PDA

View Full Version : Outreach: "We are our own special interest"

RCA
03-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I've been struggling lately over which "group" would be best to continue the Ron Paul Revolution. Of course I've considered CFL, but at times they seem more blog-ish than directional. Then I've been pondering becoming a "liberty elephant" by helping out with RLC events but sometimes they seem too partisan.

I just came to a conclusion that I should have already known. I am my own special interest. Groups help to keep you informed, but when I go to sleep at night it's what can I do today to get the government I want. This sounds painfully obvious, but each of us can make phone calls, write letters, send faxes without having to follow any "formal structure" put in place by any of the peripheral organizations.

The most that I've gotten out of these groups are education. Some direction, but mainly education. Nobody is going to give you direction and structure better than yourself. What's easier, canvassing your apartment complex by yourself or trying to round up 10 people from "activist organization X" to go canvass with you? Of course taking action into your own hands usually yields the best results.

It is my belief that Ron Paul's success during the campaign was due to all of us spontaneously coming up with ideas on our own and DOING THEM, whether it be putting up websites, slapping slim-jims on car windshields when going to the supermarket, inserting business cards on gas pumps, etc.

Sure, there was a lot of activity with the Meetup Groups, but with all organizations there is bloat and inefficiency. Does anyone share a similar opinion about a force of individuals acting on their own vs. a local/national body issuing directives?

FrankRep
03-29-2009, 01:41 AM
The groups I support:

The John Birch Society (http://www.jbs.org/)

Campaign for Liberty (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/)

The important thing is to get involved in a local group.

mediahasyou
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Congratulations in waking up in that respect. :)

The first rule of Freedom Force: Don't wait for others. http://www.freedom-force.org/freedom.cfm?fuseaction=membership

RCA
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Congratulations in waking up in that respect. :)

The first rule of Freedom Force: Don't wait for others. http://www.freedom-force.org/freedom.cfm?fuseaction=membership

Wow, that's a great first rule. Thanks for sharing that!

Arklatex
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Lets pick a day where everyone goes outside and fires off a few rounds at the same time - into the sky ofcourse.

RCA
03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Lets pick a day where everyone goes outside and fires off a few rounds at the same time - into the sky ofcourse.

Sounds great, but can't falling bullets kill?

reduen
03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Sounds great, but can't falling bullets kill?

According to mythbusters they can't.

RSLudlum
03-29-2009, 09:10 PM

Is April 18th or 19th good for you? ;)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=185914&highlight=appleseed

hotbrownsauce
03-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I've been struggling lately over which "group" would be best to continue the Ron Paul Revolution. Of course I've considered CFL, but at times they seem more blog-ish than directional. Then I've been pondering becoming a "liberty elephant" by helping out with RLC events but sometimes they seem too partisan.

I just came to a conclusion that I should have already known. I am my own special interest. Groups help to keep you informed, but when I go to sleep at night it's what can I do today to get the government I want. This sounds painfully obvious, but each of us can make phone calls, write letters, send faxes without having to follow any "formal structure" put in place by any of the peripheral organizations.

The most that I've gotten out of these groups are education. Some direction, but mainly education. Nobody is going to give you direction and structure better than yourself. What's easier, canvassing your apartment complex by yourself or trying to round up 10 people from "activist organization X" to go canvass with you? Of course taking action into your own hands usually yields the best results.

It is my belief that Ron Paul's success during the campaign was due to all of us spontaneously coming up with ideas on our own and DOING THEM, whether it be putting up websites, slapping slim-jims on car windshields when going to the supermarket, inserting business cards on gas pumps, etc.

Sure, there was a lot of activity with the Meetup Groups, but with all organizations there is bloat and inefficiency. Does anyone share a similar opinion about a force of individuals acting on their own vs. a local/national body issuing directives?

I went to the St. Louis regional conference.... I've got 6 words for you. "Go to the next regional conference."

RCA
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I went to the St. Louis regional conference.... I've got 6 words for you. "Go to the next regional conference."

Actually, I think the next one is going to be where I live, Jacksonville, FL. If that is true, I'll be there!