PDA

View Full Version : I hope the campaign sees this - text messages work (and low-cost)!!

AWF
09-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Academic research that argues that text messaging is a very cost-effective means of reaching voters (and reminding them to show up).

I hope the campaign is getting cell phone numbers from people!

Background on the study:

http://www.michigandaily.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=af7bbc15-8374-4aed-af89-b57da72fe945

The link to the published paper itself.

http://projectvote.org/fileadmin/ProjectVote/Blog_docs/Text_Mesaging_in_2006_Election_Field_Experiment-070828.pdf

Dang, I don't know if those links are working...just paste it into the address bar on explorer.

AWF
09-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I hate to reply to my own message in order to re-fresh a thread, and I promise it's just this one time. I am only doing so because of the avalanache of debate-related topics last night that overwhelmed the boards.

I hope the title isn't confusing - it's not related to text messages in terms of boosting poll results post debate. It's about using text messaging as a very important get out the vote tool..which I think will prove to have particular importance for RP's campaign. The links work, by the way.

Thanks for your time. Let's keep up the good work everyone!

jonahtrainer
09-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I hate to reply to my own message in order to re-fresh a thread, and I promise it's just this one time. I am only doing so because of the avalanache of debate-related topics last night that overwhelmed the boards.

I hope the title isn't confusing - it's not related to text messages in terms of boosting poll results post debate. It's about using text messaging as a very important get out the vote tool..which I think will prove to have particular importance for RP's campaign. The links work, by the way.

Thanks for your time. Let's keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks for these. I am seriously considering running for office. My buddy is a tech guru and MBA and he will probably be my campaign manager and treasurer. I have already talked to him about using this strategy. Glad to find some academic validation.

briatx
09-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, then we could be real spammers? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me in the PR dept.

Edit: Maybe if its opt-in it could work.

AWF
09-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Hopefully, to the extent you provide your cell phone number to the RP campaign - when signing in at a campaign event or via a meet up group or otherwise - you won't be put off by receiving a text message. The fact is, email blasts are great too, but some people see text first and it doesn't get overshadowed by a crowded inbox. A good supplement, and I think just one or two texts at crucial times would not be annoying (versus a text every couple of days or so).

Just a simple blast on Monday or over the weekend (before a Tuesday vote), tailored appropriate for each state, eg:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL IN THE [STATE] REPUBLICAN PRIMARY ON TUESDAY, [DATE]!

POLLS ARE OPEN FROM 7 AM TO 7 PM!

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

WWW.RONPAUL2008.COM

katao
09-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Here are some good articles about how Dems (especially Obama) are using it effectively:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/09/13/text_the_vote.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/29/AR2007062902352_pf.html

katao
09-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Perhaps this may best be done outside the official campaign, as a mass communication tool to RP supporters (completely opt-in).

Let's brainstorm good uses of it:

1. Notifications of important online polls
2. Reminders to vote in straw polls
3. Occasional requests for donations (3rd quarter coming up, etc.)

empirenine
09-19-2007, 01:41 AM
My friend developed a program that allows you to create groups of people and send out mass texts to them. Its called tXt_blaster. Its geared toward college students but after speaking with the developer, he says there's no reason anyone else can't use it.

It is 100% free to use, though, the caveat is that it is ad-supported and you'll get a 60 character or less ad at the bottom of each message sent. Free is good though.

You can compose messages from your computer or your phone, which is also pretty cool.

Check it out guys:

www.tXtblaster.com/ (http://www.txtblaster.com/)

American
09-19-2007, 01:53 AM
I like it, I agree I think it would be a great asset to have.

AWF
09-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow, sounds like Obama's campaign is big on that...maybe a little overkill frankly in terms of frequency. I think RP could get a big pop from this - probably a great thing for meet up groups to use...those individuals probably wouldn't mind receiving periodic messages.

American - a bit off topic perhaps, but I really like your accompanying picture :--)

ItsTime
09-19-2007, 07:23 PM
do you think the base supporters will need to be reminded to vote? Esp those versed in text messaging?

What we do need is a band of people posting messages everywhere on the internet and a band of people driving those who can not drive to the polling booths.

Dont get me wrong this is a good idea but anyone opting-in to be reminded to vote will remember to check their emails/myspace/facebook and so on. But maybe since some research suggests it we should try it anyway wont hurt.

(if I came off like an ass I am not meaning too)

jonahtrainer
09-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Perhaps this may best be done outside the official campaign, as a mass communication tool to RP supporters (completely opt-in).

Let's brainstorm good uses of it:

1. Notifications of important online polls
2. Reminders to vote in straw polls
3. Occasional requests for donations (3rd quarter coming up, etc.)

You are right. So long as people opt-in and can easily opt-out then you are respecting their agency and you won't get blowback.

There are so many uses for this. For example, reminding people about a rally or to share good news. To give updates and calls of action (Meetup members totals 75,453. Have you invited anyone to join the Meetup this week?).

Of course, for the Meetup groups there could be lots of uses such as a Flash Mob (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhV3PrZKJOg).

Wouldn't that be great in like Penn Central someone starts running through with a bullhorn shouting "The Neocons are coming, the Neocons are coming. Who will help me save the Constitution?" Then the Flash Mob could respond and start chanting "We will. Ron Paul Revolution, Legalize the Constitution."

We are rather behind with using this type of technology to affect politics. The elite are afraid of The People, especially large groups.

Remember the 1st Amendment rights "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Why do we have all these laws about 'demonstrations' and 'protests'? Now we have 'Free speech zones'. I thought America was a Free Speech Zone. The Founding Fathers would be ashamed of what we put up with.

In the Phillipines (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/24/AR2006082401379.html):

""When Estrada was ousted, we realized the power of texting," said Palatino, the slight, well-spoken president of a national youth party. "Since then we have never stopped using it to advance our causes."