PDA

View Full Version : Donate for a better server

Jared Callanan
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Can we set up some type of donations so that we can upgrade the server at ronpaulforums.com from the current recycled toilet that we are using?

mdh
09-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Can we set up some type of donations so that we can upgrade the server at ronpaulforums.com from the current recycled toilet that we are using?

Woah, you don't have to be so harsh.

Thor
09-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I agree with him. Not harsh at all. EVERY time a debate happens, this thing hits the crapper....

Jared Callanan
09-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I am not trying to be hard but lets be honest this server crashes every single time a big event takes place. Lets throw together a couple bucks and get a half decent server.

njandrewg
09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
the problem is that this is currently on a shared hosting. It works great...until you have a peak...then you hit the limit..and bam the website goes down.

ctb619
09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree....we need a server update....I'll donate if needed

Bryan
09-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I think we need more of a talented, experienced admin who can best tune the software to the hardware rather than just throwing massive HW at it. Not that more hardware would hurt. :)

I've got my finger on the reset button. :D

Jared Callanan
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't think it would be difficult to raise enough cash to upgrade. A lot of people rely on this website for their Ron Paul news so we need to keep it online 24/7 especially come primary and caucus season where a reliable forum will be essential.

Bryan
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
the problem is that this is currently on a shared hosting. It works great...until you have a peak...then you hit the limit..and bam the website goes down.
This is on a dedicated server...

billm317
09-17-2007, 06:05 PM

He's not being harsh. He's dead on correct. People have suggested a hundred times to donate for a better server. For some reason, it gets ignored every time.

Delaware
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
True, I cant stand how often this crashes. Come election day, this site is going to be down 24/7

billm317
09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Why does the admin continue to ignore the requests for help with a better server?

mdh
09-17-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm going to PM with Bryan some and see if we can fix some issues. More hardware doesn't necessarily fix a problem if it's not a problem of hardware insufficiency. Please understand that.

RonPaulGetsIt
09-17-2007, 06:32 PM
they have been offered free advice by a poster here with his own forum with 10000+ members. How is this not fixed? This is unacceptable. We need a place to go that we can count on.

mdh
09-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, listen... give me a chance to help get things here running more smoothly, if Josh wishes, before you go running off elsewhere. For those who don't know me, I'm an experience professional systems engineer. If I can't make it work right, nobody can. :p

This is the best Ron Paul forum on the web, imho, and losing it or losing the base here would be a terrible thing for our community.

billm317
09-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm going to PM with Bryan some and see if we can fix some issues. More hardware doesn't necessarily fix a problem if it's not a problem of hardware insufficiency. Please understand that.

I manage servers. I do understand it. I'd be curious to know what kind of hardware slice this forum gets. Any idea?

mdh
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I manage servers. I do understand it. I'd be curious to know what kind of hardware slice this forum gets. Any idea?

It's generally difficult to slice up hardware unless you're using some virtualization technology. I sincerely doubt that to be the case here, if it is indeed a dedicated server which Josh is subscribed for.

You can do some funky vhost stuff in apache with various mods, but that's by and large the extent of it.

billm317
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
It's generally difficult to slice up hardware unless you're using some virtualization technology. I sincerely doubt that to be the case here, if it is indeed a dedicated server which Josh is subscribed for.

You can do some funky vhost stuff in apache with various mods, but that's by and large the extent of it.

wow... this thing is on a dedicated server?
what are the specs?

mdh
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
wow... this thing is on a dedicated server?
what are the specs?

I've looked at what happens when the forum goes down. I seriously doubt that this is a hardware issue, so the specs likely don't matter. I'll spare yall the brutally technical details, but the connection isn't even being accepted by the kernel at all, which would be really an unlikely scenario if it were just a matter of the cpu being hammered, etc. With the way modern kernels give threads access to run, it's just not likely. With the way most database backends work nowadays, it's unlikely that it's I/O bound either. It could be network bound, but the drastic change in performance between working and not working leads me to believe that not to be the case - we'd see a lot more just brutal lag before and after total outage. It could be memory, but that's unlikely too because php has certain limits in php.ini regarding memory usurpation. It'd take a LOT to exhaust a modern system's memory and swap space.

billm317
09-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I've looked at what happens when the forum goes down. I seriously doubt that this is a hardware issue, so the specs likely don't matter. I'll spare yall the brutally technical details, but the connection isn't even being accepted by the kernel at all, which would be really an unlikely scenario if it were just a matter of the cpu being hammered, etc. With the way modern kernels give threads access to run, it's just not likely. With the way most database backends work nowadays, it's unlikely that it's I/O bound either. It could be network bound, but the drastic change in performance between working and not working leads me to believe that not to be the case - we'd see a lot more just brutal lag before and after total outage. It could be memory, but that's unlikely too because php has certain limits in php.ini regarding memory usurpation. It'd take a LOT to exhaust a modern system's memory and swap space.

Thank you for taking the time to type up that explanation :)
If some extra eyes would help, I'd be glad to help with anything needed. I have experience with a few sites that get a ton of hits (on FreeBSD, Linux and Windows).

mdh
09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Thank you for taking the time to type up that explanation :)
If some extra eyes would help, I'd be glad to help with anything needed. I have experience with a few sites that get a ton of hits (on FreeBSD, Linux and Windows).

Heheh... I dunno jack about windows personally. I'm sitting at a FreeBSD box now, and Sun and Slackware Linux boxes here in my apartment too... my servers out on the net are both Slackware too. Mostly Sun stuff where I tend to work.
I do more security and architecture/engineering stuff now, but I was a sysadmin for many many many years.

Thor
09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Spec's, connections, bandwidth, excuses, who gives a rats ass... this is an ongoing problem and it is pathetic....

It is frustrating when anything real happens, this forum craps out. It should have been fixed after the second issue. This is like the 4th or 5th time... no excuses...

billm317
09-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Heheh... I dunno jack about windows personally. I'm sitting at a FreeBSD box now, and Sun and Slackware Linux boxes here in my apartment too... my servers out on the net are both Slackware too. Mostly Sun stuff where I tend to work.
I do more security and architecture/engineering stuff now, but I was a sysadmin for many many many years.

Yeah, I try to use something other than Windows, unless where I have no choice. But anyway, PM me if some extra eyes would be beneficial. I'm not saying I know more than any particular person, I just know extra eyes is usually helpful :)