PDA

View Full Version : Gay Bashing at a Sports Bar: What Do You Do?

Reason
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Gay Bashing at a Sports Bar: What Do You Do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD97D6OEV80

Personally I would be the first person to stand up for their freedom to act like any other straight couple might act in their situation.

MrRichardson
03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
homosexuality is an arbitration of nature and while I don't think it's an issue that the government should get involved with, it is still an issue which I am personally opposed to.

ravedown
03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
boycott any shitty bar that allows blatent gay bashing...then go patronize a gay bar, they've got the best beer specials anyway.

Xenophage
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
They have the freedom to act as they wish. The bar patrons have the freedom to mock the gay couple. The bar owners have the freedom to deny service to anyone.

anaconda
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
boycott any shitty bar that allows blatent gay bashing...then go patronize a gay bar, they've got the best beer specials anyway.

Either blow a kiss at the macho gay basher or accuse him of clearly being afraid that he is gay and repressing it, accounting for his infantile behavior. Then, if he assaults you, sue him for civil damages.

AuH20
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
This entire skit reeks of entrapment. Fortunately, many Americans are not homophobes.

angelatc
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I think that people who get offended by bar talk should stay the hell home.

Kludge
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Lololol

"It's fun to watch" @ 4:17

Brian4Liberty
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Gay "bashing" is wrong, and no one took the bait in the video.

On the other hand, in a well-lit, food serving pub like they have in the video, any couple getting too amorous in public is rude. That's where the phrase "get a room" came from, and of course it traditionally applied to straight couples...I'm not saying that they seemed to get that out of control though.

zach
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Sexuality or not, it's inappropriate and disrespectful, especially in public, and whoever is bashing needs to be called out on the spot.. with discretion, obviously.

If it continues at the same place with the same people, then just leave. The ignoramuses can wallow with each other in their mud.

On the other hand, I think it's inappropriate to be all over each other constantly in a public place, straight or not.

Well, if it's a bar.. just leave. Bars are meant to have dirty talk so if you can't handle it, then you shouldn't be there.

nate895
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I participate. Just because I believe you have the right to do whatever the hell you want to so long as it doesn't harm others, doesn't mean I can't bash them for doing so.

The one time I have ever got detention was for agreeing with another kid's assessment that another kid was "*****" in the seventh grade.

Edit: Assuming it's funny gay stuff, not just bashing people to bash people.

Uriel999
03-25-2009, 02:45 PM
lol, thats funny

Nate SY
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM
If it got blatantly bad, I'd complain to the management. If they told me they didn't care, I'd get over it. Their business, their choice.

You can be gay, I can say what I want, the manger can remove either of us, his choice.

*I do think gay bashing is fucked up, but just saying should be left to the managers.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
03-25-2009, 04:57 PM
homosexuality is an arbitration of nature and while I don't think it's an issue that the government should get involved with, it is still an issue which I am personally opposed to.

What is an arbitration of nature?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I participate. Just because I believe you have the right to do whatever the hell you want to so long as it doesn't harm others, doesn't mean I can't bash them for doing so.

The one time I have ever got detention was for agreeing with another kid's assessment that another kid was "*****" in the seventh grade.

Edit: Assuming it's funny gay stuff, not just bashing people to bash people.

When you were taking sex education in the sixth grade, did the school's sociologists and psychologists send you to a class for the homosexual children or for the heterosexuals? Or did they leave it up to you to decide? As a former school bus driver, I heard a lot of children calling each other "gay" and "*****" long before they knew what the words meant. But I guess they always had those "feelings" that they were different from all the normal children even before they knew about sex.

Truth Warrior
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Stay out of sports bars. DUH!!! :rolleyes: The "testosterone poisoning" types of folks are attracted to those kinds of hangouts. :p Mixed with booze, it's just BEGGING for trouble. :rolleyes:

Danke
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
What is an arbitration of nature?

Spelling Nazi. :D

Anti Federalist
03-25-2009, 07:18 PM
The world turned upside down.

Try lighting up a *oh the horror* a cigarette.

Truth Warrior
03-26-2009, 05:41 AM
The world turned upside down.

Try lighting up a *oh the horror* a cigarette. Works for me! :D I think I will.

Thanks! ;) :)

Isaac Bickerstaff
03-26-2009, 05:57 AM
I have come to believe that homosexuality is a result of malnutrition of the mother prior to and during pregnancy, leading to hormonal issues. So, yes, I think they are born that way. It's not their fault; leave them alone.

NASCAR, on the other hand, is clearly a choice.

Roxi
03-26-2009, 06:04 AM
When you were taking sex education in the sixth grade, did the school's sociologists and psychologists send you to a class for the homosexual children or for the heterosexuals? Or did they leave it up to you to decide? As a former school bus driver, I heard a lot of children calling each other "gay" and "*****" long before they knew what the words meant. But I guess they always had those "feelings" that they were different from all the normal children even before they knew about sex.

