http://www.ky3.com/news/political/blog/41721617.html
State apologizes for security report targeting third party groups
By David Catanese, KY3 Political Reporter
Tools

Story Published: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM CDT
Story Updated: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM CDT
By Brian Vandenberg

SPRINGFIELD -- A state security report that's causing an uproar among conservatives has led to an apology from the head of Missouri's Public Safety Department.

The 8-page report was produced by the Missouri Information Analysis Center. It was designed to be a training document for law enforcement on how to identify homegrown threats. But considerable backlash from conservatives has prompted an apology from the state.

The report, entitled "The Modern Militia Movement," paints right wing groups as a potential domestic security threat.

But how those groups are defined is what has caused the uproar.

"It seems like it's an attack on a lot of right wing views, a lot of views that I find very sacred," said conservative Clayton Bowler of Springfield. (View the report on Bowler's blog HERE.)

Christians, anti-abortionists, tax resistors, anti-immigration advocates and supporters of third party candidates like Ron Paul are all listed as characteristics of "ideologies" to watch out for.

"I started reading it, and I'm like, 'Oh my gosh, that sounds like me in some of these things.' I'm a Christian, I'm pro-life, I'm a conservative," said Bowler, who stumbled upon the report accidentally while surfing through the blogosphere.

That Internet chatter quickly trickled up to Jefferson City, where conservative lawmakers were poised to take action this week.

"I don't want to evolve into a society where people are watched just because they're out participating in some freedom of speech activity," said State Rep. Shane Schoeller of Willard. (To view more video of Schoeller's comments, click HERE.)

By late Monday afternoon, the Department of Public Safety apologized for targeting any third party political candidates in its report.

"I have ordered that the offending report be edited to excise all reference to Ron Paul, Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin," wrote Department of Public Safety Director John Britt in a letter to the candidates released to KY3 News. "I regret that those components were ultimately included," Britt went on.

"While the intent of the report was only to identify certain traits that are sometimes shared by members of militia organizations, this report is too easily misinterpreted as suggesting that militia members may be identified by no other indicator than support for a particular candidate or political organization," wrote Britt.

That apology still doesn't go far enough for some conservatives, and Republicans believe the controversy could cause a political program for Gov. Jay Nixon, whose name appears on the report's letterhead.

Missourians United For Life has filed a complaint with the American Civil Liberties Union against Nixon, who is, for now, standing by the rest of the report.

That offends Bowler.

"There's a better way to say it. You can say anti-Semite without using the word Christian," said Bowler. "I think it needs to be written from a more balanced perspective," he said.

hotbrownsauce
03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
according to this blog
http://lifeofjason.com/2009/03/23/missouri-public-safety-director-britt-barr-paul-baldwin-references-unnecessary-inclusion/

the letter said

March 23, 2009

Rep. Ron Paul
203 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Mr. Bob Barr
900 Circle 75 Parkway, Suite 1280
Atlanta, Georgia 30339

Mr. Chuck Baldwin
6800 Mobile Highway
Pensacola, Florida 32526

Dear Rep. Paul, Mr. Barr and Mr. Baldwin:

As head of the state agency responsible for oversight of the Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC), I want to respond to your letter of March 20, 2009, regarding a report by the MIAC on the militia movement. Portions of that report may be easily construed by readers as offensive to supporters of certain political candidates or to those candidates themselves. I regret that those components were ultimately included in the final report issued by the MIAC.

The Missouri Department of Public Safety places the utmost value on the safety and well-being of Missouri’s law enforcement officers –a value I am certain we share with you and your supporters. Officers of the law do the most dangerous job of anyone in our society and regularly put themselves in the path of great danger, bodily harm and death in order to protect innocent citizens. As such, it is our regular practice to provide as much information as we can to law enforcement agencies and their officers so they are fully cognizant of any situational hazard which they may encounter.

Unfortunately, in the course of preparing this report, some regrettable information was included in the report on militia groups in Missouri. While the intent of the report was only to identify certain traits that are sometimes shared by members of militia organizations, this report is too easily misinterpreted as suggesting that militia members may be identified by no other indicator than support for a particular candidate or political organization. That is an undesired and unwarranted outcome. Upon review and reflection, it is the judgment of the Department of Public Safety that the report should have made no reference to supporters of Ron Paul, Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin or of any other third-party political organization or candidate.

