PDA

View Full Version : Well, aren't we all a bunch of sorry SOBs.

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, and I hope I am, not a one of us, myself included, made note of the fact that yesterday, 23 March, marked the anniversary of Patrick Henry's "Liberty or Death speech.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/March/On-This-Day--Patrick-Henry-Delivers-Liberty-or-Death-Speech.html

The One
03-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, and I hope I am, not a one of us, myself included, made note of the fact that yesterday, 23 March, marked the anniversary of Patrick Henry's "Liberty or Death speech.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/March/On-This-Day--Patrick-Henry-Delivers-Liberty-or-Death-Speech.html

I am especially disappointed in you, A-F. I hold you to a higher standard than the rest.

nate895
03-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Life will go on. I still love the speech...

fedup100
03-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Honestly, I think people tried to quietly ignore it due to the obvious fact it is again time to make that choice!

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
I am especially disappointed in you, A-F. I hold you to a higher standard than the rest.

Myself, *gahh*.

I hang my head in forum shame.

:(

tremendoustie
03-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Huzzah for Mr. Henry!! We could really use a few of him about now.

Theocrat
03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Huzzah for Mr. Henry!! We could really use a few of him about now.

We're still here. ;)

heavenlyboy34
03-24-2009, 06:51 PM

I'm not very good with anniversaries and birthdays. :( Sorry, AF.

pcosmar
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Thank you for the reminder. even if late. :)
http://libertyonline.hypermall.com/henry-liberty.html

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

The whole speech is worth the read, and timely too.

jmdrake
03-24-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks for posting this! This quote is my one liner for all of the coward neocons who want to say "The constitution is not a suicide pact". What part of "liberty or death" do these fools not understand?

Young Paleocon
03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Now for our penance, tomorrow we must all go out firing guns in the air, shooting fireworks, then find a Keynesian and say "Give me liberty or give me death"!, and punch the Keynesian in the back of the head.

pcosmar
03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting this! This quote is my one liner for all of the coward neocons who want to say "The constitution is not a suicide pact". What part of "liberty or death" do these fools not understand?

To me it is not suicide. It is a warning.
I am not that damn easy to kill. ;)

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Both parts. ;)

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Now for our penance, tomorrow we must all go out firing guns in the air, shooting fireworks, then find a Keynesian and say "Give me liberty or give me death"!, and punch the Keynesian in the back of the head.

Well, just so happened I was shooting yesterday.

Bought another rifle, "pre ban" Pac West Arms/Colt AR-15 HBAR in 7.62x39.

WooT

tremendoustie
03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Both parts. ;)

Well, there's also the part where you get off the couch.

The modern version would be something like, "I'll trade you one liberty and a big scoop of dignity for a budwieser, a barcalounger, and a 50 inch."

Young Paleocon
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, just so happened I was shooting yesterday.

Bought another rifle, "pre ban" Pac West Arms/Colt AR-15 HBAR in 7.62x39.

WooT

Do you think the military is going to take up the ar-10 6.8 mm for their new assault rifle? My dad got one the other day and I'm wondering if their is any possibility of the ammo is coming down for it in the future.

Zolah
03-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Well well, I had noticed it on the 23rd thanks to wikipedia :p And I was also very proud to learn that Patrick Henry's family is originally from Aberdeenshire in Scotland where I'm from :) Our 2 best exports, Patrick Henry and Aberdeen angus beef, no need to thank us, just enjoy them both!

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Do you think the military is going to take up the ar-10 6.8 mm for their new assault rifle? My dad got one the other day and I'm wondering if their is any possibility of the ammo is coming down for it in the future.

I can't speak to whether or not the military will adopt that rifle, meaning, your guess is as good as mine.;)

But the 6.8 mm ammo is available, although pricey.

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=APRC68R4

That being said, if you are looking for one for yourself someday soon, I would stick with current models out there chambered for readily available surplus cartridges, .223 (although I'm not a fan of the .22 caliber popgun) 7.62 and .308

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Well, there's also the part where you get off the couch.

The modern version would be something like, "I'll trade you one liberty and a big scoop of dignity for a budwieser, a barcalounger, and a 50 inch."

