PDA

View Full Version : YouTube Star Summoned To White House?

IPSecure
03-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Posted: March 26, 2009
11:45 pm Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily

The man who created two phenomenally successful "We The People" YouTube videos urging Americans to stand up against Congress and reclaim their republic now – or perhaps lose it forever – reportedly has been summoned to the White House by President Obama to discuss the subject matter of the short films.

Bob Basso, who posts videos under the name funbobbasso on YouTube, has created videos in which he portrays Thomas Paine, author of the "Common Sense" pamphlet that made the case for independence during the American Revolution.

Basso, (http://www.bobbasso.com/contact_us.htm) whose website offers his services as a motivational speaker, uses the YouTube presentations to condemn "non-representing representatives" and warns, "Only when they feel the almighty wrath of 'We The People' marching in the streets from California to New York shouting 'We're mad as hell and we want our country back' will they get the message they work for you."

http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=92999

Johnnybags
03-27-2009, 08:37 AM
for Obama's spending plan or be "persona non grata" number one on the "domestic terror" list.

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow that guy's videos are good! "Your servants have become your masters." So true.

slacker921
03-27-2009, 08:45 AM
I hope he says "no. you come to me bitch", does it in public, and has about 5,000 of his friends there to watch and boo (and cheer).

If it's held in the White House then Obama will control the environment (the audience) and the resulting press. It will not go well.

A. Havnes
03-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I like his videos (although I'm not sure if Congressmen should be limited to two terms), but I'm afraid of what will ensue should he go meet with Obama. I don't know why, but I'm nervous. Will Obama demand that he remove the videos, which would be the first shot fired in true Internet regulation? Will he order him to shut up? Or will he quietly listen to what Basso has to say and then ignore it?

Hmmmm....

tremendoustie
03-27-2009, 09:24 AM
The guy has some pretty awful ideas too, but i guess he probably does more good than harm.

brandon
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Deborah K
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Wow that guy's videos are good! "Your servants have become your masters." So true.

Glenn Beck had him on recently.

ItsTime
03-27-2009, 09:29 AM
He should stay true to his word and tell Obama "You are my servant, you come to me"

MRoCkEd
03-27-2009, 09:31 AM
He should stay true to his word and tell Obama "You are my servant, you come to me"
Something tells me that wouldn't fly

Deborah K
03-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I like his videos (although I'm not sure if Congressmen should be limited to two terms), but I'm afraid of what will ensue should he go meet with Obama. I don't know why, but I'm nervous. Will Obama demand that he remove the videos, which would be the first shot fired in true Internet regulation? Will he order him to shut up? Or will he quietly listen to what Basso has to say and then ignore it?

Hmmmm....

I'm leary of this visit as well. He's been summoned to discuss the "subject matter" of his videos. Doesn't sound good.

reduen
03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Maybe they are getting together to discuss his plan for indentured servitude.. It seems that they both agree on that.

Probably going to get together to discuss how to promote that idea.... (Be aware.)

It is strange, at the same time Obama is trying to promote some kind of reparations for slavery in the past of “his people” he is promoting slavery for all Americans….

Bern
03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
This article seems like a marketing ploy. I can't imagine Obama personally calling up someone to talk about YouTube videos. That's something easily delegated if he really wanted the issue addressed.

zach
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Sketchy.

I don't like it.

Deborah K
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
This article seems like a marketing ploy. I can't imagine Obama personally calling up someone to talk about YouTube videos. That's something easily delegated if he really wanted the issue addressed.

Good point. Hope you're right.

tribute_13
03-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't like how he made Atheists sound un-american. Other than that I love his videos.

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't like how he made Atheists sound un-american. Other than that I love his videos.

I didn't hear that. But it would come close to being a dealbreaker for me.

Then again this guy is pretty old, and older people tend to be religious. I cut Dr Paul slack on those grounds. Plus Dr Paul never disses rational thinkers.

Ninja Homer
03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I wonder if this meeting with Obama will be a black tie event, or a black hood event?

How much you wanna bet he's offered a job (probably an "offer he can't refuse")?

Bern
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Looks like the story has legs:
The former Hawaii news anchor has already logged hundreds of appearances on talk radio and television, appearing on the Glenn Beck show on Fox News as well as other news programs.

“It's been a merry-go-round non-stop,” said Basso.

Basso’s second segment as Thomas Paine, “We the People Stimulus Package”, has proven just as popular as the first. After one week on YouTube the vignette has already recorded over one million views and even attracted the attention of President Barack Obama.

