PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism

fatjohn
03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
How do you think about it.

FrankRep
03-26-2009, 05:23 PM
We need more Patriots and defenders of the Constitution.

What does Patriotism mean to you?

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 05:24 PM
It's good. Our founders were Patriots. Mel Gibson is a Patriot. hehe

Young Paleocon
03-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Define patritotism

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSCRjeApFK0

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Define patritotism

Patriotism is proud of a country’s virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of nationalism, however, trumpets its country’s virtues and denies its deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, “the greatest,” but greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is. — Sydney J. Harris

Young Paleocon
Why aren't more revolutionary war and founding fathers movies made? Oh wait, Hollywood libs hate the principles we were founded on. So silly.

heavenlyboy34
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel". ;)

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 05:29 PM
What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility … a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. — Adlai Stevenson

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 05:32 PM
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel". ;)

I think this more aptly applies to nationalism.

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
"George Orwell wrote that nationalism was one of the worst enemies of peace. He defined nationalism as the feeling that your way of life, country, or ethnic group were superior to others. These types of feelings lead a group to attempt to impose their morality on any given situation. When those standards were not met, more often then not, war would result.

In contrast he stated that patriotism was the feeling of admiration for a way of life etc. and the willingness to defend it against attack. The obvious difference between the two is that while patriotism is a passive attitude, nationalism is aggressive by nature."

MikeStanart
03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
The problem with patriotism is that it can be used to mask evil agendas.

However, if the agenda is upholding the Constitution; then by all means be patriotic.

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 05:42 PM
The problem with patriotism is that it can be used to mask evil agendas.

However, if the agenda is upholding the Constitution; then by all means be patriotic.

Patriotism is not the same thing as nationalism. It is nationalism that can be used to mask evil agendas.

heavenlyboy34
03-26-2009, 05:43 PM
I think this more aptly applies to nationalism.

True that. :cool:

UnReconstructed
03-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Patriotism = Nationalism

Kludge
03-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Ehhh.... Patriotism is generally used to mean nationalism.

As for what Ron Paul describes, it's merely utilitarianism and respect for others, which has doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being American.

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Patriotism = Nationalism

Ridiculous.

na·tion·al·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈnash-nə-ˌli-zəm, ˈna-shə-nə-ˌli-zəm\
Function: noun
Date: 1844
1: loyalty and devotion to a nation ; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups
2: a nationalist movement or government

patriotism

Main Entry: pa·tri·ot·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈpā-trē-ə-ˌti-zəm, chiefly British ˈpa-\
Date: circa 1726
: love for or devotion to one's country

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Ehhh.... Patriotism is generally used to mean nationalism.

As for what Ron Paul describes, it's merely utilitarianism and respect for others, which has doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being American.

Yea....and stereotyping is racism.

UnReconstructed
03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice new avatar Kludge... wtf does it mean? some knock on gay jooz or something?

UnReconstructed
03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Ridiculous.

na·tion·al·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈnash-nə-ˌli-zəm, ˈna-shə-nə-ˌli-zəm\
Date: 1844
1: loyalty and devotion to a nation ; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups
2: a nationalist movement or government

patriotism

Main Entry: pa·tri·ot·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈpā-trē-ə-ˌti-zəm, chiefly British ˈpa-\
Date: circa 1726
: love for or devotion to one's country

exactly what I said

Kludge
03-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Nice new avatar Kludge... wtf does it mean? some knock on gay jooz or something?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Quaker_star.png<-- Quaker star

Modified by someone on the Internet to emphasize the pacifism preached by Friends.

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 07:02 PM
exactly what I said

Are you being ignorant on purpose??? Obviously they have different meanings.

mediahasyou
03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
The original patriots rebelled against the government.

Modern patriotism is blindly following the government.

I prefer paleopatriotism.

ClayTrainor
03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Individualism is the only ism i subscribe to. (that i can think of, off hand) :cool:

Deborah K
03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I ascribe to this definition of patriotism:

Patriotism is proud of a country’s virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of nationalism, however, trumpets its country’s virtues and denies its deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, “the greatest,” but greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is. — Sydney J. Harris

I love my country. I am a Patriot.

UnReconstructed
03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
did someone delete my post?

Truth Warrior
03-27-2009, 03:27 AM
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." -- Edward Abbey

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against it's government." -- TW

;)

jrich4rpaul
03-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Patriotism is fine but it's very very dangerous when confused with jingoism.