PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate AIG because their executives got bonuses?

Catatonic
03-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Obama that wrote the executive order allowing these bonuses, and Dodd that added the sections specifically granting bonus packages into the stimulus bill.

But on every forum I go to with a thread about AIG, people are raging at AIG for this? What the hell? If the government sent me 10 million dollars I wouldn't say no and neither would anyone else.

Its getting rather ridiculous out there folks.

UnReconstructed
03-27-2009, 06:18 PM
They are mad at AIG because the government controlled media has told them to be. This is the alternative to the sheep being mad at the government for giving public money to private business.

Uriel999
03-27-2009, 06:20 PM
They are mad at AIG because the government controlled media has told them to be. This is the alternative to the sheep being mad at the government for giving public money to private business.

this

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 06:23 PM
AIG's excesses were made possible by the implicit backing of the Federal Reserve. Otherwise, investors would have smoked out these credit default swaps ages ago.

Same thing with Bernie Madoff. Do you seriously think he could have pulled off his $50 billion scam if the SEC hadn't constantly been giving him their stamp of approval as being legitimate??

angelatc
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
http://sweetness-light.com/archive/cloward-piven-acorn-and-aig-protests

ACORN is behind the protests.

fedup100
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
People are so confused by the media whores they do not understand the problem. They know there is a problem, they know it is bad but they cannot get a correct fix on the appropriate target. The media hopes they don't.

They must release some of their pent up anxiety and as they do, I am sorry to say, they will finally get the big picture and quiet possibly the real culprits may get caught up in the the people's blades. If they do, you will see these gangsters hanging from street lamps.

The AIG's boys do deserve america's angst though. That is your money they are living the good life on. Just remember these big bonuses were paid for them doing such a bang up job of destroying the country. DUH! :eek:

angelatc
03-27-2009, 06:33 PM
The AIG's boys do deserve america's angst though. That is your money they are living the good life on. Just remember these big bonuses were paid for them doing such a bang up job of destroying the country. DUH! :eek:

THe people who got the money had nothing to do with the division that crashed the firm. They were people who agreed not to leave while the firm struggles along and tries to survive.

And I don't care that they got it. I am pissed at the people that gave it to them.

Zuras
03-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Who to blame?
1. Anyone who voted for a dumbocrat(most of the morons protesting)
2. Any member of congress who didn't bother to read something before they voted for it
3. The Obama administration for actually pressuring Dodd to add it.
4. Dodd for being a useful idiot.

Put morons in power and you empower morons. These ACORN morons wouldn't dare protest the dumbocrat filled congress and dumbocrat administration who are responsible for this however.

silverhawks
03-27-2009, 06:42 PM
The fact of the matter is, AIG is a sacrificial lamb. More than likely the White House got a poll showing massive public anger building towards the government, and decided to toss AIG execs under the bus.

Though I think people generally realise this was media manipulation; I've had many conversations recently with people who all say something along the lines of "well, they wouldn't have got the bonuses if it wasn't for the &$%*&$ government bailing them out in the first place!"

surf
03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
i think people are angry at the execs for having contracts (probably written by themselves) that would call for a bonus based on the way they performed and "retention"? that pisses me off because i know i could do a better job than any of those execs did.

you're right, it (anger) is slightly misplaced, but it has some legitimacy to it.

i remember when limiting executive compensation was discussed as a "red hearing" attached to the original TARP bill to distract attention from the vast powers it granted Hank Paulson....

Zuras
03-27-2009, 06:56 PM
i think people are angry at the execs for having contracts (probably written by themselves) that would call for a bonus based on the way they performed and "retention"? that pisses me off because i know i could do a better job than any of those execs did.

you're right, it (anger) is slightly misplaced, but it has some legitimacy to it.

i remember when limiting executive compensation was discussed as a "red hearing" attached to the original TARP bill to distract attention from the vast powers it granted Hank Paulson....

Slightly misplaced? SLightly hyperbole? The majority of the people at AIG were doing a good job. It was only one department that ruined the entire company by playing russian roulette with their financials.

kpitcher
03-27-2009, 07:43 PM
The AIG bonuses are just the easiest target that people can grasp in a 30 second soundbite.

I agree with this comic, they should portray the amounts better so people can be rightfully indigent about the entire AIG bailout and not just the bonuses.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/1000_times.png
http://www.xkcd.com/558/

GBurr
03-27-2009, 09:57 PM
"Time" published an article with pictures of protesters with signs calling AIG thieves. I was rolling on the floor laughing. Government gives away billions of our dollars and the ones who accept it are the thieves. These people need to look no further than their congressmen and senators.