“I've received a call from one of his staff members that he has seen it and would like to talk to me, so we'll see what happens,” said Basso. During the video Basso urges peaceful protest, telling viewers to place a tea bag inside an envelope and mail it to Congress.

After thousands of tea bags began arriving on Capitol Hill, Basso learned the envelopes would be immediately thrown out if an actual tea bag could be seen inside.

Instead, he says protestors should remove the tea bag and mail just the string and paper attached to it.

“Basically (it’s) using the symbol of the Boston Tea Party for taxation without representation.”

Whether Basso gets a face-to-face meeting with the president remains to be seen.

But in a note sent to him from the White House, Obama said he remembers Basso from his childhood days in Hawaii.

“He remembers, at least in the note sent to me that he used to watch me on TV at Channel 2.”

If a meeting with the president does take place, Basso is prepared to deliver a serious message, not as Tomas Paine but as a concerned citizen.

“I would tell him that any president to be successful in America has to govern from the center, not from the far left or the far right and it's time for him to take a look and listen to the will of the majority which has been terribly ignored for too long.”

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/41956927.html

tremendoustie
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM

Then again this guy is pretty old, and older people tend to be religious. I cut Dr Paul slack on those grounds. Plus Dr Paul never disses rational thinkers.

Small point -- try not to imply that relgious=irrational -- thanks :). It seems like it's often generally accepted in pop culture that faith should be irrational, and that's not true at all. Irrationality is never good.

I agree with you though, I also wish that he would not exclude atheists. Although, the support for slavery was the biggest turn off for me.

EndTheFed
03-27-2009, 10:45 AM

As if "religious" people are not rational thinkers.... Ummm I see how rationally you think...

RonPaulVolunteer
03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
They'll be taking him to the reprogramming room and he'll never be the same. First room every new Presidents sees.

RonPaulVolunteer
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Most of the world's most famous philosophers believed in a deity.

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Small point -- try not to imply that relgious=irrational -- thanks :).

Well by definition, religious faith is irrational. There is no valid evidence to support it.

Even religious people admit that their faith is irrational, but they have other spiritual reasons why they believe it.

RonPaulVolunteer
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Well by definition, religious faith is irrational. There is no valid evidence to support it.

Even religious people admit that their faith is irrational, but they have other spiritual reasons why they believe it.

You really ought to do some reading before revealing such ignorance. Even an elementary touching of philosophers and why they believed in deities would help erase some of that ignorance. And it's worth saying, that you of course don't think you're ignorant, but that's not going to stop the more-educated from smirking when they read these sort of comments.

For a baby-steps start, read CS Lewis's Mere Christianity. If you can get through that, there's much chunkier stuff available.

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 11:11 AM
You really ought to do some reading before revealing such ignorance. Even an elementary touching of philosophers and why they believed in deities would help erase some of that ignorance. And it's worth saying, that you of course don't think you're ignorant, but that's not going to stop the more-educated from smirking when they read these sort of comments.

For a baby-steps start, read CS Lewis's Mere Christianity. If you can get through that, there's much chunkier stuff available.

I have some books you should read, my friend. Start with Carl Sagan's "Demon-Haunted World." Or pretty much any science book ever written.

EndTheFed
03-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I have some books you should read, my friend. Start with Carl Sagan's "Demon-Haunted World." Or pretty much any science book ever written.

Try reading at www.reasons.org..

YOU SEEM TO MAKE some pretty irrational statements for some one as rational as you...

:)

EndTheFed
03-27-2009, 11:17 AM

I assume you have "faith" in nothing am i correct?

RonPaulVolunteer
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Sir, I am a student of the sciences, and have studied science all my life, not science fiction. Right now I am developing a gravity fed water filter that will filter out radioactivity in case of a nuclear war. Please don't get me started on science and God :)

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Sir, I am a student of the sciences, and have studied science all my life, not science fiction. Right now I am developing a gravity fed water filter that will filter out radioactivity in case of a nuclear war. Please don't get me started on science and God :)

Well for someone who has studied science all his life, you seem to have little respect for the scientific method or the precept that "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Your religious claims are certainly extraordinary, but your extraordinary evidence (or valid evidence of any kind) is sorely lacking.

Hence your beliefs are irrational.

RonPaulVolunteer
03-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Well for someone who has studied science all his life, you seem to have little respect for the scientific method or the precept that "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Your religious claims are certainly extraordinary, but your extraordinary evidence (or valid evidence of any kind) is sorely lacking.

Hence your beliefs are irrational.