In recognition of the mistaken inclusion of this information by the MIAC in its February 20, 2009, report on the militia movement, I have ordered that the offending report be edited so as to excise all reference to Ron Paul, Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin and to any third-party political organizations. Additionally, you may rest assured that the report is not posted on any website maintained by the State of Missouri.

The Missouri Department of Public Safety regrets any inconvenience or issues caused inadvertently by the unnecessary inclusion of certain components by MIAC in its militia report.

Respectfully,

John M.Britt
Director

sparebulb
03-23-2009, 08:09 PM
This is a good, albeit, temporary victory.

You can't unring the fascist bell, however. They have only removed small selected bits of information from the documents that we can see. We won't know what information is contained in those documents that we can't see. After all, we weren't even supposed to see the MIAC report. I am positive that this has been a team-building exercise throughout all levels of law enforcement to more firmly entrench the us/them mentality. Most cops throughout Missouri will still be looking for RP bumper stickers to exact some revenge.

Original_Intent
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
A public repudiation would have been the right thing to do, but frankly I am surprised they gave this much ground.

nayjevin
03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Nothing changes. MIAC made a pragmatic, damage control decision - not a moral judgment or correction of 'oversight'.

Make no mistake - no attitude has changed within government. It is still our job to tell the world how police in America operate when it is against the interests of the very folks brave cops are meant to protect.

I'm Not A Terrorist: Redress of Grievance Re: Missouri Police: http://tinyurl.com/dkaros

ronpaulhawaii
03-23-2009, 08:26 PM
The 10 most dangerous jobsOccupationFatalities per 100,000
Timber cutters117.8
Fishers71.1
Pilots and navigators69.8
Structural metal workers58.2
Drivers-sales workers37.9
Roofers37
Electrical power installers32.5
Farm occupations28
Construction laborers27.7
Truck drivers25
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics; survey of occupations with minimum 30 fatalities and 45,000 workers in 2002

and what about the big link in my sig? are they going to excise that as well...

pcosmar
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Timber cutters117.8
Fishers71.1
Roofers37
Farm occupations28
Truck drivers25
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics; survey of occupations with minimum 30 fatalities and 45,000 workers in 2002

Thank you, That caught my eye too.
Ron Paul mentioned the most important thing in his interview. That no one had been killed by the militia.
The MIAC report is still bullshit about bullshit.

ronpaulhawaii
03-23-2009, 08:51 PM
ya know, I'm thinking that this event may be a great opportunity to force open a discussion of Constitutional Militia.

Here is an excerpt from Dr. Vieira's book on the subject

"Officeholders open defiance or reckless disregard of, or willful blindness to, what "the supreme law" plainly mandates in this particular amounts not simply to intellectual incompetence, political error, or even moral lapse. Rather, it is as well a CONSTITUTIONAL CRIME of essentially boundless proportions - encompassing, as it necessarily does, responsibility for all the deaths, injuries, or destruction of property; all the infringements on individuals' fundamental constitutional liberties and kinderd civil rights; and all the other evil consequences arising out of a garrison, "national security", or police state that could be prevented by following the Constitution's directives as to the [militia of the several states]. Officeholders, and their their advisors need to ponder this seriously, because the Constituion neither provides nor countenances any immunity from punishment or statue of limitations for such a crime"

pcosmar
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
ya know, I'm thinking that this event may be a great opportunity to force open a discussion of Constitutional Militia.

It should be an open subject for discussion, however the overwhelming propaganda has been effective. Mention the word and people immediately start thinking it means a bunch of warmongers itching to overthrow the government.
The witch hunts have driven most of the Patriots underground and the anti-gun/anti-2nd crowd wants to perpetuate the myth.
Things like this MIAC Report only reinforce this.

Madison
03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Meh, the report is still bullshit even without those names. Being against abortion is dangerous how exactly?

Maverick
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah, they can't just remove the names and say "ok, it's all better now." Even though they removed the slander against Ron Paul, Bob Barr, and Chuck Baldwin, lies and slander still remain against other individuals.

pinkmandy
03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
It's still a profiling document.

bluto20
03-23-2009, 10:58 PM
does their version of "editing" the report just mean that we will no longer be able to view it online? that's what i got out of it.

