’ve chosen. Because Ms. Pelosi is the Speaker of the House we have chosen to target her offices and hope a large turn-out will get her to think twice about her actions. We are hoping to discourage any future legislative disasters before they happen.”

For more information, contact William Thurston at media@AmericasNewTeaParty.com or call 916-995-5702.

###

LittleLightShining
03-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Wow! That's fantastic! I love it.

nayjevin
04-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Facebook group where you can list your tea party events:

All grassroots teaparties are welcome to list your events here and link to other web pages too. Not sponsored by anyone - not owned by anyone - not raising money for anyone - just plain old mad as hell taxpayers!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?success=1&id=1223281677#/group.php?gid=65782842413&ref=mf