Yet I have made NO religious claims whatsoever... So your statement is both irrational, and discrediting, and provides evidence that we should all just ignore you.

And btw, sensible people ASK for evidence, they don't take the position that there is none and then fire off nothing but ad hominem attacks. If you want you talk the talk, you had better walk the walk, and so far, you irrationally demand rationality. You are a moral contradiction. So I guess you must be an atheist.

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 02:22 PM
RonPaulVolunteer, are you religious?

mediahasyou
03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
The guy has some pretty awful ideas too, but i guess he probably does more good than harm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

Yeah he calls for universal service. What the fuck? The founders would be ashamed of this poser.

TheTyke
03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I agree, need to be careful of this guy. I predict that we're going to see a lot of folks speaking about liberty and the Constitution to get elected, because our movement is gaining ground. But many of these may misdirect us.

Universal service? Ending the electoral college??

RonPaulVolunteer
03-27-2009, 06:49 PM
RonPaulVolunteer, are you religious?

The only possible reason you could want an answer to this is to launch further ad hominem attacks. You really ought to just leave the forums unless you're prepared to seriously grow up. And to answer your question anyway, no, I am not religious.

Reason
03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
You don't have to agree with everything this guy says to know it would be a MASSIVE step up from the politicians we have right now.

Carole
03-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Obama called a mere newspaperman to "clarify" something last week.

jcarcinogen
03-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I never heard of him until this. Dog and pony show?

He Who Pawns
03-27-2009, 07:51 PM
The only possible reason you could want an answer to this is to launch further ad hominem attacks. You really ought to just leave the forums unless you're prepared to seriously grow up. And to answer your question anyway, no, I am not religious.

Sure.

Smoke the Liberty Tree
03-27-2009, 08:07 PM

How about you two agree to disagree. I am not religious and i think that religion can be rational. However no religious person can argue that their is scientific evidence of creationism. And no scientist can fully explain how we came to be either. Their is more evidence in the case of science, but not substantial. Some of the worlds most recognized scientists become religious after they become scientists. It really just depends on the person and you two will never agree on it. So just drop it and save us some space for effective arguments on the subject of the original topic. thank you.

Kludge
03-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Something tells me that wouldn't fly

Haha, I didn't even catch that.

DAFTEK
03-28-2009, 09:30 AM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=92999

MEDIA MATTERS
YouTube star summoned to White House?
Promises radio talk show first interview afterwards
Posted: March 26, 2009
11:45 pm Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily
The man who created two phenomenally successful "We The People" YouTube videos urging Americans to stand up against Congress and reclaim their republic now – or perhaps lose it forever – reportedly has been summoned to the White House by President Obama to discuss the subject matter of the short films.
Bob Basso, who posts videos under the name funbobbasso on YouTube, has created videos in which he portrays Thomas Paine, author of the "Common Sense" pamphlet that made the case for independence during the American Revolution.
Basso, (http://www.bobbasso.com/contact_us.htm) whose website offers his services as a motivational speaker, uses the YouTube presentations to condemn "non-representing representatives" and warns, "Only when they feel the almighty wrath of 'We The People' marching in the streets from California to New York shouting 'We're mad as hell and we want our country back' will they get the message they work for you."
(Story continues below)

He was scheduled this week to appear on the "Jerry Doyle Show" (http://www.jerrydoyle.com/) when he told the radio host that Obama had personally invited him to meet in the White House "to discuss the disturbing nature of the videos."
According to a spokesman for Doyle's show, at the time when Basso was supposed to be calling in for the show, he was unavailable. Basso reached the show several hours later, explaining he had been flooded by media calls and literally was unable to call out.
The result, the spokesman said, was that Basso promised to provide Doyle with the first exclusive interview after he meets with Obama, provided the invitation still stands after the meeting was leaked to the press.
The spokesman said information about the meeting has not been made public, and show producers are waiting to see what develops. A WND message left for Basso was not immediately returned.
The Doyle show reaches about 3 million listeners each week, according to Talkers Magazine, and is the fastest growing show in Talk Radio Network Enterprises' history with more than 240 stations.
In his second video, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA) which has been seen more than 1.1 million times, Basso challenges people to let Congress know their displeasure by sending tea bags.