Dripping Rain
03-23-2009, 11:08 PM
not enough. this is childsplay by MIAC
heres a list compiled by ALIPAC
theres so many groups listed. they wont give up
Ron Paul needs to fight for all of these groups and he will have their loyalty and support forever

America's defeat in the Viet Nam War
Increased levels of legal or illegal immigration
Illegal Immigrants, Drug Smugglers, gangs, violent illegal aliens
Unemployment
Cost of living increases
Tom Clancey Novels
Soldier of Fortune Magazine
Combat Movies
Books, movies, and TV Shows that "glorified white males and portrayed them as morally upright heroes who were mentally and physically tough"
Obama's plans for gun restrictions
Obama's birth certificate and eligibility for office
NORTHCOM or deployment of US Troops against Americans
FEMA
The Federal Reserve
Tax collection and the IRS
The Ammunition Accountability Act
The economic collapse of the US Government
Martial Law in America
Russian economic analyst Igor Panin's predictions the US will break up into regions controlled by foreign governments.
Civil War in America
The approaching Constitutional Convention
The North American Union, SPP, North American Community
NAFTA highway infrastructure projects
Obama's plan for national service programs HB 1388
RFID chips and privacy rights.
Military Simulation Events
Short Wave Radios
Online forums, blogs, social networking sites, and online radio shows.
Gun Shows
3rd Party Politics Specifically the Constitution Party, Libertarian Party, Campaign for Liberty, Presidential Candidates Congressman Bobb Barr and Reverend Chuck Baldwin.
GOP Politics, specifically Presidential Candidate Congressman Ron Paul
Anti Illegal immigration Materials or bumper stickers
Anti Abortion materials or bumper stickers
Historic US Flags or Inverted US Flags in distress posture

He Who Pawns
03-23-2009, 11:41 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

those stupid idiots got WHORESLAPPED!!!!!

qh4dotcom
03-24-2009, 12:22 AM
The damage is already done....removing Barr's, Paul's and Baldwin's name from the report does not guarantee that law enforcement officers who have read it will treat Barr's, Paul's, and Baldwin's supporters as they did before the smear document was released.

acptulsa
03-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Christians, anti-abortionists, tax resistors, anti-immigration advocates and supporters of third party candidates like Ron Paul are all listed as characteristics of "ideologies" to watch out for.

Third party candidate third party candidate third party candidate third party candidate third party candidate third party candidate third party candidate........

The guy hasn't been a third party candidate since two Bushes ago. That's a freaking generation. Two decades. Last millenium. Before some legal voters were born.

How do we turn this naked attempt to belittle and marginalize Dr. Paul to our advantage? Can we redirect their propaganda into something that causes respect for third party candidates?

Dear Governor Nixon:

Profiling people on the basis of the campaign paraphenalia they display does not just offend supporters of the candidates your state mentioned. It is an affront to everyone but everyone who thinks this nation is a republic.

Also, if the safety of your law enforcement officers is of greater importance to you than the safety of the general public, then why do you maintain law enforcement officers at all? If their safety is more important than the safety of the people they're trained and paid to keep safe, send them home. Under those conditions, we're better off protecting each other without your 'help'.

AutoDas
03-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Meh, the report is still bullshit even without those names. Being against abortion is dangerous how exactly?

Some people sympathetic to the pro-life movement have bombed abortionist clinics and attacked doctors.

acptulsa
03-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Some people sympathetic to the pro-life movement have bombed abortionist clinics and attacked doctors.

Well good. Let's throw the baby out with the bathwater, then.

Um--I probably could have picked a better analogy for this one...

So, he realized that the organized attempts to stifle political free speech in their republic wasn't flying and retracted it. Now, Nixon has to think about how many voters there are in the state--and especially in the southwest corner--who hate abortion. Missouri is a populous state and incredibly varied. If we keep tickling the groups listed in the memo, I wonder if we can eventually get a line-by-line repudiation of the whole pos?

rancher89
03-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Last night Glenn Beck and Ron Paul--short version, why didn't the report talk about the left wing extremists, such as ELF? Ron's response--they must be a left leaning group and singling out right leaning people and groups

Now this is a synopsis of what was said, not exact words, someone should post the utube, I'm not utube qualified....

Anyway, the point is, as long as there are left leaning groups out there posting profiling material, the only groups they will profile will be the right leaning groups. HMMMM, maybe a right leaning group needs to profile left leaning groups? Tree huggers, PETA, Code Pink........I haven't kept up with who's doing what lately....

RPH--maybe another spoof of the original report????:D

acptulsa
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Rancher, you're brilliant! Where was that thought before the parody was pronounced complete?!

If only we could convince Missouri cops that they're a left-leaning group, those ol' boys will use everything the MIAC produces in the future as toilet paper sooner rather than later! Seriously!