WHAT? they actually do this? separate sex ed classes for gay kids?

and almost everyone i know needs to learn which terms are derogatory these days and which are not... because everyone i know seems to have it ass backward.

Roxi
03-26-2009, 06:05 AM
I have come to believe that homosexuality is a result of malnutrition of the mother prior to and during pregnancy, leading to hormonal issues. So, yes, I think they are born that way. It's not their fault; leave them alone.

:D now thats funny right there

zach
03-26-2009, 07:37 AM
NASCAR is an alternative lifestyle choice, and because it goes against my beliefs, I will not support any bar that advocates its agenda.

Yieu
03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
WHAT? they actually do this? separate sex ed classes for gay kids?

and almost everyone i know needs to learn which terms are derogatory these days and which are not... because everyone i know seems to have it ass backward.

I think he was making a joke... there's no reason to teach about gayness in sex ed because it doesn't involve reproduction, which is the topic of the class.

misterx
03-26-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't care what someone does in their own home, but this nonsense about homosexuality being an equally valid lifestyle choice is PC run amok. You can't tell me that homosexuality is as healthy a lifestyle as heterosexuality. Being healthier makes heterosexuality a better lifestyle, and saying so should not be taboo. We need to learn how to make value judgements again or society will continue to deteriorate. People are born stupid too, should we spend millions of dollars teaching kids that it's just as "good" to be stupid as it is to be smart, that way no stupid person ever has to feel bad about the way he was born? Egalatarianism is only good to the point where people are equal under the law, beyond that it becomes ridiculous and destructive.And no, that doesn't require changing the definition of marriage. If a gay person wants to get married, they can, the law isn't stopping them. What stops them is their aversion to what marriage is, a union between a man and a woman. Any individual has the freedom to do what feels right to them; if they want to have a homosexual relationship, they are free to do so; if they want to get married, they are free to do that. To say that you must be able to do both when the two are mutually exclusive is just absurd. It's like changing the definition of drugs so you can be drug free and use drugs at the same time.

Truth Warrior
03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't care what someone does in their own home, but this nonsense about homosexuality being an equally valid lifestyle choice is PC run amok. You can't tell me that homosexuality is as healthy a lifestyle as heterosexuality. Being healthier makes heterosexuality a better lifestyle, and saying so should not be taboo. We need to learn how to make value judgements again or society will continue to deteriorate. People are born stupid too, should we spend millions of dollars teaching kids that it's just as "good" to be stupid as it is to be smart, that way no stupid person ever has to feel bad about the way he was born? Egalatarianism is only good to the point where people are equal under the law, beyond that it becomes ridiculous and destructive.And no, that doesn't require changing the definition of marriage. If a gay person wants to get married, they can, the law isn't stopping them. What stops them is their aversion to what marriage is, a union between a man and a woman. Any individual has the freedom to do what feels right to them; if they want to have a homosexual relationship, they are free to do so; if they want to get married, they are free to do that. To say that you must be able to do both when the two are mutually exclusive is just absurd. It's like changing the definition of drugs so you can be drug free and use drugs at the same time. On the bright side, the gays, in general, are not making more people. ;) :D

JosephTheLibertarian
03-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Personally I would be the first person to stand up for their freedom to act like any other straight couple might act in their situation.

Depends on how I feel. Depends on many factors. I'm not a homophobe, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm some kind of superhero. Call 911? :)

Did you know it's illegal to smoke in a NJ bar? I quit ciggs, just sayin'

brandon
03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Honestly, who cares?

If I don't know the people, I'm not going to "bash" the gay people or the ""bashers".

If I don't like it i'll leave.

And if I found out there were secret cameras and some kind of secret sociological experiment going on without my approval in my local bar, I would probably end up fighting some people.

Elwar
03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
My wife and I sometimes get comments (such as "get a room") when we get too "lovey" in the bar. Nothing over the top, just a few pecks and holding each other. But I can respect people not wanting to see too much PDA.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I might get involved, but it depends on how I feel. I'm not always feeling in the mood for confrontation. I'm not really the type that goes to gay pride parades or anything like that lol. I'm pro-gay marriage for the sake of libertarian consistency. I can't be a libertarian on everything, but then turn around and oppose gay marriage. That would make me a hypocrite.

Elwar
03-26-2009, 09:43 AM
I I'm pro-gay marriage for the sake of libertarian consistency.

Libertarian consistency would be being against government marriage. :)

JosephTheLibertarian
03-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Libertarian consistency would be being against government marriage. :)

yeah, but for the sake of having a stance on the issue rather than just be against the policy. If you create an unecessary privilege, it should be open to all. Allowing for gay marriage would be an improvement to only having one group benefit. I'm opposed to marriage licenses, but that doesn't mean I can't have a preference on the issue.

amonasro
03-26-2009, 10:11 AM

I don't think that's entirely true. In my experience there's almost always a gay relative, either out of the closet or repressed.

