PDA

View Full Version : Draft John Hostettler to take on Evan Bayh for Senate

erowe1
03-26-2009, 12:06 PM
What do you guys think about Hostettler?

If you're not familiar with him, check him out.

Our draft campaign has a website and a Facebook group. Here are the links:
http://www.hostettler2010.com
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55158541316

Imperial
03-29-2009, 06:16 PM
bump. I like your efforts at this on facebook. Have you spoken at all to Hostletter? Also, do you know what party he would run in?

Jordan
03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
This would be excellent. I'm in his district and he's been rather quiet about politics ever since worthless ol Brad Ellsworth decided that sheriff wasn't good enough.

He's got my vote, my support and my canvassing time.

erowe1
04-01-2009, 12:02 PM
bump. I like your efforts at this on facebook. Have you spoken at all to Hostletter? Also, do you know what party he would run in?

The idea is that he'd run as a Republican.

I have exchanged messages with him. I won't divulge things that he hasn't said publicly. But I will share my general impression, which is that on the one hand we have no guarantee of anything, and on the other hand we're not wasting our time, and if we send a loud enough message with enough supporters who are serious enough about their desire to see the Constitution taken seriously by our government, then it's a message he would take seriously.

erowe1
05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
For those still on the fence, check out the text of a speech he gave at one of the tea parties this year here:
http://www.publiusforum.net/issues.htm#remarks

Key paragraph:

And so when I say that we need a renewing of our minds, I mean we must contemplate a society where April 15th is no different than January 15th or February 15th or April 16th for that matter. Some of us may be here under the false impression that the goal is lower income taxes. My friends the goal is NO income taxes. Do you honestly believe that history began on February 3, 1913 with the ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment? For those of you who are familiar with the various theories of origins, I'm what you might call a believer in a "Young Earth." But I guarantee you that the Earth is not that young! If our political ancestry won its freedom from direct taxation once, surely we can win it back. And this time we can do it without firing a shot. But we'll never do it if we think we can't. When it comes down to it, the biggest difference between this generation of space travel, satellite television and the internet and the generation of Madison, Hamilton, Washington, and Jefferson is that we dream too small. Scripture informs us that without a vision the people perish. It is time that we regained the vision of the framers of the constitution and demand that our elected leaders honor their oath to abide by and operate within the narrow confines of that great charter.

Gage
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
As a forum member living in Indiana, and a member living in the same district that Hostettler was defeated in by Ellsworth in 2006, I would fully support a Hostettler run for the senate. Unfortunately though, Bayh is a powerhouse here in Indiana. To say that Hostettler even has a remote chance of beating a former popular governor, and a current incumbent is a huge stretch. Maybe if Lugar decides not to run in either 2012 or 2016, he could take over his seat.

Bradley in DC
05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
As a forum member living in Indiana, and a member living in the same district that Hostettler was defeated in by Ellsworth in 2006, I would fully support a Hostettler run for the senate. Unfortunately though, Bayh is a powerhouse here in Indiana. To say that Hostettler even has a remote chance of beating a former popular governor, and a current incumbent is a huge stretch. Maybe if Lugar decides not to run in either 2012 or 2016, he could take over his seat.

Hostettler was by far one of the better Congressmen.

Don't forget that Dan Quayle took out Papa Bayh! (the son is much better than the father was though)

Njon
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
http://www.issues2000.org/IN/John_Hostettler.htm indicates that he is in favor of the Patriot Act and warrantless surveillance. Is that the case?

erowe1
05-06-2009, 08:01 AM
http://www.issues2000.org/IN/John_Hostettler.htm indicates that he is in favor of the Patriot Act and warrantless surveillance. Is that the case?

Yes. He did vote for the Patriot Act. To me that is the biggest mark against him. And I understand why for some people it's too much of a blemish to accept. To me, when it's kept in context of every other vote he cast, it's not a deal breaker.

He voted against Bush's prescription drug entitlement, against No Child Left Behind, against aid for Katrina, against the Iraq War. And after leaving office he has continued to speak and write against the war. He wrote a book expressing his views, called Nothing for the Nation. And he spoke at CPAC this year in the forum on What is a Conservative Foreign Policy, where he defended non-interventionism.

As it is now, there are a mere 17 congressman and 0 senators who voted against all 5 bailouts of 2008-2009. If Hostettler were still in congress that would be 18, if he were a senator he'd be the only one to have voted against them all. Imagine how much smaller and less expensive government would be if every legislator voted the way he did.

As far as the Patriot Act, I definitely would like to hear him address it and see if he has changed his views on it at all and how he defends it if not. Hopefully, if this draft campaign gets going we'll get a chance to hear him do that.

Imperial
05-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Patriot Act or not, he actually examines the issues. He isn't just a political stooge.

Austin
05-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Foreign Policy: The Iraq War must end as quickly as possible with removal of all our soldiers from the region. We must initiate the return of our soldiers from around the world, including Korea, Japan, Europe and the entire Middle East. We must cease the war propaganda, threats of a blockade and plans for attacks on Iran, nor should we re-ignite the cold war with Russia over Georgia. We must be willing to talk to all countries and offer friendship and trade and travel to all who are willing. We must take off the table the threat of a nuclear first strike against all nations.

Privacy: We must protect the privacy and civil liberties of all persons under US jurisdiction. We must repeal or radically change the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act, and the FISA legislation. We must reject the notion and practice of torture, eliminations of habeas corpus, secret tribunals, and secret prisons. We must deny immunity for corporations that spy willingly on the people for the benefit of the government. We must reject the unitary presidency, the illegal use of signing statements and excessive use of executive orders.

The National Debt: We believe that there should be no increase in the national debt. The burden of debt placed on the next generation is unjust and already threatening our economy and the value of our dollar. We must pay our bills as we go along and not unfairly place this burden on a future generation.

The Federal Reserve: We seek a thorough investigation, evaluation and audit of the Federal Reserve System and its cozy relationships with the banking, corporate, and other financial institutions. The arbitrary power to create money and credit out of thin air behind closed doors for the benefit of commercial interests must be ended. There should be no taxpayer bailouts of corporations and no corporate subsidies. Corporations should be aggressively prosecuted for their crimes and frauds.

If he can agree with those four points, I will be happy to volunteer for him.

PaleoPaul
05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Despite being pro-PA and being a social conservative, I can support John H.