Hmmm... How to reach them. Hey guys! The MIAC just spoon feeds you from the SPLC. You seriously listen to that crap? Pansy asses!!

Anyone want to try this on a gun forum? :D

pcosmar
03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I am more concerned with the main focus of the MIAC report. All the other issues are annoying and frankly stupid. The Focus was on the Militia.
Take a look at the Missouri Militia
http://www.missourimilitia.com/

And try to set aside the 10+ years of propaganda.

tonesforjonesbones
03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I wonder when we will hammer the true sources for these types of propaganda spreading...the Anti Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center? Those are the real instigators. Tones

ronpaulhawaii
03-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Last night Glenn Beck and Ron Paul--short version, why didn't the report talk about the left wing extremists, such as ELF? Ron's response--they must be a left leaning group and singling out right leaning people and groups

Now this is a synopsis of what was said, not exact words, someone should post the utube, I'm not utube qualified....

Anyway, the point is, as long as there are left leaning groups out there posting profiling material, the only groups they will profile will be the right leaning groups. HMMMM, maybe a right leaning group needs to profile left leaning groups? Tree huggers, PETA, Code Pink........I haven't kept up with who's doing what lately....

RPH--maybe another spoof of the original report????:D

heh -I don't know that we want to dilute the spoof with multiple versions.

Perhaps a new style of 'letters to the editor' and press releases?

and I agree with pcosmar that our main focus should be on turning the discussion to the actual militia

acptulsa
03-24-2009, 07:41 AM
I am more concerned with the main focus of the MIAC report. All the other issues are annoying and frankly stupid. The Focus was on the Militia.

I wish to annoy them by repudiating every single stupid part of it, myself.

I wonder when we will hammer the true sources for these types of propaganda spreading...the Anti Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center? Those are the real instigators. Tones

We've got to have proof that they originated it first--and we aren't having much luck with that yet. But I agree with you completely. It would be very, very good to nip this crap right in the bud.

pcosmar
03-24-2009, 07:53 AM
What ever happened to the Sunshine law/FOIA information? It would be nice to see where this crap originated.

pcosmar
03-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Good article here.
The Radical Polarization of Law (Enforcement)
http://www.augustreview.com/news_commentary/general/the_radical_polarization_of_law_enforcement_200903 18113/

The SPLC aggressively offers training to local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. According to the SPLC web site, "We focus on the history, background, leaders and activities of far-right extremists in the U.S." and states that it "is internationally known for its tolerance education programs, its legal victories against white supremacists and its tracking of hate groups."

Hate crimes are essentially acts of vilification of a victim because of his or her membership in a certain social group, such as racial, religious, sexual orientation, nationality, gender, etc. While hate crimes are wrong under any circumstance, the SPLC sees no conflict in profiling conservative whites, Christians, Constitutionalists, and patriots as being associated with, if not responsible for, hate crimes in America. This is the pot calling the kettle black.

For instance, consider the SPLC statement, "...a basic fact about all three movements: Patriots, white supremacists and anti-abortion militants are all fueled by interpretations of religion."

Aside from the fact that this sweeping generalization is plainly not true, it is mud-slinging at its best: Patriots are lumped in with white supremacists, anti-abortionists are militants, and all are driven by an obviously irrational and fanatical application of religion.

acptulsa
03-24-2009, 08:22 AM
The more I think about it, the more I feel we can short-circuit the SPLC by going on gun forums and informing the people there (no small number of whom are cops) that their 'fusion centers' are just laundering and passing along crap from this and possibly other liberal (gasp!) organizations.

specsaregood
03-24-2009, 08:28 AM
What ever happened to the Sunshine law/FOIA information? It would be nice to see where this crap originated.

I think finding the origin of this filth is the most important goal.

Reason
03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I think finding the origin of this filth is the most important goal.

agreed!

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Timber cutters117.8
Fishers71.1
Roofers37
Farm occupations28
Truck drivers25

I have spent my whole adult life working in all three of the most dangerous industries, I've been a lumberjack, commercial FISHERMAN (god I hate that PC term "fishers": a "fisher" is a wildcat or bird depending on what part of the country you are in, FFS) and am now a Merchant Marine captain. I've also flown airplane banners. The only other dangerous industry, that is usually in the top five, miner, is one I've never worked in.

