PDA

View Full Version : Bachmann bill would ban global currency

RonPaulVolunteer
03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
From: http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/03/26/bachmann-bill-would-ban-global-currency/

Bachmann bill would ban global currency
@ 1:31 pm by Eric Zimmermann
Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) has introduced legislation that would "bar the dollar from being replace by any foreign currency." A statement from Bachmann's website:

“Yesterday, during a Financial Services Committee hearing, I asked Secretary Geithner if he would denounce efforts to move towards a global currency and he answered unequivocally that he would," said Bachmann. "And President Obama gave the nation the same assurances. But just a day later, Secretary Geithner has left the option on the table. I want to know which it is. The American people deserve to know."

On Monday, Geithner and Bernanke both rejected the idea of a global currency in Congressional testimony. But in remarks to the Council on Foreign Relations yesterday, Geithner indicated he was open to the idea.

Pennsylvania
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
I'd hit it

StudentForPaul08
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Dayum.

haaaylee
03-26-2009, 12:23 PM
well, what's the bill called?

bossman068410
03-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Let's think about it.

Does that also mean it will further restrict other sound currency like a currency based on gold or silver.

This could be a

PROBLEM

not a solution

Bruno
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Let's think about it.

Does that also mean it will further restrict other sound currency like a currency based on gold or silver.

This could be a

PROBLEM

not a solution

It said "foreign currency" in the Bill.

The One
03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Me likey.

bossman068410
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM

If it got the Mesis stamp of approval then YES
I would support it.

A. Havnes
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I say we encourage everyone to support this.

homah
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d111:1:./temp/~bdEs1j::|/bss/111search.html|

29 co-sponsors!

----------

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. J. RES. 41

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to prohibit the President from entering into a treaty or other international agreement that would provide for the United States to adopt as legal tender in the United States a currency issued by an entity other than the United States.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 25, 2009

Mrs. BACHMANN (for herself, Mr. HENSARLING, Mr. PRICE of Georgia, Mr. SHADEGG, Mr. KIRK, Ms. FOXX, Mr. PITTS, Mr. BARTLETT, Mr. MCCLINTOCK, Mr. GINGREY of Georgia, Mr. WAMP, Ms. FALLIN, Mr. FLEMING, Mrs. BLACKBURN, Mr. BROUN of Georgia, Mr. AKIN, Mr. ISSA, Mr. KING of Iowa, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. GOHMERT, Mr. THOMPSON of Pennsylvania, Mr. LAMBORN, Mr. PAUL, Mr. CULBERSON, Mrs. BIGGERT, Mr. BROWN of South Carolina, Mr. JONES, Mr. POSEY, Mr. ROE of Tennessee, and Mr. CONAWAY) introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

JOINT RESOLUTION

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to prohibit the President from entering into a treaty or other international agreement that would provide for the United States to adopt as legal tender in the United States a currency issued by an entity other than the United States.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

`Article--

`The President may not enter into a treaty or other international agreement that would provide for the United States to adopt as legal tender in the United States a currency issued by an entity other than the United States.'.

FrankRep
03-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Congresswoman Bachmann introduces bill to ban a Global Currency

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=185811

BarryDonegan
03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Let's think about it.

This could be a

PROBLEM

not a solution

yeah, lets slow down here before we jump all over this...... i don't want some fiat global currency, but, i also don't want to some day be forced into a bad currency because none are legal... our goal should be competing currencies, but the political reality might mean a gold standard is the only thing that could gain political capital.... this is tough, we should ask this question of our most trusted legislator.

RonPaulVolunteer
03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
yeah, lets slow down here before we jump all over this...... i don't want some fiat global currency, but, i also don't want to some day be forced into a bad currency because none are legal... our goal should be competing currencies, but the political reality might mean a gold standard is the only thing that could gain political capital.... this is tough, we should ask this question of our most trusted legislator.

What we need is states going back to gold and silver. Several are.

Bodhi
03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
I like this part:

"Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to prohibit the President from entering into a treaty or other international agreement that would provide for the United States to adopt as legal tender in the United States a currency issued by an entity other than the United States."

I know it is not the intention, but wouldn't that pretty much end the FED. The FED is "an entity other than the United States", and a really nasty entity at that.

Epic
03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I think there is some conflation of global currency and international reserve currency.

Geithner is opposed to first one, open to second one.

At any rate, fiat money sucks.

puppetmaster
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Isn't or currency foreign. It is from a foreign corp right

idiom
03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Don't ban the Gold! Gold is currently the "Global Reserve Currency".

goldenequity
03-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I like this part:

"Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to prohibit the President from entering into a treaty or other international agreement that would provide for the United States to adopt as legal tender in the United States a currency issued by an entity other than the United States."

I know it is not the intention, but wouldn't that pretty much end the FED. The FED is "an entity other than the United States", and a really nasty entity at that.

Wouldn't this Constitutional Amendment take 2/3 of both houses??
A big undertaking I would say.... but I'm all for it (depending on what it looks like by the time it GETS there.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-26-2009, 02:51 PM
A bill that likely around 85%+ of Americans would support but will never pass due to the out-of-touch globalist democrats in power.

Join The Paul Side
03-26-2009, 03:50 PM

The wording is fine. Anything other than the Dollar could be considered Foreign, including a Global currency. The term Foreign should even cover the Amero. :)

Bruno
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Has the Good Doctor weighed in on yet?

Rangeley
03-26-2009, 03:57 PM
I think hes signed on as a cosponsor, isnt he?

Bruno
03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I think hes signed on as a cosponsor, isnt he?

You are correct. I didn't see him on the list previously.