PDA

View Full Version : The Invisible Hand Is a Gentle Hand

Truth Warrior
03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
The Invisible Hand Is a Gentle Hand
What would a truly free society look like?
A speech by Sharon Harris

The enemies of freedom have always maligned the free market. They have perpetuated myths like "dog-eat-dog capitalism," "survival of the fittest," "the law of the jungle." Robber barons. Heartless monopolies. A ruthless Wall Street fleecing a helpless Main Street.

Nonsense.

It's time to speak out for the free market and individual liberty.

The great economist Adam Smith wrote that a free society operates as if "an invisible hand" directs people's actions — in such a way as to serve the interest of the whole society.

That invisible hand is a gentle one. A free market is a gentle market. A free society is a gentle society. A cooperative, compassionate, and generous society. An abundant and tolerant society.

David Friedman, in his book The Machinery of Freedom, notes that there are only three ways to get something: (1) by trading, (2) by receiving a gift (from love or friendship), or (3) by force ("do what I want or I'll shoot you"). Honest, peaceful people operate in the first two ways. Criminals and the state operate by force, aggression, coercion.

The gentle invisible hand vs. the visible fist of force.

You want to see dog-eat-dog? Look at the notorious Kelo Supreme Court decision on imminent domain. The government now has the power to seize your home or business and turn it over to other private individuals. You want to see dog-eat-dog? Look at the billions of dollars that are taken from American taxpayers every year and handed over to well-connected corporate interests.
You want to see dog-eat-dog? Look at an IRS audit.
We don’t have a dog-eat-dog business world; we have a dog-eat-dog government.

In truth, the marketplace has a civilizing, humanizing effect. If honesty didn't exist, the marketplace would invent it, because it's the most successful way to do business. In the free market we see, not a survival of the fittest, but a survival of the kindest. Survival of the most cooperative. Survival of the friendliest. A gentle Darwinism, if you will.

In a free society, the most considerate prosper. As Thomas Sowell says, "Politeness and consideration for others is like investing pennies and getting dollars back." A smile has currency.

There are built-in incentives in the marketplace for service, courtesy, respect. The invisible hand becomes a friendly handshake between cooperating adults. As John Stossel pointed out in his ABC special, "Greed," notice how — when you purchase something at a store — the clerk says, "Thank you," and you say "Thank you" as well? It's a mutually beneficial exchange, and both parties are better off.

The gentle invisible hand vs. the visible fist of government.

Rest of the speech. http://www.theadvocates.org/library/gentle-hand.html (http://www.theadvocates.org/library/gentle-hand.html)

heavenlyboy34
03-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks, sensei. Please refer this to every archist you know on RPF (and beyond). They seem to have the extra time on their hands. ;)

tmosley
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
GREAT article. Thanks.

It's like a short, more readable version of John Galt's speech.

hugolp
03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Great article. I would only change one word:

David Friedman, in his book The Machinery of Freedom, notes that there are only three ways to get something: (1) by trading, (2) by receiving a gift (from love or friendship), or (3) by force ("do what I want or I'll shoot you"). Honest, peaceful people operate in the first two ways. Criminals, including the state, operate by force, aggression, coercion.

Mahkato
03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Would be nice to update it a bit with the recent atrocities carried out by the Visible Fist.

Truth Warrior
03-28-2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks, sensei. Please refer this to every archist you know on RPF (and beyond). They seem to have the extra time on their hands. ;) I just post them, they usually read them OR NOT. Usually, NOT. :rolleyes: Whatever! :p

You're welcome, grasshoppa. ;) :)

Truth Warrior
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
GREAT article. Thanks.

It's like a short, more readable version of John Galt's speech. You're welcome. ;) Galt just seemed to go on FOREVER :rolleyes: , I seem to recall!! :) Cut to the chase, Ayn. :D

Truth Warrior
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Great article. I would only change one word:

David Friedman, in his book The Machinery of Freedom, notes that there are only three ways to get something: (1) by trading, (2) by receiving a gift (from love or friendship), or (3) by force ("do what I want or I'll shoot you"). Honest, peaceful people operate in the first two ways. Criminals, including the state, operate by force, aggression, coercion. It seems like criminals covers it, to me. :p

;)

"Taking the State wherever found, striking into its history at any point, one sees no way to differentiate the activities of its founders, administrators, and beneficiaries from those of a professional-criminal class." ~ Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, The State

raystone
04-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Please click for the entire speech. It's worth it.

http://www.theadvocates.org/library/gentle-hand.html

JaylieWoW
04-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Best article I've read today. Being the person I am (and no longer fighting it), I actually cried openly when reading parts of it. Crying for me is my outlet, not out of despair but rather conviction and overwhelming determination. However, I'm certainly not one of those emotional basket cases... its just something I do when something really charges me up!

Ozwest
04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Truth Warrior,

I am impressed how you illustrate the difference between a naturally evolving free-market structure and a over-stretching bureaucracy.

Good Shit.

Cowlesy
10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Great article!