Lulz, funny, sad and infuriating all at the same time.:D:(:mad:

Young Paleocon
03-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Yea we've got .223s also, just didn't know if you had any idea on the 6.8mm.

TastyWheat
03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
I actually think I read his speech on the 23rd, not actually knowing that's when he said it. Anyway, if I were present for that speech I may have pulled him aside to clarify that liberty cannot be given, it can only be taken.

beerista
03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Anybody got a link to the video?

Youtube or it didn't happen.

Danke
03-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Also on the 23rd:

In 1919, Benito Mussolini founds the Fascist movement in Italy. In 1933, the German Reichstag passes the 'Enabling Act', giving Adolph Hitler dictatorial powers. In 1956, Pakistan becomes the world's first Islamic republic. In 2006, the Federal Reserve stops publishing 'M-3'-- the complete report of money supply-- thus acting to conceal key policy indices.

Kludge's March 23rd posts samples:

YES!

YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!

Look at all those dead babies!!

Eh, it's far more fascinating to hook the head of a Jew or Mexican. You can hear them scream.

Danke
03-25-2009, 06:18 AM
March 24- In 1765, Britain passes the "Quartering Act", requiring the American colonists to house British troops. In 1999, NATO attacks Yugoslavia.

March 25- In 1584, Sir Walter Raleigh is granted a royal patent over Virginia. In 1634, the first colonists arrive in Maryland. In 1655, Christopher Huygens discovers Titan, Saturn's largest moon. In 1807, the "Slave Trade Act" abolishes slave-trading within the British Empire (but the forms of slavery known as "conscription" and "impressment" are unaffected by the act...). In 1957, the European Economic Community is established in an effort to equip European states with the economic benefits of free trade among members such as have been enjoyed by the American states since they agreed to abolish trade restrictions amongst themselves under the revised Articles of Confederation (the United States Constitution). In 1996, a stand-off begins between members of the "Montana Freemen" and U.S. marshalls.

March 26- In 1830, the Book of Mormon is published. In 1953, Jonas Salk announces his polio vaccine. In 1970, the United States sets off its 500th nuclear explosion since 1945. In 1975, the Who's "Tommy" premiers in London. In 1999, Dr. Jack Kevorkian is found guilt of second-degree murder for assisting with the suicide of a terminally ill customer.

Roxi
03-25-2009, 06:32 AM
best thread title ever!

Cowlesy
09-02-2009, 05:19 PM
//

speciallyblend
09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
421 can you give me a minute;)

Anti Federalist
04-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Well, damn...missed it again...ten years gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWbO9a1_Z3U

TheTexan
04-11-2019, 03:10 PM
"Liberty or death"

Said the dead man

oyarde
04-11-2019, 03:13 PM
March 24- In 1765, Britain passes the "Quartering Act", requiring the American colonists to house British troops. In 1999, NATO attacks Yugoslavia.

March 25- In 1584, Sir Walter Raleigh is granted a royal patent over Virginia. In 1634, the first colonists arrive in Maryland. In 1655, Christopher Huygens discovers Titan, Saturn's largest moon. In 1807, the "Slave Trade Act" abolishes slave-trading within the British Empire (but the forms of slavery known as "conscription" and "impressment" are unaffected by the act...). In 1957, the European Economic Community is established in an effort to equip European states with the economic benefits of free trade among members such as have been enjoyed by the American states since they agreed to abolish trade restrictions amongst themselves under the revised Articles of Confederation (the United States Constitution). In 1996, a stand-off begins between members of the "Montana Freemen" and U.S. marshalls.

March 26- In 1830, the Book of Mormon is published. In 1953, Jonas Salk announces his polio vaccine. In 1970, the United States sets off its 500th nuclear explosion since 1945. In 1975, the Who's "Tommy" premiers in London. In 1999, Dr. Jack Kevorkian is found guilt of second-degree murder for assisting with the suicide of a terminally ill customer.

908 Tang dynasty Emperor was poisoned . 1169 Saladin becomes King of Egypt . 1351 Combat of the Thirty Breton Knights .

heavenlyboy34
04-11-2019, 03:17 PM
"Liberty or death"

Said the dead man

Well, he did originally say it when he was alive...