I also can't believe some of the comments about the gay lifestyle. It's not like there's a choice to be made if you're gay. Sure, some gay men choose to be with women and have a family, but if you're attracted to the same sex there's not much of a choice in order to feel free and happy.

constituent
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
My wife and I sometimes get comments (such as "get a room") when we get too "lovey" in the bar.

We don't go to bars (much less sports bars), but when we hear that crap in public the typical response is "go fuck yourself."

Theocrat
03-26-2009, 10:18 AM

If I owned the bar, I would ask the gay couple(s) to leave. If I were a customer, I would probably just ignore them.

Todd
03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
This entire skit reeks of entrapment. Fortunately, many Americans are not homophobes.

Absolutely. It was really devious little set up....kinda like when cops put a cop in a prostitute get up in front of some derelict and then arrest him for solicitation. :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
03-26-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't care what someone does in their own home, but this nonsense about homosexuality being an equally valid lifestyle choice is PC run amok.

I have lived my whole life in the SF Bay area. You don't know PC! It's a little out of control here. I have had many friends and co-workers who were/are gay. Being libertarian minded, I have never had an issue with it, or had any desire to tell anyone what to/not to do.

But, if you so much as crack a smile at the sight of men walking into a restaurant wearing women's clothes, you will be attacked by the women in your party. It's ironic. It's humorous. It's been a staple of comedy forever. But don't you dare crack a smile...

(Apologies to women for the gross generalization, but I have never had a male give me the evil eye for cracking a smile in those incidents. Even gay males crack up at that, or on the other hand, they may get mad because they believe they are "making things worse").

Perry
03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm bothered by both the gay couple and the straight couple. You just don't act like that in public. A healthy, socially aware couple does not fondle, kiss and feed each other in public.
I did that with my girlfriends when I was nineteen and then I grew up and learned some social skills.
If they were merely sitting there talking and not acting out like they were on stage I doubt many people would even pay attention. It's the flamboyancy that irritates people.

Danke
03-26-2009, 10:51 AM
But, if you so much as crack a smile at the sight of men walking into a restaurant wearing women's clothes, you will be attacked by the women in your party. It's ironic. It's humorous. It's been a staple of comedy forever. But don't you dare crack a smile...

I was at the gun shop yesterday, and the "woman" at the counter had a very deep voice. So I had to look. The hands were huge, and when I saw the face, yep, that's a dude with long hair in a dress. ;)

Terrible fashion taste BTW. Really ugly outfit.

He was buying a mean looking long gun. :eek::D

Theocrat
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm bothered by both the gay couple and the straight couple. You just don't act like that in public. A healthy, socially aware couple does not fondle, kiss and feed each other in public.
I did that with my girlfriends when I was nineteen and then I grew up and learned some social skills.
If they were merely sitting there talking and not acting out like they were on stage I doubt many people would even pay attention. It's the flamboyancy that irritates people.

I think I understand where you're coming from. It's sometimes like gay couples want to be seen in their public displays of affection for each other. In a sense, they are proud to be open about their sexual preferences (almost to convict the general public in acceptance of their lifestyle). The attitude seems to be, "Look at us. We're just as in love as any other person, if not more so." To me, it's similar to a well-endowed woman who isn't afraid to flaunt her breasts in public. Some things are better left in the privacy of one's home.

Reason
03-26-2009, 12:15 PM

I hope you're kidding...

Minarchy4Sale
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
eh. if I gotta watch two dudes make out to eat, Im leaving. I dont think people should bash gays, and what they do with their bodies is their own business, but I certainly dont want it in my face.

The owner of the establishment determines what behavior is acceptable. If he tolerates open homosexual activity in his joint, he wont get my cash. Hows that for a free market solution?

HRD53
03-26-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm glad i'm not the only one who was annoyed by the entrapment methods used in this segment. Listen, i'm glad that our society, on the whole, is more tolerant of homosexuals and they certainly should not be discriminated against. Nevertheless I was very annoyed by the fact that they kind of villainized the one unsuspecting patron when he stated in a conversational tone that he was disgusted by the gay couple. I mean he didn't even say that until the actors goaded him and then the program made the guy look like an asshole because he doesn't personally agree with homosexuality. He wasn't being confrontational, just stating his opinion to the people next to him, but because his opinion wasn't 'PC', he was made to look bad...

Annoying... very annoying.

krazy kaju
03-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Maybe we should just leave it up to the bar owners whether or not they accept gay couples.

... you know, the libertarian solution consistent with PROPERTY RIGHTS.

surf
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
of course they're gonna defend the couple - that was a pretty gay-ass sports bar.