I have zero sympathy for the crocodile tears that flow whenever an "officer" goes down in the line of duty. Fact is, "cop" doesn't even make the list and of the deaths, the majority are from traffic accidents and getting hit on the side on the road.

pcosmar
03-24-2009, 08:57 PM
I have zero sympathy for the crocodile tears that flow whenever an "officer" goes down in the line of duty. Fact is, "cop" doesn't even make the list and of the deaths, the majority are from traffic accidents and getting hit on the side on the road.

And suicides.
http://privateofficernews.wordpress.com/2008/12/11/st-louis-police-officer-commits-suicide-wwwprivateofficercom/

ST. LOUIS, MO Dec 11 2008 (KTVI-myFOXstl.com)
Just a few hours after he learned he might be the target of a child pornography investigation in St. Louis County, a St. Louis City policeman committed suicide.
The 37-year-old man, originally from Bosnia, was identified by local Bosnian leaders as Vladimir Vujica. He had been a city officer for two and a half years.
Tuesday, St. Louis County detectives notified Vujica that they had a search warrant to seize his home computer. He gave them the key to his condominium in Mehlville.
Officers entered the home while Vujica was on duty in the city and took the computer and some papers, according to County Police spokeswoman Officer Tracy Panus. She said a computer software program had traced the transfer of child pornography to a computer IP address that was located at Vujica’s home.

The most unfortunate thing is that very soon those good cops are going to have the choice between wearing a target or throwing it in the ditch.
If their leaders won't repudiate this document, they need to step up and speak out.

Anti Federalist
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
If their leaders won't repudiate this document, they need to step up and speak out.

Thankfully, it was a "good cop" on the inside that leaked the document to Alex Jones, and the rest is history.

Reason
03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
anyone have any news on the source being revealed yet?

idiom
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I am not sure that the original report wasn't accurate. If you have principles then an unprincipled government will eventually go to far for you.

Carole
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
http://www.ky3.com/news/political/blog/41721617.html
By David Catanese, KY3 Political Reporter
Tools

Story Published: Mar 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM CDT
Story Updated: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM CDT
By Brian Vandenberg

SPRINGFIELD -- A state security report that's causing an uproar among conservatives has led to an apology from the head of Missouri's Public Safety Department.

The 8-page report was produced by the Missouri Information Analysis Center. It was designed to be a training document for law enforcement on how to identify homegrown threats. But considerable backlash from conservatives has prompted an apology from the state.

The report, entitled "The Modern Militia Movement," paints right wing groups as a potential domestic security threat.

But how those groups are defined is what has caused the uproar.

"It seems like it's an attack on a lot of right wing views, a lot of views that I find very sacred," said conservative Clayton Bowler of Springfield. (View the report on Bowler's blog HERE.)

"I started reading it, and I'm like, 'Oh my gosh, that sounds like me in some of these things.' I'm a Christian, I'm pro-life, I'm a conservative," said Bowler, who stumbled upon the report accidentally while surfing through the blogosphere.

That Internet chatter quickly trickled up to Jefferson City, where conservative lawmakers were poised to take action this week.

"I don't want to evolve into a society where people are watched just because they're out participating in some freedom of speech activity," said State Rep. Shane Schoeller of Willard. (To view more video of Schoeller's comments, click HERE.)

By late Monday afternoon, the Department of Public Safety apologized for targeting any third party political candidates in its report.

"I have ordered that the offending report be edited to excise all reference to Ron Paul, Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin," wrote Department of Public Safety Director John Britt in a letter to the candidates released to KY3 News. "I regret that those components were ultimately included," Britt went on.

"While the intent of the report was only to identify certain traits that are sometimes shared by members of militia organizations, this report is too easily misinterpreted as suggesting that militia members may be identified by no other indicator than support for a particular candidate or political organization," wrote Britt.

That apology still doesn't go far enough for some conservatives, and Republicans believe the controversy could cause a political program for Gov. Jay Nixon, whose name appears on the report's letterhead.

Missourians United For Life has filed a complaint with the American Civil Liberties Union against Nixon, who is, for now, standing by the rest of the report.

That offends Bowler.

"There's a better way to say it. You can say anti-Semite without using the word Christian," said Bowler. "I think it needs to be written from a more balanced perspective," he said.
Nearly the entire report needs to be removed. It is an abomination.

JK/SEA
03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Someone in our Ron Paul YAHOO group said this was 'obviously a FAKE document'...

Interesting take.

Reason
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
anyone have any news on the source being revealed yet?