PDA

View Full Version : most important part of the const.

slothman
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
If the constitution was completely abolished except for 1 clause what would you want that clouse to be?
I am personally for the freedom of the press.
The gov't shouldn't be able to jail, or worse, you for anti-government speech.
This includes stuff like traffic stops which are really to prosicute(sp) you for the speech.

demolama
03-24-2009, 11:39 PM
The lack of a constitution means no federal government thus no need for any left over clauses. The federal constitution is the chains for the federal government only and with its removal also removes the federal government.

Mini-Me
03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
If the constitution was completely abolished except for 1 clause what would you want that clouse to be?
I am personally for the freedom of the press.
The gov't shouldn't be able to jail, or worse, you for anti-government speech.
This includes stuff like traffic stops which are really to prosicute(sp) you for the speech.

If the Constitution were completely abolished and replaced with ONLY one clause, I'd want it to be:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
;)

However, if the government had absolute power and could only be limited by one clause, things would already be so out of control and political change would be so hopeless that only one clause could provide any semblance of hope:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Of course, that amendment doesn't have any teeth even under our current government (which is not yet absolute). Frankly, when it comes to a government with otherwise absolute power, no single clause from the Constitution would restrict it in any meaningful way (including freedom of speech, press, etc. - the government will just kill you for speaking out and give another reason for it, and since they'd be "allowed" to kill you for any OTHER reason, well...).

beerista
03-25-2009, 12:36 AM
We already have pretty much this state of affairs. Unfortunately, over the years, the whole Constitution has been thrown out with the exception of the "General Welfare" clause.

If it were up to me, I'd keep the "Congress shall make no law" clause and call it a day.

nayjevin
03-25-2009, 12:39 AM
If it were up to me, I'd keep the "Congress shall make no law" clause and call it a day.

+1