PDA

View Full Version : Recommend one book

Virginia Libertarian
03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Recently I have gotten my father (a lifetime new dealer, Hillary supporter) to look into libertarianism. He has stressed some interest in Ron Paul and it seems like it has started to seriously change his ideology. He used to absolutely hate the GOP, but now he says he hates the Republican Party except for Ron Paul. Every time we talk he asks my opinions on economic issues and such, and I think he is really started to turn towards liberty (something I never expected).

Anyways, his birthday is in a few weeks, and I want to buy him a book that encompasses libertarian ideas well and I want some recommendations.

I was originally thinking Tom Woods new book, Meltdown, but I'm starting to think that it focuses too much on the current crises and instead I want something that is much more broad.

I'm now leaning towards Hazlitt's Economics in one lesson.

What do you all think?

trey4sports
03-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Recently I have gotten my father (a lifetime new dealer, Hillary supporter) to look into libertarianism. He has stressed some interest in Ron Paul and it seems like it has started to seriously change his ideology. He used to absolutely hate the GOP, but now he says he hates the Republican Party except for Ron Paul. Every time we talk he asks my opinions on economic issues and such, and I think he is really started to turn towards liberty (something I never expected).

Anyways, his birthday is in a few weeks, and I want to buy him a book that encompasses libertarian ideas well and I want some recommendations.

I was originally thinking Tom Woods new book, Meltdown, but I'm starting to think that it focuses too much on the current crises and instead I want something that is much more broad.

I'm now leaning towards Hazlitt's Economics in one lesson.

What do you all think?

thats a highly looked upon book, it really depends what issues your trying to stress.

i just finsished The Revolution: A Manifesto and its great. its broad enough to touch all issues but specific enough to dig deeper than a soundbite. i reccommend it for an overall summary of Libertarianism.

Original_Intent
03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
It totally depends on your father, my favorite all time book of political truthiness is "The Law" by Frederic Bastiat - but it is available for free reading online, and is not exactly light reading.

bossman068410
03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Meltdown by Thomas Woods.

Once you understand the Mechanics behind evil you puke at the thought of Neocon-Dem movement.

or

Jekyll Island

Original_Intent
03-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I thought about Jekyll Island as well. Someone posted yesterday that it is being sold by someone and they give you an ounce of silver with the purchase - that would be a cool gift!

Rael
03-27-2009, 01:29 PM
For a new liberty: The libertarian manifesto by Murray Rothbard

LATruth
03-27-2009, 01:33 PM
"The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder"

by Vincent Bugliosi

Xenophage
03-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Are you thinking fiction or non-fiction?

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 01:35 PM
"What It Means to Be a Libertarian" by Charles Murray is short and concise.

RCA
03-27-2009, 01:38 PM
The Great Libertarian Offer by Harry Browne.

Elwar
03-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Roxi
03-27-2009, 01:44 PM
in addition to any of these listed you should also get him "Unlimited Access - an FBI agent inside the Clinton Whitehouse" By Gary Aldrich

Roxi
03-27-2009, 01:48 PM
thats a highly looked upon book, it really depends what issues your trying to stress.

i just finsished The Revolution: A Manifesto and its great. its broad enough to touch all issues but specific enough to dig deeper than a soundbite. i reccommend it for an overall summary of Libertarianism.

I am almost in the middle of it (because im reading 3 other books at the same time) and this is the best recommendation I can see on here :)

Kraig
03-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Atlas Shrugged

+1