PDA

View Full Version : "1 in 5 Americans are disabled"???

BlackTerrel
03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I just came back from the grocery store where I was urged by the automated credit payment system to donate money to Americans with disabilities. According to the screen "1 in 5 Americans live with a disability".

Now I know I may not be representative but in my entire social circle (including older family and friends) I know one person who is disabled (he was shot in Iraq and has limited use of his legs).

So have they changed the definition of disabled to anyone who's ever had a tooth ache or is there an army of disabled people out there that I don't know about. (They definitely don't get out much because the handicapped parking space is always open - always tempting me with that big blue space right next to the building :)

RSLudlum
03-29-2009, 08:00 PM
According to the screen "1 in 5 Americans live with a disability".

I live with a disability everyday. Mine is called the government. ;)

As far as their claim goes, I'm pretty sure there are many people out there that have a disability but use what abilities they have to get on with life. Isn't that what most people do? Take advantage of what they're best at, and not dwell on their weaknesses. But yeah, I'd like to see their list of qualifiable disabilities.

constitutional
03-29-2009, 08:02 PM
So have they changed the definition of disabled to anyone who's ever had a tooth ache or is there an army of disabled people out there that I don't know about. (They definitely don't get out much because the handicapped parking space is always open - always tempting me with that big blue space right next to the building :)

Yeah and believe it or not, there were not many people with disabilities before the ADA Act was passed.

swirling_vortex
03-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Here's a page with stats: http://codi.buffalo.edu/graph_based/.demographics/.statistics.htm

I agree though that "disability" has been broadened to cover more things than it probably doesn't need to be.

Truth Warrior
03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
1 in 3 Americans votes, I'll bet there's some MAJOR overlap. :D

Zolah
03-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I would think that there would be a very large amount of eldery people with alzheimers, deafness, etc. that would probably be why the figures would be so high if they are 1 in 5 people in America. They may also be including people with clinical depression I guess - bi-polar disorder can be quite disruptive on a daily basis as you can perhaps imagine.

My maths isn't great but I think a fifth of the population would be 60 million people, I'm not sure the figures that high, a quick look for figures shows at least 50 million people with a reported disability.

But I think depression and alzheimers and other mental health issues is the general answer to your thread :p

Josh_LA
03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
just a new excuse to expand handicap parking space quotas

Young Paleocon
03-29-2009, 08:13 PM
I like most Americans live with the disability of having been indoctrinated by public education, and we have to strive everyday to reclaim the truth.

Original_Intent
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM

TW, I just wish you would grow up and admit that the turd sandwich is a lot better than the giant douche. ;)

Truth Warrior
03-29-2009, 08:16 PM
TW, I just wish you would grow up and admit that the turd sandwich is a lot better than the giant douche. ;) See what I mean? :D

phill4paul
03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
TW, I just wish you would grow up and admit that the turd sandwich is a lot better than the giant douche. ;)

For myself, I choose neither.

BlackTerrel
03-29-2009, 08:50 PM

http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/southparkvote_160.jpg

Truth Warrior
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/southparkvote_160.jpg Voting confers and guarantees immortality. :cool: :D

muh_roads
03-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Fat people are considered to be "disabled".

heavenlyboy34
03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
1 in 3 americans votes, i'll bet there's some major overlap. :d

lmfao!!! :) :d;)

LibertyEagle
03-29-2009, 09:37 PM

No doubt, with the 2 who don't vote.

Perhaps that explains the 'sitting on the couch' factor.

Truth Warrior
03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
No doubt, with the 2 who don't vote. See what I mean? :D

BuddyRey
03-29-2009, 09:57 PM
The notion of disability is so effective for government because it can help breed a mindset of helplessness and dependence. I have a congenital circulatory condition that prevents me from engaging in most strenuous physical activities, yet I have never given in to the poltroon and self-abasing attitude that I am "disabled" in any way, since no man or woman in possession of humankind's highest attribute - the ability to think and to reason - is disabled.

To think of oneself as disabled is to abdicate the potential, inherent in all, for being possessed of solid self-worth and a vital, capable benefactor of society. No wonder the government so relishes the "one in five" figure! :rolleyes:

sailor
03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Here we can see why PC perversion of language can work so well.

They could have never gotten away with saying 1 in 5 are cripples.

But as soon as you change it into a phony word that doesnt` exist and doesn`t mean anything like "disabled" then you can write all sorts of crap without it triggering the bullshit detector.

silverhawks
03-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I live with a disability everyday. Mine is called the government. ;)

By that definition, 5 out of 5 Americans is disabled.