It is embedded here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA&

He criticizes Congress for approving the "largest spending bill in history without reading it" and criticizes American citizens, because "you did nothing."
He raises the issue of billions of dollars for benefits for illegal aliens, the exportation of U.S. jobs overseas and others.
"If your self-serving Congress were a business they'd all be in jail now," he said.
"Wake up, America. While you were playing with the toys of your consumer wealth, you lost much more than your bloated economy of living beyond your means. You lost your representative democracy. Your servants have become your masters. Taxation without representation is tyranny," he said.
He's equally unhappy with Americans in the first video, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk)

Embedded here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk&

In that piece he warns of the problem of supporting the rest of the world while America needs to be rebuilt.
Referring to "progressives," he said, "We had another word in 1776. We called them traitors."
Basso is the author of the best-selling book "This Job Should Be Fun" along with 10 other books, including "Lighten Up Corporate America!"
A former award winning news director for NBC TV and visiting professor at UCLA, Basso has a Ph.D in communications.
Doyle's distinctive repertoire includes former Wall Street insider, TV star and jet pilot. He has starred in many made-for-TV movies, but is best known as the character Michael Garibaldi on the Emmy winning Sci-fi television series "Babylon 5," which ran for five years.

tribute_13
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
God damn it you fucking assholes. The OP had nothing to do with religion, stop using faith as a reason to divide us. I'm sick of it. Shut your goddamned mouths about it. I made one post and didn't come back to complain about it when someone else didn't agree with me. Its called accepting the right for others to believe whatever the fuck they want. DEAL WITH IT!

DAFTEK
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
God damn it you fucking assholes. The OP had nothing to do with religion, stop using faith as a reason to divide us. I'm sick of it. Shut your goddamned mouths about it. I made one post and didn't come back to complain about it when someone else didn't agree with me. Its called accepting the right for others to believe whatever the fuck they want. DEAL WITH IT!

You OK there guy? :eek::rolleyes:

He Who Pawns
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Wow, who is the divisive one here?

People can believe in rocks, as long as they don't throw them at the rest of us. Trying to use government to impose your religion on others should be opposed by all liberty-minded people -- ie, trying to get a federal ban on abortion. Or trying to say weed or prostitution or gambling should be illegal because the Bible says so. Fuck that. Who do you think is keeping the federal "war on drugs" going? Mainly religious people.

anaconda
03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow! I didn't know about this fellow before! Great acting and nice production. I think he's a little twisted on his Constitution, however. He seems to agree with Obama on mandatory service and he said at one point said "Abolish the electoral college...bring back the presidential election to We The People (???). I like the tea bag in the envelope. Think I might do it. I wonder if Homeland Security will come knocking at my door?

BlackTerrel
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Wow...great video. Very inspirational.

sdczen
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
This guy is a populist stooge. Another great speaker with horrible ideas. Sure, a couple are great ideas; however, some of his ideas would destroy the Republic as it was intended. Such as banning the Electoral College. He even goes so far as to mention "the republic", but abolishing the Electoral College would rush in pure democracy and mob rule. Remember, when the majority can vote on the rights of others it will destroy the individual altogether.

LiveToWin
03-30-2009, 04:01 PM
This guy is a populist stooge. Another great speaker with horrible ideas. Sure, a couple are great ideas; however, some of his ideas would destroy the Republic as it was intended. Such as banning the Electoral College. He even goes so far as to mention "the republic", but abolishing the Electoral College would rush in pure democracy and mob rule. Remember, when the majority can vote on the rights of others it will destroy the individual altogether.

/Facepalm

He Who Pawns
03-30-2009, 04:19 PM

This seems silly to me. If we had direct presidential elections, how would that be any worse than the bizarre electoral college? At least then, these turkeys would have to campaign nationwide, not just in a couple of states thousands of miles from where I live.

sdczen
03-30-2009, 11:11 PM
This seems silly to me. If we had direct presidential elections, how would that be any worse than the bizarre electoral college? At least then, these turkeys would have to campaign nationwide, not just in a couple of states thousands of miles from where I live.

Well you see, this is the difference between a democracy and a republic. A republic is meant to limit the "majority rule". If things were purely democratic, then 50.01% could vote and control the other 49.99%. It's the tyranny of the majority....or Mob rule.

I understand what you mean though. The presidential elections have lost it's meaning. This is of course because the States have lost all rights. The president was never intended to have this much power. Each State was supposed to be an individual entity/state/country that governed by it's own State Constitution, that could only be usurped by the Federal Constitution, giving everyone the bill of rights.

Unfortunately, things have gone awry.

Bman
03-31-2009, 02:45 AM

The flaw in our electoral system is not with the electoral college. It has reason and the reasoning behind it is not wrong as some have previously stated. What is wrong is the system for BALLOT ACCESS.