PDA

View Full Version : Denied From Duke

tribute_13
03-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Because my Expected Contribution was $0.00

That was the only reason they gave.

mellamojuana
03-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Um, you were denied admission to Duke University? Or am I missing something in your dozen or so words? If I'm not back soon to get your answer, I will be back. Period. TQ

tribute_13
03-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Well my title was "Denied From Duke" I figured that was as straight forward as it gets.

emazur
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
guess you need to change your username to "tribute_$0.00"

Kludge
03-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Maybe you can offer a down payment??? :p

malkusm
03-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Well my title was "Denied From Duke" I figured that was as straight forward as it gets.

Keep your head up man - I applied to 4 grad schools this year. I got rejected from 3 of them.

The other one I haven't heard back from yet.

It's not a reflection on you - most colleges, undergrad and grad, received WAY more applications than usual because of the economy. University of Maryland told me that they usually receive 150 applications to their econ program, and this year they received over 600 :eek:

Plus, I didn't get into Northwestern as an undergrad. It worked out, and I'm glad I ended up where I did. :)

tribute_13
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
guess you need to change your username to "tribute_$0.00"

haha I really should huh

tribute_13
03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Keep your head up man - I applied to 4 grad schools this year. I got rejected from 3 of them.

The other one I haven't heard back from yet.

It's not a reflection on you - most colleges, undergrad and grad, received WAY more applications than usual because of the economy. University of Maryland told me that they usually receive 150 applications to their econ program, and this year they received over 600 :eek:

Plus, I didn't get into Northwestern as an undergrad. It worked out, and I'm glad I ended up where I did. :)

Well I'm thinking about applying to a school that offers a degree for Austrian Economics. I know NYU does.

malkusm
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Well I'm thinking about applying to a school that offers a degree for Austrian Economics. I know NYU does.

That's "the other one that I haven't heard back from yet." :D

0zzy
03-26-2009, 08:58 PM
what's a good Grad school in D.C./L.A? I think if I go to Grad school, it would be somewhere around these areas.

malkusm
03-26-2009, 09:22 PM
what's a good Grad school in D.C./L.A? I think if I go to Grad school, it would be somewhere around these areas.

Depends on what area you're looking at.

If you're looking for a place that's Austrian economics friendly, George Mason is great. It's in Fairfax, VA, and you can take the metro to/from DC.

If you're looking at another area, let me know and I can probably suggest things in DC.

ladyjade3
03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I actually have a rejection letter from Duke too. I keep it on file. :) Welcome to the club.

0zzy
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't think I should even think about graduate school yet, I'm still a freshman :).

At the moment, I am thinking I will be majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Entertainment/Tourism Management and another in Radio-Television-Film. I don't think majoring in political science will do me any good, but I do love politics :).

0zzy
03-28-2009, 02:32 AM
what's the point of graduate school? I was looking at the pricing, it's like 1000$+ per credit HOUR! Do you ever get back that money?

Mesogen
03-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I knew a guy who was denied from Duke because of his accent. Not kidding, or at least that's what he said. In his interview they said that his accent would make him seem uneducated, even though he was an ace student and damned smart. He went to Wake Forest instead and then went on to get a PhD from Vanderbilt.

So if you get denied from Duke, don't sweat it. There are plenty of good schools out there. Duke is just one of them.

FrankRep
03-28-2009, 08:33 PM
College isn't free?

slacker921
03-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Sometimes rejections are a blessing..

and that's all I'd pay to go to Duke too. ;)

0zzy
03-28-2009, 08:41 PM
College isn't free?

Never said it was, but the cost of graduate school is damn expensive and I'm just wondering what the return on investment is.

malkusm
03-28-2009, 08:49 PM
what's the point of graduate school? I was looking at the pricing, it's like 1000$+ per credit HOUR! Do you ever get back that money?

Again, depends on what you're getting your degree in. Personally, if I take a job now with a B.S. in Statistics (which I probably will), I'll have a salary around $45k/year.

If I spend 4-5 years getting a PhD. in Economics, I'm easily looking at more than $100k/year to start, and around $250k/year after a few years.

If you're looking at getting a PhD in English or something like that, I doubt the upside potential is that high :o

malkusm
03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I actually have a rejection letter from Duke too. I keep it on file. :) Welcome to the club.

Smart - I should have kept my rejection letters. Oh well...

FrankRep
03-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Never said it was, but the cost of graduate school is damn expensive and I'm just wondering what the return on investment is.

I'm still paying off my college loans. :(

0zzy
03-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Again, depends on what you're getting your degree in. Personally, if I take a job now with a B.S. in Statistics (which I probably will), I'll have a salary around $45k/year.

If I spend 4-5 years getting a PhD. in Economics, I'm easily looking at more than $100k/year to start, and around $250k/year after a few years.

If you're looking at getting a PhD in English or something like that, I doubt the upside potential is that high :o

Getting an MBA might do me good.
Unless I realize I want to get into films more than the business side of things, then I'd get an MFA.

I'm pretty sure politics and history and stuff are things I can learn on my own without spending an insane amount of money. I like media and business so I need to somehow combine the two.

angelatc
03-29-2009, 11:07 AM
If anybody has the mad skilz to be a psychiatrist....you can pretty much write your own ticket. Of course, Obama's gonna fix that industry for us.

apropos
03-30-2009, 06:29 AM
I knew a guy who was denied from Duke because of his accent. Not kidding, or at least that's what he said. In his interview they said that his accent would make him seem uneducated, even though he was an ace student and damned smart.

He wasn't applying for business school, was he? I have heard more than one MBA (and Ed. graduate student, for that matter) originally from the South say that their accent was filed down to resemble a Midwestern accent because a Southern accent sounds uneducated. There are even classes in the curriculum meant for this purpose - often traveling under the banner of "public speaking".

tribute_13
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Well I got a letter today from NCCU, a school I never even knew existed, telling me they are offering me a certain application only offered to certain applicable students that doesn't require an essay and gives me first admission notification priority as well as no app fee and consideration for top scholarships.

ladyjade3
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Well I got a letter today from NCCU, a school I never even knew existed, telling me they are offering me a certain application only offered to certain applicable students that doesn't require an essay and gives me first admission notification priority as well as no app fee and consideration for top scholarships.

NC Central? That's in downtown Durham. They have a pretty decent law school I hear... Mostly black students, so you would add to their diversity. :)

The_Orlonater
03-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I do love politics :).

You shouldn't; view it as a survival game.