Pauls' Revere
03-29-2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-36000

Disability means, with respect to an individual, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual; a record of such an impairment; or being regarded as having such animpairment.

(1) The phrase physical or mental impairment means --

(i) Any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genitourinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine;

(ii) Any mental or psychological disorder such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities;

(iii) The phrase physical or mental impairment includes, but is not limited to, such contagious and noncontagious diseases and conditions as orthopedic, visual, speech, and hearing impairments, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, mental retardation, emotional illness, specific learning disabilities, HIV disease (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic), tuberculosis, drug addiction, and alcoholism;

(iv) The phrase physical or mental impairment does not include homosexuality or bisexuality.

(2) The phrase major life activities means functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

(3) The phrase has a record of such an impairment means has a history of, or has been misclassified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

(4) The phrase is regarded as having an impairment means --

(i) Has a physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit major life activities but that is treated by a private entity as constituting such a limitation;

(ii) Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits major life activities only as a result of the attitudes of others toward such impairment; or

(iii) Has none of the impairments defined in paragraph (1) of this definition but is treated by a private entity as having such an impairment.

(5) The term disability does not include --

(i) Transvestism, transsexualism, pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism, gender identity disorders not resulting from physical impairments, or other sexual behavior disorders;

(ii) Compulsive gambling, kleptomania, or pyromania; or

(iii) Psychoactive substance use disorders resulting from current illegal use of drugs.

Drug means a controlled substance, as defined in schedules I through V of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812).

nate895
03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
My bet, like others, is that they include as disabled anybody who gets short of breath if they run a shorter length than a normal person. Also, there are plenty of people with "disabilities" that you would never know on the outside. Take kidney failure (which my mother had), other than reduced energy and a little weakness, with treatment, and otherwise good health, you could barely guess someone had the disease, yet they are considered "disabled." I'd prefer using other terms for anyone who isn't truly disabled from carrying out basic function. People who truly can't walk, or are mentally incapable are the ones who are "disabled," not people who can carry on everyday functions without assistance but who might have difficulty in harder tasks.

Johnsgoat
03-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I like most Americans live with the disability of having been indoctrinated by public education, and we have to strive everyday to reclaim the truth.Ha! I often say my public education is a Handicap

BlackTerrel
03-29-2009, 11:22 PM
My bet, like others, is that they include as disabled anybody who gets short of breath if they run a shorter length than a normal person. Also, there are plenty of people with "disabilities" that you would never know on the outside. Take kidney failure (which my mother had), other than reduced energy and a little weakness, with treatment, and otherwise good health, you could barely guess someone had the disease, yet they are considered "disabled." I'd prefer using other terms for anyone who isn't truly disabled from carrying out basic function. People who truly can't walk, or are mentally incapable are the ones who are "disabled," not people who can carry on everyday functions without assistance but who might have difficulty in harder tasks.

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I started the thread. I know many people with asthma, or creaky knees, or "ADD" but I wouldn't consider any of those people truly "disabled". My friend who was shot in Iraq and can't walk without a cane - that's disabled. To put the rest in that category is a sham.

jrich4rpaul
03-30-2009, 06:20 AM
The definition of disabled is so broad these days it's ridiculous. 1 out of 5 Americans are disabled, 2 out of 3 of those are just lazy and found a way to cheat the system.

It's god damn disrespectful that they are out there sitting on their couches getting fat with disability money robbing the benefits from people who really need it.

Crowish
03-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Try being actually disabled and attempting to file a claim on your private long term disability insurance. Fucking ERISA.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/GetsAnswers/story?id=6689847&page=1

Freedom 4 all
03-30-2009, 08:40 AM
But I think depression and alzheimers and other mental health issues is the general answer to your thread :p

I'm a Psych major and I can practically guarantee you that you and 90% of the people you know are technically "mentally disabled" if you go by the retarded standards of the DSM-IV. It's practically impossible to score normal because the book was produced by people who want to sell more drugs.

Truth Warrior
03-30-2009, 08:51 AM
" 'Normal' is the average insanity of the mass." -- R. D. Laing

Johnnybags
03-30-2009, 08:57 AM
quickest way to Florida retirment.

The NY Time has a huge, front page article on the curious "disability epidemic among" Long Island Rail Road retirees. In a nutshell, the article points out how many LIRR employees apply for disability after retiring...and they end up getting those federal payments. Back in 2004, 97% of employees who retired after the age of 50, applied for and received disability.